Epson EH-TW9000/w Owners Thread

I'm seriously considering this or the Sony HW30, viewing distance 14ft, projector ceiling-mounted overhead, & screen is 8ft wide, 0.8 gain grey Othelloline.
Most of my viewing will be 2D, but obviosuly want 3D capability. Biggest question seems to be whether TW9000 will be too bright in 2D, & Sony too dim in 3D.
Room is light-controlled (dark grey walls / ceiling, black carpet, blackout blinds).

Would love to hear comments?

I'm seriously considering this or the Sony HW30, viewing distance 14ft, projector ceiling-mounted overhead, & screen is 8ft wide, 0.8 gain grey Othelloline.
Most of my viewing will be 2D, but obviosuly want 3D capability. Biggest question seems to be whether TW9000 will be too bright in 2D, & Sony too dim in 3D.
Room is light-controlled (dark grey walls / ceiling, black carpet, blackout blinds).

Would love to hear comments?

Hi Mick

do you mind if I comment?

I doubt the Epson will be too bright for you, infact it won`t be, your 0.8 gain needs lumens throwing at it which is what the Epson excels at.

That said the Sony is quite a performer with 2d and 3d so don`t discount it.

if 2d is your forte then now the JVC X30 has dropped in price to £2595 in its 2d guise, you`d be mad not to include it as it beats the other in this area without question bUt they are all star performers.

The main thing is to have a demonstration of all 3 machines at the same time in the same room, this will help you decide which way to go but with 2d its the JVC for me every time, and a close call which i`d choose for 3d so demo demo demo.

Allan @ Ideal AV

Thanks Allan, of course you're right, can't call it without a demo, and being in the M Keynes area, you may well be my closest opportunity for this.

You'd need to promise not to switch on the VW1000, unless my numbers come up tonight :thumbsup:

Mick

if my no`s come up tonight you can have a Sony 1000 :rotfl:

don`t ask to see the Sony 95 either ;)

it`ll be a pleasure to see you if you make it up here

cheers and have a great weekend

Allan

Im going up to see Allan at Ideal on Saturday to see the 9000 and the x30, so I'm itching to see Steve withers review on the Epson. Now the x30 has dropped in price it's going to be a hard choice.

Chris.

With the price drop i might have been tempted, I really wanted the lens memory function for CIH viewing.

But I'm still pleased with the 9000, I suppose you have to choose between 2d, 3d, memory function etc...... What's the most important for you.

Hi Rhubarb,
+1, need to see that review asap :)

Question for existing owners, does anyone know the spacing for the mounting bolts for this, if I do pop for one I'd like to know if I need to change my ceiling mount as well?

thanks.

Hi Chris

looking forward to seeing you saturday.

its a close call in a living room enviroment but I think you`ll find both pj`s will perform extremely well

Allan :smashin:

Last edited:
With the price drop i might have been tempted, I really wanted the lens memory function for CIH viewing.

But I'm still pleased with the 9000, I suppose you have to choose between 2d, 3d, memory function etc...... What's the most important for you.

I am not sure that Jvc is better for 2d since there is no cms so you can't have good color saturation, there is not enough light to fill bigger screens, the interpolation has a lot of jitter and the shadow detail or even sharpness doesn't best epson,...

I know, which is why I went with the Epson as the best allrounder.

Now to save up for that anamorphic lens.....

For that price, do they throw in Greece?

Hi I think it wont get used much for 3D if I seriously think about what I will be using it for, but its nice to know its there and great quality too if I end up buying a few 3D Blu-rays.

Hi Chris

looking forward to seeing you saturday, we are only 5 mins walking from the railway station so please keep me posted when you may arrive and i`ll have the kettle on.

its a close call in a living room enviroment but I think you`ll find both pj`s will perform extremely well

Allan :smashin:

Hi Allan, The week seems to be dragging now as I have something to look forward to lol.:thumbsup:

I'm also pondering over weather I need wireless HD for the price of the 9000W or save some money with the 9000/JVC X30 and have a long HDMI cable, as I will need a power cable the same length as I have no socket local to were I will have the PJ seated.

Hopefully I should arrive at Normanton around 11, I've been routed via Sheffield now so I will let you know when I'm close and I can always ponder round for a bit if the other guy arrives that's booked before me. :D

Thanks, Chris.

I'm very interested and looking forward to the review as this projector is at the top of my list.

We're all poised for the review to pop up, in the meantime, there seems to be mention on the AVS forum that the pixel convergence menu is not available on Euro model unless you delve into service menu's, can anyone confirm / deny that please?
Also, would like to know the spacing of the mounting holes to see whether my existing ceiling mount is suitable......:lease:

I am in two minds at the moment with an expensive projector and cheap screen or vice versa, i am definitely getting an epson either way so wanted to know is their a universal epson mount i can install that would work with either projector i go for?

That LCD Alignment option isn't on the TW9000 that I've got...

It is in the service menu!!!
1. Switch on the PJ

2. Press and hold the Menu-Button for 8 sec.

3. Press the ESC-Button twice

Now a new Window with Informations about the Beamer appears. With the
"Arrow-right" and "Arrow-left"-Button you can see several other Information-Windows.

4. Press again the Menu-Button for 8 sec.
5. Press again the ESC-Button twice.

Now a new Windows appears. On the left side you see 6 lines named
"DIP-SW1" to "DIP-SW 6". Move with the "Arrow-down-Button" to "DIP-SW 6" and press "Enter".

On the right side there are 8 lines named "Bit 0" to "Bit 7" and then "0" and "1" with a white (=deactivated) or green (=activated) Rectangle before the 0 or 1.

Move now with the "Arrow-down"-Button to the line named "Bit 5" and then activate with the "Arrow-right"-Button.

Don't change other bits or DIP-Switches!

Now press Enter and then leave the menu by pressing ESC twice.

Now switch off the PJ and then on again.

Now you can find a new submenu named "LCD Alignment" in the "Advanced"-Submenu. Here you can adjust the pixel alignment, you can activate or deactivate the adjustments or reset them.

The "LCD Alignment"-submenu will appear now permanently in the "Advanced"-Submenu until you deactivate "Bit 5" in DIP-SW 6.

Last edited:
Nor mine, I looked earlier when I first got it and only found reference through the Greek website. There was mention of pressing and holding a combination of buttons but that just brought up another menu with various info and possible fault codes.

Posts crossed. I'll try that again.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom