Question Epson EH-TW9400 or Optoma UHD65

The winner is ?

• Total voters

bull

Standard Member
Hi Guys

I am planning to buy 4k Projector. I have an option to buy this 2 models in exactly same price (around 2700e) and was wondering if anyone had a chance to compare them live ?
Main use : Movies, Netflix etc. No games, don't care about the day time use (watching moves at the evening) on 109` screen. It's a living room so no black walls etc.
I am not affected by rainbow effect (already have DLP projector). I don't want UST.

I like Optoma for a 4k details form tests I've seen and the frame interpolation but 9400 is a new kid on the block with some good contrast but not many reviews. I would appreciate any comments or would be fantastic if anyone saw this 2 running together. I can't organize a live compare so counting on some subjective experience of fellow 4k enthusiasts ;)

Thanks!

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
The 9400 is just a slightly upgraded 9300, so you can use the 9300 reviews and comparisons as a guide.

The DLPs aren't native 4K but use pixel shifting the same as the eshifters, but they put more pixels on screen at once, and along with being single chip without convergence to worry about, can look a little sharper. Having said that, it's extremely difficult to tell the JVC/Epson eshifters from native 4K Sony's in split screen comparisons with normal movie content, so I don't think the detail difference is going to be big enough to worry about. Things like motion and contrast differences are going to be more visible IMHO.

Last edited:

bull

Standard Member
The 9400 is just a slightly upgraded 9300, so you can use the 9300 reviews and comparisons as a guide.

The DLPs are native 4K but use pixel shifting the same as the eshifters, but they put more pixels on screen at once, and along with being single chip without convergence to worry about, can look a little sharper. Having said that, it's extremely difficult to tell the JVC/Epson eshifters from native 4K Sony's in split screen comparisons with normal movie content, so I don't think the detail difference is going to be big enough to worry about. Things like motion and contrast differences are going to be more visible IMHO.
Thanks! I saw in couple other threads you had some interesting comments. Would you recommend any other projector <3k range ?

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
I think for new projectors, the 9300/9400 are excellent bang for buck machines, but if you didn't mind getting something used, then you can find eshift JVCs and laser Epsons as well as 9300s going for good prices.

I've only seen one fauK DLP and that was an Optoma 300 (around £1000). It produces a nice image but doesn't have very good black levels and contrast. It's bright so can work well in a room with ambient and/or light walls, but will work better with a grey screen in that respect (they help preserve intra scene contrast and black levels). They're excellent value but ideally you should see any projector you're considering to see what kind of attributes you like. You may prefer the brighter images from the Optoma over the blacks and contrast of other choices for example.

I personally would probably go for a 9300 or 9400 though if I was buying new under £3000, but if I was looking for used, I'd get an LS10000 or LS10500. An LS10000 recently went for £1750 here in the classifieds, and I've seen them for less than that on ebay. It all depends on if you're willing to take a chance with respect to warranty (or a lack of one). A JVC 7900 would be another good option if the price was right.

If HDR is something you want, then the LS10000 needs some workarounds, so would be off the list if you just wanted a pj that had that capability built in. That gives you the JVCs and LS10500.

Abacus

Banned
Do you want a Vauxhall Astra or a Ford Focus; they both do the same main job but vary on how they do it, so it will be purely personal preference.

For me, the clarity (Resolution) definition, brightness, motion and eye popping picture of the Optoma would sell it for me (It’s also fairly compact) as it blows the Epson out of the water, however if a WCG, Contrast, Black levels, flexible set up and noise are your priority’s, then the best is the Epson, as the Optoma will disappoint.

I tried a previous Epson in comparison with the Optoma and the results are what I found above, however I did not purchase either as neither fully floated my boat, but a more expensive JVC (Which was also set up) was an eye opener, as apart from a slight loss of clarity close up to the screen it left both the Epson and Optoma in the dust.

It is worth a day trip to compare them (Book first) before purchase, as otherwise you are taking a big risk.

Bill

Luminated67

There’s a few who have been lucky enough to have had a direct comparison of the EH-TW9400 along side the new JVC N5 Native 4K and all the ones I know of have picked the Epson, not because it’s better but because it’s remarkably close for half the price.

When you factor in this and it’s ability to play HDR content and genuine bulbs for £100 you will find that most here will be voting for the Epson.

Peter Parker

Distinguished Member
In the demo I was at, all projectors were fully calibrated so the greyscale/gamut made them look pretty much the same, and the 9300 vs the N5 was so close I couldn't warrant paying the extra for the N5, so I would have gone for the 9400 too if those were my choices. At the same demo, there was a guy who had an N5 on pre order but wanted to see one in action before taking delivery. Right after that demo he saw an LS10000 and ended up cancelling his pre order and has an LS instead.

If you can get a good demo where the different projectors are shown together calibrated and in split screen, then you will see that more often than not, they look more alike than different, and that's when you may look closer at the cost differences.

Things like contrast/black levels and image artefacts tend to be the biggest differentiators and in scenes where those elements aren't in evidence you will struggle to say which is which (in a room full of people it can be a lot of fun).

When set up well and calibrated, they all throw very good images and diminishing returns really is a big factor IMHO.

davidro77

Standard Member
What about 3D? I’m still a fan and I heard epsons are not so good. I’ve currently got an HW40ES and looking to upgrade but good 3D is a red line for me. Do I go for the epson or a second hand JVC X5900/7900 or stretch to a Sony 4k mode which upscales the 3D to true 4K?

Luminated67

What about 3D? I’m still a fan and I heard epsons are not so good. I’ve currently got an HW40ES and looking to upgrade but good 3D is a red line for me. Do I go for the epson or a second hand JVC X5900/7900 or stretch to a Sony 4k mode which upscales the 3D to true 4K?
I came from the newer HW45es to the Epson so I’m probably one who has closer experiences of what’s difference than most. My Sony is still sitting in the next room just in case the Epson ever develops an issue, I’ve did direct comparisons against it and to be perfectly honest with you there’s no real difference when the Epson is feed 1080P, it’s got better blacks though not night and day difference but then again the blacks on the Sony was spot on anyway, where the Epson really shines was it’s handling with 4K and HDR as this lifts the Epson to another level.

I don’t use 3D myself but everything I have read suggests brightness is very important to throw a decent 3D image and this is where the Sony will struggle against the Epson. There are members on here who are regularly using its 3D ability and are extremely happy so if possible try get a demo somewhere before you buy to see if it’s as good as they say.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
I came from a Sony HW40 (which I loved) to a TW9300 looking for a more cinematic experience for movie-night. I had read loads and was stuck between the Epson or JVC, ultimately on the advice given I eventually plumped for the Epson in the end mainly to save a bit of money but also had been told it was a great PJ with good blacks. When I got it the jump in blacks between the two was not as great as expected and although I loved the upgrade on some aspects it was not as much as I had expected and read, particularly on the blacks front I was a little underwhelmed, maybe I had unrealistic expectations or overly high standards. I had been assured it had great blacks and was a great PJ, but ultimately whilst it was good, watching darker films and things like Game of Thrones my PJ was poorly flagging behind my tv for blacks meaning I thought twice between which one to watch things on. I’d opted for the Epson as it was the most I could justify to myself at the time, but ultimately as it didn’t deliver the blacks I quickly decided I’d not get that level I wanted unless I stepped up to the next level. For me at the time that next level was JVC and so I pre-ordered and got one of the first JVC x5900’s in the UK. When I got it, wow did it deliver, I was immediately very very impressed, yes it cost me ~£1000 extra and it hurt my tight wallet at the time, but I was more annoyed I hadn’t bought it in the first place as the two step upgrade cost me more. For me the old saying kicked me in the butt, ‘buy cheap, but twice’.. Its not going to be the same for everyone, as different people have different price points they justify to themselves and then unfortunately on others, but I’d say if you can work out exactly what’s important to you, maybe demo yourself if you can although this is hard for second hand or hard to find models. I’d say if it’s it’s blacks and contrast that shows in films or 3D viewing then go JVC.. I now have an x7900, @panman40 is the 3D addict and also has one, but I can honestly say the picture, contrast and blacks are some of the best I’ve seen full stop, yes it costs more, but it’s definitely worth it.. I also like to upgrade quite often, but can’t find anything I’d want to strongly enough upgrade to from the x7900, I’ve looked at the n5 & n7, but for performance and bang for buck of the x7900 mean I can’t justify them over the x7900 as they’re not enough of an upgrade, meaning I’ll stick with an x7900 for longer, meaning ultimately it works out cheaper too... If the tw9400 is all you can afford it’s a great PJ, if you can buy an x5900 or x7900 I’d go for it in a heart beat, don’t even think twice, especially an x7900.

Thatsnotmynaim

Distinguished Member
Also @Rock Danger may be selling his x5900 soon :-

Last edited:

Stridsvognen

Personally i would ask around for prisings on the JVC X7900, ill think you could negociate one of those very close to 3000£ these days.
Have not compared that specifik model up against the TW9400, but others and the only thing the epson do better is max lightoutput, and in a A/B test with identical calibration the differences is huge.
But if the choise is between the 4K DLP and the EPSON i think i would go with the DLP as i also dont see rainbows, and the DLP have superior motion handeling and much more detailed image and way better pixel fill.

Abacus

Banned
The most important thing is to try before you buy, as everybody's perception is different, and what suits one person may not suit you.

Bill

Stridsvognen

99% mostly agree when looking at the same screen whats best or not, the differences normaly come at how much your willing to spend.

Luminated67

The most important thing is to try before you buy, as everybody's perception is different, and what suits one person may not suit you.

Bill
Its something I continually say, data or opinions mean very little if you end up not liking what you see. It’s always advisable to try and demo all the PJs on your list, preferably at the same time and always remember your budget, it’s very easy to get hooked in to something better and in no time at all your budget has tripled.

Dans1210

Personally i would ask around for prisings on the JVC X7900, ill think you could negociate one of those very close to 3000£ these days.
Have not compared that specifik model up against the TW9400, but others and the only thing the epson do better is max lightoutput, and in a A/B test with identical calibration the differences is huge.
But if the choise is between the 4K DLP and the EPSON i think i would go with the DLP as i also dont see rainbows, and the DLP have superior motion handeling and much more detailed image and way better pixel fill.
If you can find a dealer that will sell you one close to £3k please let me know! I have researched this extensively and unless you can step up to £4k the Epson 9400 seems to be the best option currently available

Luminated67

If you can find a dealer that will sell you one close to £3k please let me know! I have researched this extensively and unless you can step up to £4k the Epson 9400 seems to be the best option currently available
There’s a refurb on eBay for around £3.5k, but the guy has 100% feedback but this is based on 1 sale so is that really worth the gamble? Like you I did the research and £4K from a dealer if they still have them is the price you have to pay.

To some another £1.5k is pocket change but to most it’s a sizeable increase over the Epson, it’s really up to the individual if they feel the improvement in blacks warrant an almost 60% increase in price.

Stridsvognen

I have not reserched the specifik pricing on that model, i just bought a RS2000 for 5500£ + some mastercard exchange fees in in Germany, and i seen X7900 is listed for around 3400£ so ill bet it can be bought cheaper. There is normaly a fair bit of discount to negociate on JVC, not sure on Epson, might be the same.

Google is your friend, just make sure you get a EU unit, and not a US import.

Seems its not alowed to post links here on this forum, so you will have to do some reserch yourself sorry.

Personally i think the increased detail level, and around 14 times better contrast, pixel fill, percived color saturation is well worth a little extra + it will also hold a better used value.

Start by contacting you nearest dealer he might do a better offer than you thought, if not just call the next one, there is always some there is willing to sell for a small profit over no sales at all.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Panasonic HZ2000 OLED TV Review: The best OLED for movie viewing in 2020
Top Bottom