Question Epson EH-TW7300 vs Sony VPL-HW65es

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by Killak, Jan 5, 2017.

• ?
    1. Tw7300

9 vote(s)
      81.8%
    2. Vpl-hw65es

2 vote(s)
      18.2%
    1. Killak

Killak

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +55
      Time for an upgrade!!!!

I can get a new TW7300 for roughly the same price as a nearly new HW65ES (and both very cheap). Been researching this for some time now but can't make my mind up. General concensus is that the Epson is a bargin at its price, but if I can both for the same price which do I go for?

A few points:

- My screen is 5m away from projector. I sit 4m away from screen. My screen size is 110 inch diag.

- I don't have a 4k player and not planning to buy one any time soon (this can be changed with a bit of persuasion, I'm sure). Will the upscaled 4k image of the Epson be worth it?

- My room (living room) is not light treated. Obviously during the night it gets pretty dark but I do love to watch a lot of sports during the day. I do have black out blinds and curtains but there still a lot of light.

- Therefor the projector needs to be bright! My current projector is an Optoma hd36 which I really loved as it's super bright, like I can leave all the lights on and still get a pretty good image bright. The sun was no match for it! I did have a second JVD HD100 but it did very badly in my room ( I could only use it at night, and even then the slightest bit of light would be a disaster!), but you could tell the difference in the sharpness and quality compared to my newer Optoma. So I'm looking for a happy medium between the two. A step up in quality but watchable during the day.

- I don't watch 3d that often but I do enjoy it. I would like good 3d performance.

- I don't really need automated lens shift and focus. Manual will do just fine for me.

- I tend to upgrade my projector every 3-4 years

- Buying either would be most I've ever spent on a projector

Help me buy...Any advice would be most helpful!

2. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +228
      Hi
      Had the epson 7300 set up for a few weeks and i can state the thing is a stunner!
      Its bright, very sharp and detailed , and the 4k enhance feature make standard blurays look so much better!
      I was going to get a UHD player at some point but after seeing what my BDs look like on the epson im in no rush to.
      Im using lens shift both ways due to room placement and was a little concerned if this would degrade picture, but no issues at all, no difference in sharpness or.image quality in the corners and im nearly at max shift.

3. Killak

Killak

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +55
      Thanks Ricky

Really does sound like the TW7300 is a fantastic bit of kit. Interesting what you say about the 4k enhancer. Makes it sound well worth while.

Anyone have any reasons why I should go for the Sony? I think from what I understand, the Sony may have better colours, but the Epson has 4k and is brighter. I'm leaning towards the Epson as I dont think the extra colours will be make a difference in my room.

4. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +228
      I dont know about the sonys colours but i can tell you the colours on the epson are fantastic, nice and rich and realistic but in no way do they flare or look false.
      Im quite fussy and like a lifelike picture, id say the epson picture is on a par if not better than my panasonic GT50 plasma, certainly for detail and colours,( barring blacks) never thought id say that about a LCD projector!

5. raf77

raf77

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +26
      Hi.
      Killak, I'm looking for exactly same two models and as on the beginning I thought hw65 is better, that now I more thinking about tw7300.
      Could I join to your good deal for PJ, maybe together we will get even better deal [emoji16]

6. Glaswegian67

Glaswegian67
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9
      I just bought the Epson. I did a lot of research and have pretty much the same room as him/her.
      I almost bought the Sony 65es but last minute I decided to look into the Epson a bit more.
      Mine will be in our conservatory, 6 m x 3 m. We have blackout blinds in there already and use it as a quiet space (not for much longer lol) so we're putting in a false ceiling (cloth material) got black material for around the screen as well as 2 metres on the sides near the screen.
      I'll use it for 3d, normal movies and gaming. 4k is a bonus for the future.
      Decision was made due to the future proofing if it, I reckon the 45/65 es will age rapidly in the next couple of years as UHD etc becomes the norm.
      I'll be posting in the cinema build forum as I pull it all together.
      Projector arrives on Friday.

7. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +228
      Well done on your purchase, you wont be disappointed! Believe me, 4k is a bonus now, youll be surprised what the 4k enhance can do with standard bluray discs, to the point where you wont see much difference between that and native UHD.
      I very much doubt UHD will be the norm in a few years.

8. Killak

Killak

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +55
      Hi raf77,

I saw the deal here...
      Epson EH-TW7300 4k Enhancement Home Cinema LCD Projector, V11H715041

When I saw it, it was at £1699! Since then it's gone up to £1734 which i think it's a steal at that price. They also had it on eBay at that price too but sadly they have gone out of stock. They had 20 in stock when I looked so I thought I had plenty of time to make a decision. :facepalm: Really regret not buying it now when I had the chance. When it comes back in stock I'd be happy to see if we can buy 2 at a better price!

Thing that kept stopping me from buying was that I kept thinking that surely as the 65es was £1000 more expensive brand new it must be some advantages over the Epson. But there arnt many people flying the flag for the Sony.

Since it went out of stock, and since I had money ready to buy, which was burning a hole in my poket I ended up buy some in ceiling atmos speakers from these forums. The other half went mental!!! I told her it was box.co.uk fault...it didn't help!

9. Killak

Killak

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +55
      Be interested to see how you cinema plans out. When will it be finished? In the long run, that's my plan to build a conservatory and have the cinema room there.

How much ambiant light will still be in there in your conservatory or will it be complete black out all round?

10. Glaswegian67

Glaswegian67
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9
      That's a con, I saw it and said why the hell not. Ordered it from them but after payment they sent an email "there was a fault in the projectors so we cannot sell them to you. We will refund your money'.
      Too good to be true.
      As far is the conservatory is concerned there will be little ambient light, just the reflection from the screen. I got a grey screen to help with this as the blinds are a light grey colour.
      I'd advise not building a conservatory, too hot in summer, too cold in winter; and on a sunny day, too bright to read from a computer screen. I'll change mine in the next year to a full blown sun room. Luckily the footings are same spec as the house and dwarf wall will be used and brought up.

11. raf77

raf77

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +26
      That deal is perfectly good.
      Maybe "to good to be true" as glaswegian67 said.
      I thinking about richer sound deal.
      2100 pounds and 6 years warranty.
      Just wish to see comparison on my own eyes.
      Tw7300 and hw45 (almost same price).
      They have both.
      I hope to arrange comparison in their shop in Cardiff.
      I will let you know for comparison results and also if they give me any better price for us two.

12. Glaswegian67

Glaswegian67
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +9
      I got mine from Richer for £2,050. Join their vip club online and get £100 off list price. I pushed for an extra wee bit off [emoji38]. 6 year warranty to so all good.
      Here is the email about the scam order. They'd no intention of honouring the order. 20170112_213224.png

13. Ricky27

Ricky27

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +228
      You cant go wrong with the richersounds deal, 4 years free warranty on top of the epson 2 year, and you can really haggle on price if you try hard enough, they even gave me a good deal on the peerless ceiling mount and threw in free next day delivery too. Ive bought from them since the 90s and had nothing but fantastic service from them, including when things develop a fault.

14. matt-man

matt-man
      Standard Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +14
      Sony HW65ES owner here. I bought mine last year and have been happy with it in the main. However, if I was buying now I would almost certainly choose the Epson due to the superior lens quality, 4k upscaling and automated lens shift and focus.
      When I bought the Sony I demoed it against the old Epson 9200 and it was a very close battle. What decided it for me was the more filmic image of the Sony (probably due to the smaller gaps between pixels) and the responsive game mode. The Epson looked a bit more pixellated to me. The Epson 3D was way easier on the eyes though and made it a tough choice.

Over time, the Sony has made me realise how important automatic lens shift and zoom is to me as it's infuriating when you have to manually adjust. It's not particularly precise and means you have to fiddle around for ages getting the lens lined up with the screen properly. My previous projector was a Sony VW50 which did have remote control lens shift and zoom, so it was a hard pill to swallow.

After spending many months viewing, I've found the Sony lens quality pretty poor to be honest. It has now become quite a distraction in that you can get one part of the screen focused, only to make another part blurrier. It's not possible to get the entire screen evenly sharp, so the lens quality can't be that great. When you do adjust the focus it then shifts the lens about leading to more fiddling to line it up again.

I've also found that the lens can shift over time and mean you have to readjust and refocus it. I never had these issues with the VW50, but I think that had a much better quality lens and build quality (it was one of the first 1080p projectors and was mightily impressive at the time).

I'm very tempted to get the Epson 9300 but I'm waiting to see if the new JVC's will be worth selling a kidney for!

15. 494930

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,255
      Looking online that site (box) seems to have a lot of negative reviews, combined with the price being so low compared to other retailers would scare me off.
      That said, if you purchase using a credit card for protection (think it's section 75?) you could end up with a bargain, just don't hold your breath, or expect any aftercare.
      Have you tried the retailers that post on here? You should get a good deal (and advice) just by lifting the phone.

16. jfinnie

jfinnie

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,881