Epson EH-TW7400 3LCD Projector Review & Comments

Donnacha

Distinguished Member
Thanks for the review Steve - been keen to hear about this one. Think I'll be more inclined to go for the 9400 rather than 7400 for the black form factor, better contrast as well as being able to handle 4k/60.

You said that the USB port at the back was for the wireless LAN? What's that used for?

There were some folks that managed to get this sub-£1000 on Black friday, an absolute bargain !!!

Jenz

Will we be getting a 9400 Review Steve?

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Thanks for the review Steve - been keen to hear about this one. Think I'll be more inclined to go for the 9400 rather than 7400 for the black form factor, better contrast as well as being able to handle 4k/60.

You said that the USB port at the back was for the wireless LAN? What's that used for?

There were some folks that managed to get this sub-£1000 on Black friday, an absolute bargain !!!
It's for this: https://www.epson.co.uk/products/options/wireless-lan-adapter-elpap10-v12h731p01

djkutasi

Banned
So it seems this Epson hasn't change much since the 7300 which I owned for a month. :D
Nice BIG and bright machine with advanced features, but the 'blacks' and shadow details were very poor.

The bright scenes and colours are all fine, but when it comes to dark... well that's probably the worst i even seen on a projector. :(

MartinH32

I've got the 9300 and the only niggle I have is not being able to save screen blanking positions in the memory. In all other respects it's an absolute bargain.

avtoronto

Can you share what customized gamma settings you used to achieve a gamma of 2.4 for SDR content?

big boss

Can you please comment on 3D performance?

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Can you please comment on 3D performance?
Phil did get a pair of glasses with the TW7300 he reviewed last year, and if you take a look at the review you'll see he wasn't that impressed. Since the two are almost identical, I doubt there's been much of an improvement with the TW7400.

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Can you share what customized gamma settings you used to achieve a gamma of 2.4 for SDR content?
Sorry, I didn't make a note and the projector has gone back now.

Luminated67

Steve Withers

Reviewer
Would the room and screen not affect the settings?
You're right, the room, the screen, and the lamp would all have an effect. That's why using someone else's settings is not something I'd recommend.

Luminated67

So it seems this Epson hasn't change much since the 7300 which I owned for a month. :D
Nice BIG and bright machine with advanced features, but the 'blacks' and shadow details were very poor.

The bright scenes and colours are all fine, but when it comes to dark... well that's probably the worst i even seen on a projector. :(
Take it you’ve never seen one of those DLP 4K e-shifters yet. :D

Atomicus

So what would be the best JVC at this price point which is superior in terms of the blacks? And how would it stack up against the 7400 in respect to other features?

kromar

you mentioned that "needs to be in the Cinema preset with contrast set to maximum for the best HDR results."
Later on you mention that the cinema mode gives the least contrast, which makes me wonder, why is it then need to be in that mode?
And what is the reason to set contrast to maximum? is that some specific thing that needs to be done for HDR calibration?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG SN7CY Soundbar Review, Hisense 55U7Q, LG Nano90, Best of the Month, B+W Sigourney Weaver

Trending threads

Latest News

Polk launches MagniFi 2 soundbar
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
Samsung pulls out of IFA 2020?
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
AVForums Podcast: 28th June 2020
  • By Phil Hinton
  • Published
LG Soundbar UK prices and availability for 2020 confirmed