Epson EH-TW7100 Issues

mdskids

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi there. Just recently set up a 'nearly new' (6 months old, <50 hours use) Epson EH-TW7100, and although I am generally impressed with the image, I have some issues with it. Was planning to contact Epson but wanted to ask some advice first as some of you might have experience of similar issues.

1. 'E shift'4K enhancement buzzing. Now I know other people have experienced noise with the pixel shifting tech, but from what I've read mine seems to be worse than most. There is a buzzing (about the same pitch an an electric toothbrush?) that comes and goes when the 4K enhancement is on. The noise changes in obvious steps, sometimes louder, sometimes quieter, sometimes it changes for no apparent reason, sometimes it changes when the level of brightness on the screen changes. It disappears if I switch the input source to 1080p and turn off 4K enhancement. To give you an idea of how loud it is - at its loudest it is very obvious in ECO mode, still fairly obvious in Normal Mode and still audible above fan noise (though not so obvious) in High lamp mode - enough that you can tell when its switched off. Initially I thought I could live with it as I do most of watching with headphones, but in ECO mode, even with closed back over the ear headphones I can still hear the buzzing quite easily in quiet parts of a film.

2. Uneven focus. I know I can't expect a relatively inexpensive projector to have a perfect lens, but I cannot get sharp focus across the screen. With the test pattern displayed and the line at the top in sharp focus, the bottom line (the bottom left corner is the worst) is blurry. The projector is set roughly in the middle of its zoom range, no keystone, a decent amount of lens shift, but not at maximum shift either vertically or horizontally. Test image fits nicely on the screen, so I think I'm projecting 'square on'. As a little test I set it in focus at the top of the screen, then using a piece of plain paper decided to see where the bottom left of the image was actually in focus. I was shocked that I to hold the paper about 1 metre in front of the screen to get a sharp image (projector is about 3.5m from screen). Am I right in thinking the optics are probably out of alignment? BTW I have checked the panel alignment, and done a few adjustments already.

3. Detecting 4K HDR 60Hz signal - I've got a Roku Streaming Stick+ connected directly into the HDMI input (so no cable), but when I set the video output of the Roku to 'Auto Detect', it does a little test then sets output to max 4K HDR 30Hz, saying I the projector can't play 4K HDR 60Hz (but 4K 60Hz nonHDR is OK). The tech sepcs say this projector can play 4K HDR 60Hz (colour space 4:2:2 or 4:2:0 but not 4:4:4). It plays 4K HDR 24Hz content on Amazon Prime fine, but the strange thing is that when I test it out with some 4K HDR '60 Hz' youtube content, it will play, showing the signal as 4K HDR10 59.94Hz 4:2:0 Should I not worry about this and just put it down to the Roku stick not being able to get acccurate info from the projector?

I'm not interested in sending the projector back to the (ebay) seller - it was a business (small hotel) and doubt they even noticed these issues. The question is whether it should be going back to Epson (and I think I already know the answer!) Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Dear mdskids

As for 1 and 2, I have the same issue. I have accepted them ;) As for 3 point, I had NVIDIA SHIELD 2019 PRO and I have played 1:1 .mkv of Billy Lynn's Long Halftime Walk, which is 2160p60 HDR 4:2:0 without any problems. I think it's OK with that matter.

As for Firmware 1.02, I would like to know, what is the change log too. As you know, there is no possiblity to update to 1.02 ;)

Sincerely

Epson customer service got back to me requesting some audio recording of the buzzing and photos showing the focus issues, so having gone to that bother thought I may as well post them here too.

This is the projector in eco mode (also attached to this post)

Eco mode buzzing

There's a loud buzzing at the start (when I switch 4K enhancement on), then it quietens, then increases in volume again, in steps, after a minute or so. At the end of the audio clip I switch 4K enhancement off again so you can hear the difference between the buzzing and just the fan for the last few seconds.

As far as focus goes, with the screen size pattern on screen, this the middle of the top of the screen (in focus)

Top centre (1).JPG

and without adjusting focus, this is the middle bottom of the screen. I put my finger in the photo to prove it wasn't the photo that was blurry!

Bottom centre.JPG

Attachments

• Eco mode from start.mp3
    1.2 MB · Views: 245
Did you get this resolved?. I'm curious how you got on.

Sorry meant to post an update but never got around to it.
Well, Epson collected my projector to check it out (a very smooth experience) but then after about a week returned it, saying they couldn't reproduce the focus issue and that buzzing noise was at normal acceptable levels. I'm not in a position where I can return the projector to the shop (it was bought neatly new on eBay) so like Vamet, I have come to accept the issues and am prepared to live with them.
At present, most of my viewing is 1080p content streamed from a 4k Roku or from bluray, so I have 4K enhancement switched off, and only switch it on when I'm streaming something in 4K with HDR.

Most of my viewing is done using headphones (so as not to wake up the kids late at night) and I was wanting to upgrade my headphones anyway, so my solution was to get a pair of Sennheiser Momentum wireless headphones and the noise cancelling does a pretty good job of blocking buzzing and even fan noise. It also makes for quite a neat, simple setup, with the headphones connected wirelessly direct to the projector (no significant latency/lip sync issues)

The focus issue - tbh, it's only really noticeable on the menu screens, if I'm looking for it. In general viewing, I don't notice it.

Sorry meant to post an update but never got around to it.
Well, Epson collected my projector to check it out (a very smooth experience) but then after about a week returned it, saying they couldn't reproduce the focus issue and that buzzing noise was at normal acceptable levels. I'm not in a position where I can return the projector to the shop (it was bought neatly new on eBay) so like Vamet, I have come to accept the issues and am prepared to live with them.
At present, most of my viewing is 1080p content streamed from a 4k Roku or from bluray, so I have 4K enhancement switched off, and only switch it on when I'm streaming something in 4K with HDR.

Most of my viewing is done using headphones (so as not to wake up the kids late at night) and I was wanting to upgrade my headphones anyway, so my solution was to get a pair of Sennheiser Momentum wireless headphones and the noise cancelling does a pretty good job of blocking buzzing and even fan noise. It also makes for quite a neat, simple setup, with the headphones connected wirelessly direct to the projector (no significant latency/lip sync issues)

The focus issue - tbh, it's only really noticeable on the menu screens, if I'm looking for it. In general viewing, I don't notice it.

Looking to get one of my first projectors soon. Would you recommend this model after owning it? Its the 3800 in the US and a few of the ones that has horizontal lens shift which I want.

I brought the 7100 from Amazon, the first unit received has had focus problems on the right side of pic, if I get in focus the center the right side was blurry. Asked for replacement, and got it, the second unit arrived is worse, when is in focus the center both sides are blurry plus I discovered a dead red pixel on matrix. Now Amazon stock is on zero so I need to wait 10 days to ask for other replacement unit, anyway I can have refund. I don't know what to do, because I don't know if all units has this problem or I'm just unlucky. I've a TW5650 also and it is perfect but not 4k sadly. Has someone a TW7100 without focus issues or this model has this native problem?

I brought the 7100 from Amazon, the first unit received has had focus problems on the right side of pic, if I get in focus the center the right side was blurry. Asked for replacement, and got it, the second unit arrived is worse, when is in focus the center both sides are blurry plus I discovered a dead red pixel on matrix. Now Amazon stock is on zero so I need to wait 10 days to ask for other replacement unit, anyway I can have refund. I don't know what to do, because I don't know if all units has this problem or I'm just unlucky. I've a TW5650 also and it is perfect but not 4k sadly. Has someone a TW7100 without focus issues or this model has this native problem?

I've learned to live with the imperfect focus - tbh, even though a test pattern makes the focus look bad, in normally real-life viewing conditions I don't notice it. I've also partly resolved the 4K pixel shifting buzzing - it seems the video setting I was using on my Roku 4K streaming stock+ was forcing 4K 60Hz (even when the content was 4K 24Hz, for example), which is when the buzzing is worst. Plus most of the time I'm wearing noise cancelling headphones which helps a lot.

Looking to get one of my first projectors soon. Would you recommend this model after owning it? Its the 3800 in the US and a few of the ones that has horizontal lens shift which I want.

Sorry - must have missed this post. I'd say yes, as I'm very pleased with the PQ, but be prepared to have to put up with a certain amount of buzzing from the pixel shift - unless you're lucky and get a nice quiet machine, or you like your audio loud (or listen with headphones like me). Buy from somewhere with a no-nonsense returns policy just in case it really bugs you.

I've learned to live with the imperfect focus - tbh, even though a test pattern makes the focus look bad, in normally real-life viewing conditions I don't notice it. I've also partly resolved the 4K pixel shifting buzzing - it seems the video setting I was using on my Roku 4K streaming stock+ was forcing 4K 60Hz (even when the content was 4K 24Hz, for example), which is when the buzzing is worst. Plus most of the time I'm wearing noise cancelling headphones which helps a lot.
Those are pics of my projector:
very blurry on right side.

Has anyone installed the v1.04 Firmware update yet. Any notable changes to the firmware. did it fix your issues ?

Has anyone installed the v1.04 Firmware update yet. Any notable changes to the firmware. did it fix your issues ?
Still can't Install it. Epson are not doing anything about this. They are too busy updating their £50 printers on a weekly basis. 🙄

I've installed the v.1.04 fw on my third TW7100 (it has been replaced by Epson customer service) no issues I've seen till now.

I've installed the v.1.04 fw on my third TW7100 (it has been replaced by Epson customer service) no issues I've seen till now.

Did you manage to get a TW7100 without uneven focus? I’ve got the same blurry ness your photos from Dec 3. Unsure if I should get it replaced?

Did you manage to get a TW7100 without uneven focus? I’ve got the same blurry ness your photos from Dec 3. Unsure if I should get it replaced?
Yes, I brought it on Amazon, the first arrived had blurry image on right screen side, I conctated Amazon and they replaced me with another new unit, same problem and one dead pixel on red panel. So I've asked for another replacement unit and they refused because no more into stock. So I've contacted customer care Epson and spoke with one employed, he ask me pics of problems and serial plus purcase docs. After this he said me Epson can replace defective units within 1 mounth from purcase day and I was into this time. So they've sent me another unit, it was not new sealed, I presume was a repaired unit, but it was perfect and had just 30 works hours. I've tested for dead pixel and for the focus performances and it is very good not perfect focus 100% but 99% on patterns, when I watch any content it is perfect.
Anyway is very strange so high number of those units has all the same problem, has your unit focus problem on right side too?

Last edited:
Anyway is very strange so high number of those units has all the same problem, has your unit focus problem on right side too?

Yea bottom right side. I bought it from Richer Sounds back in November but only recently got it setup properly. Will see if they can sort it out.

'There is a buzzing (about the same pitch an an electric toothbrush?)'
lol never thought about that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello! Im Chris!

I have the same issue with the uneven focus (EHTW7100 09/20).

My Beamer has been sent to the EPSON Repaircenter twice and got the optical unit replaced...But uneven focus problem remains (in different areas though).

It is really frustrating and i almost lost all hope...but im gonna send in the beamer again, hoping the guys at EPSON Repaircenter will replace it with a new unit....

Did some research and there are many people that are affected with the focus problems. Found this article quite useful to read that tries to explain where the issues come from: Focus problem on LCD EPSON

Just forgot to mention that i have an old EPSON EHTW6000, which in fact should be replaced by the 7100. The old 6000er shows an almost perfectly sharp image with all areas focused evenly...it is so disturbing to see how sharp the image actually is compared to the new 7100 directly...

Often reading about people saying they live with that issue because it is almost not noticeable during movies..but for me as a gamer the uneven focused areas are always visible (due to menus, HUD, texts)

Nevertheless, EPSON should be able to fix this issue or replace my beamer...but unfortunatly ive read stories about other fellow focusproblem-dudes that got their beamer replaced somehow finally after a long yourney ending up just with another un-focusable unit ... again ...

That's an interesting article, thanks for sharing it. I wasn't aware this was a widespread issue with Epson projectors. However, I don't think I'm going to be taking my projector apart for a fiddle around any time soon!

I've learned to live with the focus issue - partly because in 'real world' viewing of films etc it's not noticeable, and also because I've got to the age where I probably need glasses! 😃

I'm also living with the 4K buzzing. I avoid using the 4K enhancement unless I'm watching 4K content, and even then it's only particularly bad if it's forcing 60Hz frame rate. In those circumstances, my noise cancelling headphones do a remarkably good job of cutting out the buzz. But this solution isn't going to work for everyone.

So overall I'm still happy with the projector and don't regret my purchase. However, I am considering sending it back to Epson shorty before the 3 year warranty runs out. When they took it back before, they decided in their wisdom that the focus and buzzing were both within acceptable limits, but with a different tester (and after a bit of jostling around in transit...) that opinion could change, and they may agree to do some work on it.

Just forgot to mention that i have an old EPSON EHTW6000, which in fact should be replaced by the 7100. The old 6000er shows an almost perfectly sharp image with all areas focused evenly...it is so disturbing to see how sharp the image actually is compared to the new 7100 directly...

Often reading about people saying they live with that issue because it is almost not noticeable during movies..but for me as a gamer the uneven focused areas are always visible (due to menus, HUD, texts)

Nevertheless, EPSON should be able to fix this issue or replace my beamer...but unfortunatly ive read stories about other fellow focusproblem-dudes that got their beamer replaced somehow finally after a long yourney ending up just with another un-focusable unit ... again ...
Try to use the TW7100 not in 4k but in full HD in this mode the focus is nearly perfect. My unit is acceptable not perfect anyway but is the best one I've tested on 3 units received. My idea is something is wrong into assembly procedure like into link you've posted. I've a TW5650 too and it has a perfect focus in every screen part.
Last thing, in one TW7100 I've had with focus problem on right screen side this issue was solved if I was pushing the optic lens to left during the projection.

Hello I've been using my Epson EH-TW7100 for a week now, very quiet in Eco mode and haven't noticed any pixel shift noise.

I am having the uneven focus issue and found I had to use very small movements on the focus until it wasn't noticeably blurry top or bottom.

Got this little red dot showing up from time to time also, it's kind of annoying but off to the right side of screen so not too bad.

20210829_222713.jpg

Overall very happy with the image clarity.

20210829_222850.jpg

Hello I've been using my Epson EH-TW7100 for a week now, very quiet in Eco mode and haven't noticed any pixel shift noise.

I am having the uneven focus issue and found I had to use very small movements on the focus until it wasn't noticeably blurry top or bottom.

Got this little red dot showing up from time to time also, it's kind of annoying but off to the right side of screen so not too bad.

View attachment 1562234

Overall very happy with the image clarity.

View attachment 1562233
What device are you watching Google tv on in your 7100?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom