Question Epson EH-TW7000 vs Optoma UHD40 vs Optoma UHD42 vs Optoma UHD380X vs Viewsonic Px747-4K

odessalind

Can you please help me choose between these options:
Epson EH-TW7000
Optoma UHD40
Optoma UHD42
Optoma UHD380X
Viewsonic Px747-4K

I have big white wall room around 540x440cm in which I use one wall as screen with width 410cm.

- Mainly watching movies so not much gaming
- The room gets a bit of sun light in the summer so with my old projector Benq w1070 (2,000 lumen) it was not fun.
- Got a Sonos bar so I would prefer the projector with optical out to pass Nvidia audio to Sonos.

I just tried BenQ TK810 and it was very noisy, flickering, and the dark movies looked horrible so I had to return it. Not sure if that was because of the low contrast.

Joe Fernand

Distinguished Member
AVForums Sponsor
The room gets a bit of sun light in the summer so with my old projector Benq w1070 (2,000 lumen) it was not fun’ - unless you spend big on an ALR screen or window blinds that is not going to change.

Joe

odessalind

The room gets a bit of sun light in the summer so with my old projector Benq w1070 (2,000 lumen) it was not fun’ - unless you spend big on an ALR screen or window blinds that is not going to change.

Joe
Actually the brightness of tk810 was good enough. The room itself doesn't have windows so the light is coming from another room window. It's kinda extension of the living room with no separation.

ShanePJ

AVForums Sponsor
May sound odd, but which direction is the sunlight coming into the room in relation to the projector location. If the sunlight is coming into the room from the same direction as the projector is shining its light source then this will destroy the contrast more than if they were ninety degree oppose to each other. Sadly no projector on the market at that budget can better what our sun has to offer

The thing you need to take control of is the light from the other room which is bleeding into the cinema room. So, some form of black out solution will be needed. Once you have done this, there is no reason why none of the projectors in your list above will not work to a good degree even with white walls and ceiling

Another area to look at is a grey or reflective screen, this will help the black levels, but do be aware that the white balance will be off and from that point so will the shadow detail which will effect the entire colour pallet of the projector

So, if you wish to enjoy any of projectors above, then without getting the light under control, you will always be on a loosing foot.

As for projectors working in lighter conditions, the only one I have tried which seemed to offer something more in these conditions was an older unit. This was the Oproma HD91 LED projector. I found that in my room, it still performed to a good level compared to when no light was in the room. The blacks were not at good as many of the other projectors to start with and I think that's why it ultimately didn't suffer like other projectors I'd tested in the same conditions. What I did notice though that within it's ability, its grey's were extremely strong with TV programs broadcasts like F1 not presenting an issue to it even when the sun was shinning. The Manufacturer claimed it was down to the fact on how we see the LED light working compared to a standard lamp which seems to bring 50% more brightness than the figures registered

odessalind

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Only tiny bit of the light gets to one wall of that room and it is not in the projector direction so I think anything above 2500 lumens should so. So I would just imagine the light is not a problem for now.

I looked at Optoma UHD91 but it is above my budget. I wonder if you have experience with the ones I listed, which do you think would make the best value for the money. Considering that the light is under control?

I had another advice to go with the Epson EH-TW7000 (home cinema 3200 in US) since other manufactures are faking the specs, do you agree? what do you think about the Optoma UHD42 for example with contrast ratio of 500000:1?

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Philips TV Launch Event, Soundbar vs AVR, Samsung EzCAL and more...
Top Bottom