Epson EMP-500 any good?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by jasonb, Oct 26, 2002.

1. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Basically I'm on a limited budget and one of these has popped up for a good price Low lamp hours, 800 luminens, RGB input and S-video. SXVGA ect.... But what I want to know is whether it is any good for H/C. Have any of you guys out there got one and what is the best way to connect it up / general tips.

2. Richard Thomas

Richard Thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi

Much will depend on what you are paying for the machine as to whether it is a good buy.

They are a good product but are LDC technology and being SVGA the "grid effect" will show whilst with DLP technology you get a purer image.

Could go into all the tech stuff but basically would suggest you consider for around £1,500 inc VAT you can get a brand new InFocus 500 with a two year warranty and 2,000 lumens. Superb machine on video and you get a two year warranty (first year "hot swap" and second year RTB. Bulbs are not covered for the full period of the warranty. With bulbs costing up to £300.00 and repair costs being high if you were paying £800 for an old machine if could easily not be a bargain in six months time.

Hope this is of some use to you.

3. theritz

theritz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +27
    Don't know anything about rge EMP 500, Jasonb, but that reply you just got sounds awfully like an advertisement to me............ any moderators care to comment (especially in light of recent discussion re Optoma release)

The reply didn'nt make any attempt to give the info requested by the original poster and proceeds to make a plug for a different product.

Sean G.

4. Richard Thomas

Richard Thomas

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Pardon me Sean - You are right I did not comment on technical side as I was waiting a reply - advise on what is good can only come when you know what the person has as a budget and expectations. This was my first posting and I was trying to take a wider view - go easy on us virgins!!!

However now that I am coming back -

EMP500 is a good LCD product but much will depend on your expectations. The early Epsons did suffer from stuck pixels so watch out for that. I think that the 500 was the first of the new generation which did not suffer from this so this may well be OK. Up to 5 dead pixels are generally allowed under warranty so many projectors will have some.

It is not designed as a home cinema projector and you will get some bleed around the edges on bright colours.

It is a while since I have seen this but from memory it is a traditional LCD projector with SVGA (15 pin mini din) S-VHS and Composite Inputs.

Whilst I have not tried this myself I understand from some people who are real perfectionists that you can get a Scart to 15 pin SVGA input which gives a much better picture. Think that this was bought from RGB communications and cost about £75.00.

I have got a product from Keene that I use for Plasma which is similar so you could try them as well.

That said you may be happy with it through S-VHS or Composite as a first step into home cinema. Make sure you are happy with teh person selling it to you. There are a lot of stolen machines out there!

5. jasonb

jasonb

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Heres a thought,
    If I got one of these leads would I be able to get a scart multi adaptor i.e 3 in then one out and plug in DVD, PS2 and NTL and plug the lead in the scart output then to the PJ has anyone tried this and if so how well does it work?

Also I've been offered the PJ for £500. It only has 300 hundred hrs on the bulb from new and no dead pixels.

6. Smurfin

Smurfin
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,386
    oh jesus, aren't we getting a little anal on here?

Pleeeaaase.......lighten up people.

7. hermand

hermand
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    To answer the original poster....

I used one of these at work during the world cup - and it was perfectly presentable for watching video - it was projected onto a blank wall, approx 4' X 3' image, composite connection from digital terrestrial box. Watching from about 10 feet away there was no discernable screen door, and the picture was perfectly acceptable, while by no means stunning (colour bleed on bright reds - e.g. korean shirts, etc.)

Also has s-video and HD-15(VGA) connections but didn't use them.

FWIW the EMP-500 is 800x600 (i.e. SVGA, not SXVGA or whatever)

I have a Panny PTAE100 at home now, and obviously this is a good bet for HC, but having not been able to compare like for like in same conditions, could not say how much of a difference there is.

Poking finger in the air for a second, if you could pick up the Epson for £400 or less, assuming reasonably good condition, I'd say that was a reasonable price. Much more than that and I'd think about saving for a Panny.

Hope that helps

Herman