EPSON EH-TW9500 Native 4K Laser LCD (Fake news)

Status
Not open for further replies.

alebonau

there she blows... :D

4k native laser LCD, 5000 lumens, hdmi 2.1 dolby vision HDR 10+ and HDR support.... is it a mirage ... or real.. looks real enough :D

GAME CHANGER ! BRING IT ON ! ain't competition a great thing !

EPSON EH-TW9500 and EH-TW9500W: Native 4K Laser LCD

"Here is an announcement that will shake up the front projection industry, Epson's new high-end home cinema model: the EH-TW9500 / 9500W begins to unveil in Japan.

On the program only very tempting things: laser light source with an output of 5,000 lumens and a contrast ranging from 150,000: 1 to 1,500,000: 1 (lifespan 15,000 hours at full power, 20,000 hours in medium mode and 25,000 hours in economy mode), native 4K LCD panels, optical sensor calibration system developed by Epson, Dolby Vision, HDR + 10 and HDR support with HDMI 2.1 sockets and 3D capabilities. Video processing will integrate a 1080P and 4K image interpolation mode.

The optical glass unit (20 panels) will be motorized with a large amplitude lens-shift (+ - 90% + -40%). For the connection, it will include: USB 3.0 Type A / USB 2.0 Type B (Service only) ARS-232C WLAN (optional) Trigger output, VGA input / HDMI 2.1 input (2x) HDMI input (HDCP 2.2) / Ethernet interface .

The hull is also modified from the TW9400 and its dimensions are 500 mm x 520 x 235 for a weight of 16.7 kg.

My latest information shows that it will be marketed in Europe in spring 2021 for a price that is not yet known. Note that the EH-TW9500 and its version with wireless link EH-TW9500W, bring together some great firsts such as Dolby Vision support (which means that the brightness management of high dynamic images will be performed in real time) and HDMI 2.1 sockets. Knowing the manufacturer's experience in the field of laser projection, we can expect a serious competitor for the JVC and SONY 4K at an EPSON price!"

EPSON-EH-TW9500-.jpg

kbfern

Distinguished Member
What sort of price do you think it could be £3k/£3.5k/£4k or thereabouts.:)

alebonau

the casing on this thing is not small ! its bigger than say JVC N series ! getting a LOT of projector and a lot of tech ...

no idea on price but the article does say...

"we can expect a serious competitor for the JVC and SONY 4K at an EPSON price!"

much much needed competition for sony, jvc and benq ! bring it on !

mikemag

Distinguished Member
My head tells me it’ll be around the £4-4.5k mark but if the price is even close to £3.5K then it’d be rude not to :).

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member
Very interesting indeed is this the same technology as the LS models

mb3195

Distinguished Member

I think that’s optimistic. Specs look really good, I’m guessing £6k based on their 10500 pricing.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I would be surprised if it's not priced around £6K or there abouts, it's switching to laser instead of bulb so there has to be a price premium for that surely?

If true then a definite contender for the future. :thumbsup:

Apollo

Not LCOS though by the looks of it. Wonder what the blacks will be like?

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Not LCOS though by the looks of it. Wonder what the blacks will be like?

We do know that laser allows the light source to switch off but as I am unfamiliar with them does this also mean that they can adjust in dark scenes to boost their black levels?

Not sure the spec on the JVC Z1but I recall some saying it's actual native contrast wasn't any better than around 8K:1.

Apollo

We do know that laser allows the light source to switch off but as I am unfamiliar with them does this also mean that they can adjust in dark scenes to boost their black levels?

Not sure the spec on the JVC Z1but I recall some saying it's actual native contrast wasn't any better than around 8K:1.
Will likely include laser dimming and presumably an iris.

swiftpete

Distinguished Member
I’m buying one! Well, depends on price I guess but if it’s £3kish I will. £6k is too much for me though. Fingers crossed it won’t be crazily expensive.

Isnt it true that laser projectors are much quieter than bulb based ones? If it’s a lot quieter that will be a big improvement. Hate fan noise.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I’m buying one! Well, depends on price I guess but if it’s £3kish I will. £6k is too much for me though. Fingers crossed it won’t be crazily expensive.

Isnt it true that laser projectors are much quieter than bulb based ones? If it’s a lot quieter that will be a big improvement. Hate fan noise.

I put this on AVSForum to see what they have to say and someone posted they believe it's a hoax because the image was on the Internet back in May..... though I definitely didn't see a thing.

I suppose time will tell soon enough.

IWC Dopplel

Distinguished Member

I think with software updates it was considerably better than that. It looked like 20K+ or more, I think I remember something like 30k:1 but might be mistaken. The LS10500 is 25k:1 native

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
This is going to be difficult to position in terms of price.

If its close to an N5/N7 price and doesn't touch their black levels and contrast, then why would someone get this over the JVC for home theatre?

5000 lumens sounds insane, but also totally not needed for most people's circumstances with the lights off. Whilst the JVC contrast and blacks are definitely needed in those envrionments.

I'd like to think Epson position this at £3.5-4k but unless they've had a miraculous transformation in black and contrast, I'm not sure why (outside of the lazer advantages) people would get this over:
1. Epson 9400 for £2.2k
2. JVC N5 £5.5 (likely by the time this Lazer is out, it'll be even cheaper).

The specs list also looks way too insane. Epson in one generation are jumping up to
1. Native 4K panels
2. Dolby vision
3. DTM
4. Lazer
5. Insane Lumen count
6. Increased contrast ratio

Just seems like a child who has made up a bunch of the best specs available on the planet.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I think with software updates it was considerably better than that. It looked like 20K+ or more, I think I remember something like 30k:1 but might be mistaken. The LS10500 is 25k:1 native

Might be correct about the Z1, it was always out of my price range so didn't follow it that closely.

LCD vs Lcos will probably not yield the kind of contrast the LS model enjoyed.

This is going to be difficult to position in terms of price.

If its close to an N5/N7 price and doesn't touch their black levels and contrast, then why would someone get this over the JVC for home theatre?

5000 lumens sounds insane, but also totally not needed for most people's circumstances with the lights off. Whilst the JVC contrast and blacks are definitely needed in those envrionments.

I'd like to think Epson position this at £3.5-4k but unless they've had a miraculous transformation in black and contrast, I'm not sure why (outside of the lazer advantages) people would get this over:
1. Epson 9400 for £2.2k
2. JVC N5 £5.5 (likely by the time this Lazer is out, it'll be even cheaper).

The specs list also looks way too insane. Epson in one generation are jumping up to
1. Native 4K panels
2. Dolby vision
3. DTM
4. Lazer
5. Insane Lumen count
6. Increased contrast ratio

Just seems like a child who has made up a bunch of the best specs available on the planet.

5000 Lumens if true allows one to use a much dark grey screen than one might traditionally use so I actually think this would be a way to achieve impressive contrast figures. Even my very modest grey has yielded amazing results in terms of blacks so anything is possible.

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
Certainly interesting.....It'll all come down to price!

On a quick search i couldn't find any corroborating evidence for this....certainly sounds a dream!

Agreed, though the very idea of it is interesting. I wonder what optical sensor calibration means.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Some of the comments on the article are also questioning it......claiming |Dolby haven't licences Dolby Vision to a projector, which rings true :(

I think they liscenced it to one then took it back quickly.

But yeah. Epson don't have DTM at the moment. To think they'd get DTM AND DV in one generational leap is a bit much.

I mean if Epson drop this PJ.. what is left for them to offer in the PJ world? Its pretty much the perfect projector lol.. I just doubt this isn't a hoax.

Alaric

Agreed, though the very idea of it is interesting. I wonder what optical sensor calibration means.

I believe that some JVCs can attach a colorimeter to them and use a PC to calibrate themselves. Not up to a pro calibrator, but way better than the mark 1 eyeball for most people!

To be honest some Barco CRTs had a convergence thing WAY back. Was useful for install, if, again, far from perfect!

alebonau

I put this on AVSForum to see what they have to say and someone posted they believe it's a hoax because the image was on the Internet back in May..... though I definitely didn't see a thing.

I suppose time will tell soon enough.

thats why i put the comment in my original post ... is this a mirage ? is it real ?

I wonder why something that is such a game changer hasn't had epson shouting from the roof tops ? just a little brochure scanned and announced on web some place ? seems odd ?

I want it to be real... but have my suspicions.. particularly since epson is not usually one leading with such game changer stuff... the last to implement full bandwidth for hdmi 2.0. last to go native 4k ... was last to go 3D and then all of a sudden such a trail blazer ?

I still hope its true as sony and jvc need a shake up... same with benq optoma and such..

lets see...time will tell :)

Luminated67

Distinguished Member
I think they liscenced it to one then took it back quickly.

But yeah. Epson don't have DTM at the moment. To think they'd get DTM AND DV in one generational leap is a bit much.

I mean if Epson drop this PJ.. what is left for them to offer in the PJ world? Its pretty much the perfect projector lol.. I just doubt this isn't a hoax.

Epson/Sekio are a serious player in the projector market, probably the biggest and whilst they haven't fully took on the likes of Sony and JVC in the domestic market they are big in the commercial end I believe. DTM is all about computing power and probably the current TW9400 doesn't have enough to be giving such a thing but that's not to say it's replacement might not, the DV is something I know zero about and even on my OLED I don't particularly like the effect so if not there it's no biggie to me.

kenshingintoki

Distinguished Member
Epson/Sekio are a serious player in the projector market, probably the biggest and whilst they haven't fully took on the likes of Sony and JVC in the domestic market they are big in the commercial end I believe. DTM is all about computing power and probably the current TW9400 doesn't have enough to be giving such a thing but that's not to say it's replacement might not, the DV is something I know zero about and even on my OLED I don't particularly like the effect so if not there it's no biggie to me.

DTM isn't a problem. Epson can do that easily. Its just a video processor which needs a target nit value. Basically a small MADVR/Lumagen in a box. The cheapest HDR TVs do it afterall.

But HDR material to get the full advantage needs a high contrast panel to be able to produce specular highlight detail for projectors.

TVs can get away with it using the backlight and dimming algorithms but a PJ can't do this. An iris can only dim the entire image, not half of the image. So a high contrast panel (like JVC N5/N7) is the only way to get a bright looking fire on a dark sky looking like it should in HDR. On an EPson 9400 for example, the whle scene just needs to be brightened.

Now this does mean HDR on Epson LCD panels as they stand is far inferior, but its still good enough for most users. The JVC will just have the strong edge.

My issue is if Epson price posiition this PJ around the N5... I think most users with a room like yours will still benefit more from the N5.

The only users left for this PJ with 5000 lumens but the same contrast will be those with lots of ambient light who like a light on etc.

alebonau

epson are a giant ! and if anyone can they can. something like JVC are a tiny niche player by comparison...

epson does do mass market though... so what ever it is will have to sell in large volume !

I so wish epson in what ever future model they do incorporate DTM as it is truly game changing ... on the jvc it was like suddenly having a new projector !

alebonau

But HDR material to get the full advantage needs a high contrast panel to be able to produce specular highlight detail for projectors.
I truly beleive there is truth to this... HDR isnt so much about the bright... but the darks and contrast...

bit like a system where drop your noise floor and it makes the dynamic range all the more impressive ...

more bright is just blinding and beyond a point... theres blinding and blinding rather than more blinding :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Oculus Quest 2 VR headset + Rotel A14 MkII Amp Reviews & Best of the Month
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

Samsung QD-OLED TVs primed for 2022 launch?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Sky to add NBCUniversal's Peacock service
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Bang & Olufsen announces Beoplay EQ TWS earphones
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th July 2021
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
Sky drops Sky One brand and introduces Showcase and Max