Quantcast

Epson EH-TW9400 vs BenQ W5700

DanielMc96

Hi,

I am just wondering what peoples thoughts are on these projectors as I am stuck between which one to purchase. I know that the BenQ has 8m pixels compared to the 2 million on the Epson, but the Epson is much brighter than the BenQ with 2600 lumens and as far as I can tell has better black levels and contrast. Both of them cost pretty much the same, the BenQ is a little cheaper in the UK right now. I am not an expert when it comes to projectors so any opinions or information I should know would be appreciated.

Thanks

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Same question here. I am quite torn between these 2. Looks like Epson is overall a better projector.

Luminated67

Hi,

I am just wondering what peoples thoughts are on these projectors as I am stuck between which one to purchase. I know that the BenQ has 8m pixels compared to the 2 million on the Epson, but the Epson is much brighter than the BenQ with 2600 lumens and as far as I can tell has better black levels and contrast. Both of them cost pretty much the same, the BenQ is a little cheaper in the UK right now. I am not an expert when it comes to projectors so any opinions or information I should know would be appreciated.

Thanks
Actually the Epson is 4 million pixels not the 2 million you are quoting, so half the BenQ.

So what does this mean for viewing either projector, well I did a similar test when a mate brought over a Sony 4K projector to compare in my room as he was considering a bat cave and want to see the difference it would make. Anyway back to the test, my screen is 100” and seating is approximately 9 foot from the screen, at this distance either of us could notice any difference in perceived sharpness and it actually took us to more the seating to 6 foot away before it became obviously which was which.

Unless you intend to seat extremely close to the screen you won’t see the benefit of either true or even Native 4K over Epson/JVC e-shift setup, but what you will notice straight away is the superior colour palette of the Epson and its better blacks especially in a proper light controlled room.

DanielMc96

Actually the Epson is 4 million pixels not the 2 million you are quoting, so half the BenQ.

So what does this mean for viewing either projector, well I did a similar test when a mate brought over a Sony 4K projector to compare in my room as he was considering a bat cave and want to see the difference it would make. Anyway back to the test, my screen is 100” and seating is approximately 9 foot from the screen, at this distance either of us could notice any difference in perceived sharpness and it actually took us to more the seating to 6 foot away before it became obviously which was which.

Unless you intend to seat extremely close to the screen you won’t see the benefit of either true or even Native 4K over Epson/JVC e-shift setup, but what you will notice straight away is the superior colour palette of the Epson and its better blacks especially in a proper light controlled room.
Thanks for your comment, I am leaning towards the Epson. I hear that its got just under 30ms input lag? Do you know if thats correct?

Luminated67

Thanks for your comment, I am leaning towards the Epson. I hear that its got just under 30ms input lag? Do you know if thats correct?
Sorry I’m not a gamer so this part of it’s spec doesn’t interest me. Hopefully someone else can answer you this but I believe I read on either this or another forum that’s it’s sub 30ms on 4K games.

danprice

One thing to be aware of is that while you probably won't notice a difference in sharpness between with video content I'm almost certain that you will if you intend on gaming in 4k. On my BenQ w2700 it's sometimes difficult to tell the difference between high quality 1080p video and 4k but when it comes to gaming there's a rather big improvement. I know this isn't a direct comparison but worth bearing in mind.

lgans316

Distinguished Member
Spoke to projector point rep today. He said for sizes less than 90 inch, the Benq W7000 would suffice and it is noticeably sharper than the Epson which I took with a pinch of salt. I am still leaning towards Epson which seems to the best mid-range projector in the market. Been offered TW-9400 for £2,450. Is this a good price or should I wait?

Top Bottom