Epson EH-TW9000/w Owners Thread

Thanks for the info Ron, could be useful! Mine is still well, never had an issue, but am aware it’s getting on but until 4K is reasonable, I don’t see any reason to change yet.

Steve

@markymiles So far I'm very pleased with the upgrade (apart from the expense), the picture is indeed very good, but I'm not one to constantly fiddle much preferring to watch it instead. There is an owners thread which you've no doubt seen, you'll get much better informed opinions in there than mine.

@Drag0nFly That does sound very bad indeed, and seems to reflect previous examples in this thread, at least we have a long warranty which is the main reason I purchased the 9300 All most of us can do is keep our fingers crossed and hope our units are OK. I do wonder just how many faults are caused by rough handling by couriers, which is one reason why I collected mine from the dealer.

Did not notice any rough handling on mine, its packaging was pristine when it arrived. Actually, my previous TW9000 – which ran for 5 1/2 years before developing a fault – had a dent in the packaging which at first left me worried. This time around it was a bad component, for sure, as I have never seen anything like this happen on any of the models I've owned in the past.

My TW9000 has developed the flickering issue in ECO mode. Had the same problem a couple of months back and running in NORMAL for a session and switching back to ECO resolved the issue for a while, but not this time. Lamp has 3000 hours on it, I'm hoping a replacement will fix the issue but couldn't find much in the way of confirmation whilst reading through this thread.

Hopefully just a lamp swap will keep this running, it's been a great performer but running in NORMAL mode is rather loud...

I’ve had the issue you describe and found that you need to run it longer than just one session on high. I put mine on high for about 25 hours and then switched it back to normal and that sorted the problem for a while. However eventually I did have to replace the bulb as the flicker returned and a new bulb did sort out the problem.

Interesting to see that the bulb I bought from Epson spares was much cheaper than I expected, at the time it was about £80.

Considering your lamp has 3000 hours clocked on it, there is a strong possibility that a new one will produce a stable image when running at the lower voltage/ECO setting. I would suggest that unless there are other issues with it.

Thanks for the info :)
I’ve probably been on borrowed time since the last time I ran it on the higher mode. To be fair, she gets worked hard being the main display in the house. I’ll order a new lamp unit and see how it goes. I expect the complete module is they way to go for ease of fitting?

@Drag0nFly No other issues to report, besides very infrequently the auto shutter seems to be a little louder when powering on/off than usual, but there's no consistency to it so hopefully the motor assembly is holding up okay. Thanks for the reply.

The auto-shutter on the 9000 is a little loud, so wouldn't worry too much about that unless it is really annoying. You could (very carefully) put some lube on the rail if it is unnaturally loud though.

I've only used the complete lamp assembly when replacing as that also rules out cheaper knock-off lamps which I see there are many of (and considering the prices for a genuine Epson lamp is usually quite reasonable)

Purchased new lamp assembly from Epson, replaced last night and my flickering issue in ECO resolved :)
Slight concern with the condition of the old lamp unit - the plastic on the front face and the small metal frame around the front of the bulb all showed signs of overheating, with the metal discoloured in one area and the plastic leaving black residue to the touch. Doesn't appear to have transferred any signs of overheating to the rest of the projector so hopefully all good, just concerned the lamp had reached temperatures to do this. Anyone noticed anything similar when swapping out lamps?

I forgot how much this projector's image really pops with a new lamp! Overly bright and colours feel over-saturated but in a way that produces a very striking and exciting image, albeit not "correct" by most standards, but really fun to watch.

Developed a fault trying to turn on at the weekend; getting stuck in startup, blue flashing light and lens cover won’t open.

Is it worth looking to get it repaired or should I cut my losses and save for a replacement?

I'm sure you have but have you tried unplugging it from the wall. Sometimes that resets it.

Was the first thing I did.
While I’ve found loads of reports of similar faults I can’t find a definitive diagnosis to help me decide how to proceed.

Most have gone with a company called equinox as they are miles cheaper than Epson.

Equinox

Worth a try, you can always say no if it ends up being more money than its worth. If its the common fault with these it's around £150 to fix.

@Burtyyy Not sure if you saw my post here, when my died I sold it on eBay, the guy that purchased it was going to use it as spares to repair other PJ's.

Is anyone using a Panasonic 420/820 4K UHD player into their 9000 and using HDR->SDR? Is it working well? I am considering buying one in advance of my 9400 purchase?

Hi,

Was looking for some advice on cat 5 cables. I’m running a hdmi cable in the wall cavity & have seen some people have also run cat 5/6 cables also. Is this with doing & what would be the advantages/future proofing?

Thanks

for any TW9000 owners still around, or any older Epson model really, just an update on my experience sending my faulty TW9000 to Equinox for repair. Took me a while but I got it sent off, paid £60 to get it looked at and they swiftly supplied a quotation to replace the complete optical engine and the motherboard...no report in to the findings just that they needed replacement. Pretty sure that repair would fix any problem with the unit so I have my doubts as to how much troubleshooting was actually done, and even better was the price (I could buy a TW9400 for the same) and the fact they stated Epson do not have the spare parts stocked so it would be a long lead time.

I feel I wasted time and money sending an older unit to Equinox.

I have replaced with a JVC HD350 and am in love with it.

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone else has has an issue with the lens door not opening on start up. Never had any issues until recently when I ceiling mounted it - wondering if mounting it upside down and the age of my TW9000 has caused it to malfunction?

I can hear the machanic working but the lens door doesn’t open or only opens partially meaning I have to stand 8n the couch and manually force it open...?

Thanks

Hi all,

Was wondering if anyone else has has an issue with the lens door not opening on start up. Never had any issues until recently when I ceiling mounted it - wondering if mounting it upside down and the age of my TW9000 has caused it to malfunction?

I can hear the machanic working but the lens door doesn’t open or only opens partially meaning I have to stand 8n the couch and manually force it open...?

Thanks

Yes had the same issue and I was lucky I as mine was on the 3rd year at the time. Sent it for a warranty repair - don't know why it happened though. It's never been moved since install

Hi all,

Thanks
Maybe you put some pressure on the door and it's not properly in the tracks. Easy to do.
The mech on the door is fairly simple. Just a motor and a gear on the door and a switch at either end to detect when its fully open/closed.
It's fairly simply to remove the front and see if it's working and located as it should be.

Just wondering what the results where like for anyone that has changed their lamp.
Mine has 1700hrs and a bit of flicker in eco mode.
I have recently bought a tw9400 and the difference in brightness and pop is notable.
I hadn't really noticed before that the lamp may have dimmed as it still projects a pretty good image.

Just wondering what the results where like for anyone that has changed their lamp.
Mine has 1700hrs and a bit of flicker in eco mode.
I have recently bought a tw9400 and the difference in brightness and pop is notable.
I hadn't really noticed before that the lamp may have dimmed as it still projects a pretty good image.
Come on guys, surely one of you have replaced the lamp. Just need to know if it's worth shelling out on a genuine Epson lamp?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom