Epson EH-TW 7300 / 9300 Owners Thread

Bodie316

Established Member
Reaction score
As these are now out and no one has setup an owners thread I'd thought I'd be the first :)

I've had mine since Wednesday courtesy of Ricky at kalibrate and thought I'd post my thoughts so far as there's been a lot of pleasure and a little bit of pain. The main pain coming from the linker which Ricky is going to look into but shouldn't be an issue (top man).

First the good points. The picture, it's gorgeous plain and simple. I do not have a bat cave just a normal lounge with blackout curtains and the black level is very good indeed. The thing with black level is it's hard for me to judge as I'm used to oled blacks:D. I can however compare it to my last projector which was a JVC X3 and when compared to that its as good as if not better.

Ultra Hd blurays are just amazing. The thing is its taken a few days and a lot of tweaking to find settings I like and After a lot of messing I actually like HDR on this. I find with HDR on this projector I use the bright cinema setting with HDR 1 and image enhancement preset 5 in Eco mode and I find it gives a brilliant picture in my room to my eyes. Images just pop of screen, the level of detail is staggering and it's just a joy to watch. Very happy indeed :D

Sky Q - pictures are very nice indeed and UHD footy (only watched a bit briefly to check it worked) but the level of detail was amazing on the big screen. Crystal clear images and motion good indeed.

3D - I've only watched a small sample of films to which I know look good - gravity for one and its stunning. I will play around with this some more later on but at this moment it's better than my X3 and I liked that a lot.

Gaming - I play call of duty a lot and I've had a couple of hours on this now and again it's superb. Playing cod on my X3 online was not good due to lag, whereas this seems to be very good. Again time will tell the more I play but at this moment I'm very happy.

Now I've had some issues with linker which Ricky is going to sort out But it's mainly to do with settings as I couldn't get BT2020 to go through. I also couldn't get 3D to work. I ended up going direct to my Yamaha and it solved all the problems. However the Yamaha must be doing something behind the scenes with regard to sky as I have that set to output 2160p 10bit. The Epsom should have struggled with this based on the chipset not being happy with 50/60hz at 10bit. When I look at the signal input on Epson it's showing the 4K resolution but only at 8bit so the Yamaha must be downsamping it.

Xbox one S - now this may be of interest to people. When I set the resolution on this to 4K output 10bit I get all green lights from my tv connection, however when I have this going to Epson I have some issues - I've attached a picture. The Epson can display 8-12 bit on 4K24 up to 4:2:2 sub sampling. The Xbox one S outputs at 4:4:4. I spoke to Ricky about this and he says that once the linker is working correctly it will be fine and reduce sub sampling to 4:2:2. When I play a UHD through Xbox one S I get the 4K resolution. But only rec709 8 bit colour. So anyone hoping to use an Xbox one s may need to have a think.

Overall after a couple of days ownership and now I've settled on a resolution I like for HDR and UHD, I'm over the moon with it. Bar the little issue with linker and the Xbox one S (which are both solvable) this projector really does put a smile on my face. Anyway back to more playng but I Hope this little review helps:)

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,782
I am just about to pick up a 9300 and stack it on top of my Sony 4K, really want to see how it performs with HDR. I hear UHD motion isn't the best but I want to see for myself. Thanks for your feedback it helped me pull the trigger to get a test unit. Exciting weekend ahead :clap:

I am just about to pick up a 9300 and stack it on top of my Sony 4K, really want to see how it performs with HDR. I hear UHD motion isn't the best but I want to see for myself. Thanks for your feedback it helped me pull the trigger to get a test unit. Exciting weekend ahead :clap:

I've not seen the Sony 4K but I have seen the JVC X5000 which I was very impressed with. I really thought That would be my upgrade but took a gamble after seeing the 7300 in action (saw the 7300 vs x5000. I'm so glad I did. Funny thing was I actually didn't like HDR On the projector but now I love it. Hope you have fun playing with it, but as far as I've seen so far with UHD footy and action 4K films I can't see any issues with motion. I appreciate everyone is different though. After more use and getting the settings (however wrong they maybe) to suit my non bat cave viewing environment, the picture is superb.

Well went to see it and while it looked great I decided not to buy it. Will get the LS10.5K instead.

Has anyone viewed the 7300 against a Sony HW45? I saw the Sony at a local Richer Sounds recently where the screen dropped in front of a 58" Panasonic DX902 and I found the projector to blow the TV out of the water. The overall contrast wasn't quite as good as the TV but in terms of motion and view angles, the projector was a clear winner.

Now, the Epson seems a good competitor to the Sony HW45.

Just watched point break in HDR and apart from it being a remake of an absolute classic, in HDR it's just gorgeous On this this projector. Just need to make sure your in the right setting. Just love this thing:D

Hi
when these are ceiling mounted , does anyone detect the fan noise gets louder compared to table mounted?
I know the 7200 was known for being very noisy in normal lamp mode, and generally noisier when ceiling mounted.
Hoping to get a 7300 soon but would hope this issue has been sorted on these new models.

Hi
when these are ceiling mounted , does anyone detect the fan noise gets louder compared to table mounted?
I know the 7200 was known for being very noisy in normal lamp mode, and generally noisier when ceiling mounted.
Hoping to get a 7300 soon but would hope this issue has been sorted on these new models.

My 9300 has been ceiling mounted from day one and no noise in Eco lamp mode.:smashin:

As these are now out and no one has setup an owners thread I'd thought I'd be the first :)

I've had mine since Wednesday courtesy of Ricky at kalibrate and thought I'd post my thoughts so far as there's been a lot of pleasure and a little bit of pain. The main pain coming from the linker which Ricky is going to look into but shouldn't be an issue (top man).

First the good points. The picture, it's gorgeous plain and simple. I do not have a bat cave just a normal lounge with blackout curtains and the black level is very good indeed. The thing with black level is it's hard for me to judge as I'm used to oled blacks:D. I can however compare it to my last projector which was a JVC X3 and when compared to that its as good as if not better.

Ultra Hd blurays are just amazing. The thing is its taken a few days and a lot of tweaking to find settings I like and After a lot of messing I actually like HDR on this. I find with HDR on this projector I use the bright cinema setting with HDR 1 and image enhancement preset 5 in Eco mode and I find it gives a brilliant picture in my room to my eyes. Images just pop of screen, the level of detail is staggering and it's just a joy to watch. Very happy indeed :D

Sky Q - pictures are very nice indeed and UHD footy (only watched a bit briefly to check it worked) but the level of detail was amazing on the big screen. Crystal clear images and motion good indeed.

3D - I've only watched a small sample of films to which I know look good - gravity for one and its stunning. I will play around with this some more later on but at this moment it's better than my X3 and I liked that a lot.

Gaming - I play call of duty a lot and I've had a couple of hours on this now and again it's superb. Playing cod on my X3 online was not good due to lag, whereas this seems to be very good. Again time will tell the more I play but at this moment I'm very happy.

Now I've had some issues with linker which Ricky is going to sort out But it's mainly to do with settings as I couldn't get BT2020 to go through. I also couldn't get 3D to work. I ended up going direct to my Yamaha and it solved all the problems. However the Yamaha must be doing something behind the scenes with regard to sky as I have that set to output 2160p 10bit. The Epsom should have struggled with this based on the chipset not being happy with 50/60hz at 10bit. When I look at the signal input on Epson it's showing the 4K resolution but only at 8bit so the Yamaha must be downsamping it.

Xbox one S - now this may be of interest to people. When I set the resolution on this to 4K output 10bit I get all green lights from my tv connection, however when I have this going to Epson I have some issues - I've attached a picture. The Epson can display 8-12 bit on 4K24 up to 4:2:2 sub sampling. The Xbox one S outputs at 4:4:4. I spoke to Ricky about this and he says that once the linker is working correctly it will be fine and reduce sub sampling to 4:2:2. When I play a UHD through Xbox one S I get the 4K resolution. But only rec709 8 bit colour. So anyone hoping to use an Xbox one s may need to have a think.

Overall after a couple of days ownership and now I've settled on a resolution I like for HDR and UHD, I'm over the moon with it. Bar the little issue with linker and the Xbox one S (which are both solvable) this projector really does put a smile on my face. Anyway back to more playng but I Hope this little review helps:)

Maybe I've missed it but you don't actually say what model you have.

I've not seen the Sony 4K but I have seen the JVC X5000 which I was very impressed with. I really thought That would be my upgrade but took a gamble after seeing the 7300 in action (saw the 7300 vs x5000. I'm so glad I did. Funny thing was I actually didn't like HDR On the projector but now I love it. Hope you have fun playing with it, but as far as I've seen so far with UHD footy and action 4K films I can't see any issues with motion. I appreciate everyone is different though. After more use and getting the settings (however wrong they maybe) to suit my non bat cave viewing environment, the picture is superb.

Hi Bodie, did you prefer the TW7300 over the X5000? I've read so far of most people favouring the X5000. I couldn't demo either, but have been with JVC for years now (Epson before JVC). I went for the X5000 - unfortunately its got a very annoying noise problem, which I had before on an X30.

Hi Bodie, did you prefer the TW7300 over the X5000? I've read so far of most people favouring the X5000. I couldn't demo either, but have been with JVC for years now (Epson before JVC). I went for the X5000 - unfortunately its got a very annoying noise problem, which I had before on an X30.
I had a demo of the 7300 vs X5000 vs ls10k and to be honest the 7300 held its own on normal scenes, however as soon as any night scenes or space scenes the differences were very obvious with the 7300 struggling (as expected). I went for the 9300 moving on from a JVC X3 and I've not looked back. I know some people are reporitng noisy units but my 9300 in eco lamp mode is quiet and I basically sit underneath it. To be honest, if I had an X5000 I wouldn't change it for a 7300. Hope this helps

Thanks for that, I follow. I'm still hoping to demo the Tw7300 or TW9300. I also upgraded from a JVC X3. I was not expecting the blacks to be so washed out, even in my room, which are medium coloured terracotta (white ceiling), black furniture, terracotta carpet. As though I know the X5000 is much brighter, my X3 seemed much better at blacks out of box and calibrated. Will see how things go. So, makes me wonder if I could/ should have gone with the TW7300 (the low input lag and occasional game was an appeal too) based on my environment.

Someone told me their manager chose the X5000 over the ls10k.

Absolutely jaw dropping picture, demoed Fury Road last night and me and my friend were just astounded. I think it's a considerable improvement over the X3 in 2D. I know 3D will be amazing too - which I thought was amazing even on the X3 but became unwatchable for me at around 1800 hours.

My X5000 also has high pitched buzzing/ coil whine right vent-side. I've owned a few JVCs that suffered this more loudly than others, at the moment this one has it moderately loud - my ears pick up frequencies and sounds very well.

Does your TW7300 beat your X3 in terms of blacks? Surely it can't on contrast? And how about video processing/ motion etc? I'm finding the motion on my X5000 to be even better so far after, more fluid and natural now. Though the menu lag is very annoying to me, X3 was so snappy/ instant.

I've been investigating the 'whine' noise from my 7300. So far I've discovered that it doesn't do it on a 1080i/50 source (Sky) at all. On a 1080p/60 source (Amazon Fire 4K box) it does it all the time. It doesn't depend on whether 4K enhancement is on or any other setting that I can determine, just whether it is a 50 or 60Hz input.

I just made some measurements. Sky is the orangey line, Amazon Fire is the green line. All measurements in Eco mode, calibrated UMIK-1 mic pointing towards the rear of the inverted ceiling-mounted PJ.

xAM-avAs61I2YW5A5y8xK1tc8f6Hw4n68FnY_UlVlUb9iVJss-sjIQHrtnBJtLeUkSMeJy_S2qB2MRSkT_3WO3yX53kTF7KDd3mkBQHZHxWLEnj38gvuibay3-6rNz4ZxiXmy98UV0KvtcpxagQUgBaiHzkUz0Js8JtaJ_fCEmndldIVQl2ebeUyYgQgZGlksKlR6apkDyYpqZ5WHfsnwpgTlPVvXmSocjpJ29-E2OyxLuX67zAz7fXB_7QvL0c9bZhX56aX8gx2zzCuMzqHJQQpDnk_4ndDpWJyGlBqdIbk3iPI6X7MgUZKe2veut9V8kzndwAjp5nwJxqbEon4IUGoBX2F2fFyd-9hUbuhMWoU35esNgXQvbt3k-8BpAaffwbAqcvvDoNq_hsrxfoIKN1SZ7-HF1J8kZ96bypq9HgW3ROuZQYYi_rzW1lCfc_ITtWc1XOb4672CWcXhqVO4do5JvthV1fl2Fwjo8vzgvlLNd0-dRWFFFl0WL4LbJ822CFJg0DEzya6Up8eBndH91Yfdjgwm8H3R3xwl7PEGUUTHnIBxdonj18pdwVfKDMjS1ObpFwV46IJOTJQrV9K6hC41T0JK9IpUrgKDC_KaOWedjYG=w1920-h1080-no

This is 40 to 300 Hz, unfiltered and unsmoothed. The main feature is the sharp peak at 179.8 Hz on the Amazon line. That's exactly 3x the input frame rate of 59.94 Hz, the peak is about +10dB.
Everything else is fairly random in comparison. There's nothing particularly noticeable at other low multiples of the refresh rate.

siriv62TsvoOPMVOOCo0oASZNHf2F6sZSDVNSDIKW90A-zdYNRKSxkwe-ii9hhQweG0R-vQ7DPIZIaHwHCXzXlH1_vtmnsxvRuhYoNdQeyTzOBonGYrgxLHUuVtkxD8r6tFruqQfNEZdUAbIpNfdtV9Inlfxl2SenZBisCmSlvKvfUJvEq4AgF8gaps5Nr-0HROtdkH8cNW62y-x-gT9ExDQTUT8PPVPAsuivisU_du1iidhfC3DdeFvEqgoh6TjG8BxVxjEwY7zumalz872DkrVPQQdaGzdk6b2rqkIHgFwyGw-272G_bG-6ilvFc8jmBvlyj_0OCdiQczm1AnLZjLTAzxKiVzxzZknoK7Viv5Q1EYRmcvwfIaKuTt1gPCyWAemDVB3jHKI0my16ssdDeE9V2G5TyFqc6S8Uuq5q4OMcuW7-b1CQqdYrsKAtwdpW8iE2VSgx8V_mJtt6oOHI6Y9uIRLkeoAKyEElgl_1C0xX0iz0DZUsnIyKL9-FUij9bEN7vjPi2xvGyQv4VnjxAZvpjl4IOj_pIokUxA3KftC70y--rlhS7GpQPKaapLbV8PklsXpp92AtH4iLBovplGAOyzDGgRSfpmaMTgRxEnnCqR2=w1920-h1080-no

This is 700-1000 Hz, unfiltered and unsmoothed. The big peak is on the Amazon line at 899.1 Hz, which is exactly 15x the input frame rate of 59.94 Hz. This is about 25 dB higher than with Sky in that area. The rest is fairly random fan noise.

Reproducing the 179.8 and 899.1 Hz tones with a tone generator gives the same 'whine' that I'm hearing from the PJ.

So, that's the 'whine'. Now I need to know whether 'they all do that, Sir' or whether this 3x and 15x noise is a fault.

I am likely to get this for the cinema room in a house I am building.

I have been considering putting a stepped ceiling in the room. So the ceiling would drop down forming a frame round the edge of the room.

Is there any reason I can't put the projector in that dropped ceiling as long as the front is exposed for the air inlet and exhaust. I am assuming that as well as being tidier it would muffle some of the noise, although maybe the noise tends to come out of the exhaust port?

I have a VPL H10 mounted above the sofa at the moment and I can't say that I find the noise too distracting, so I am not sure how the Epson would compare.

Last edited:
Does your TW7300 beat your X3 in terms of blacks? Surely it can't on contrast? And how about video processing/ motion etc? I'm finding the motion on my X5000 to be even better so far after, more fluid and natural now. Though the menu lag is very annoying to me, X3 was so snappy/ instant.[/QUOTE]

I have the 9300 (only demoed the 7300). I'm very surprised you find the X5000 has washed out blacks as they looked amazing on the demo I had. I'd say it must be a setting issue if they are worse than an X3. With the X3 I didn't really mess with any settings and had one setting for sky/bluray and one for gaming (but gaming on it wasn't much fun due to lag). With the 9300 I have one for gaming, one for sky, one for bluray and one for 4K UHD HDR. There is definitely a need to play with the settings To get them looking how i like.

If your finding your X5000 is noisy I'd speak to your dealer, but with regard to swapping an X5000 for a 7300 I would say you need to have proper demo as I think it would be a downgrade. Just my personal opinion :)

Does your TW7300 beat your X3 in terms of blacks? Surely it can't on contrast? And how about video processing/ motion etc? I'm finding the motion on my X5000 to be even better so far after, more fluid and natural now. Though the menu lag is very annoying to me, X3 was so snappy/ instant.

I have the 9300 (only demoed the 7300). I'm very surprised you find the X5000 has washed out blacks as they looked amazing on the demo I had. I'd say it must be a setting issue if they are worse than an X3. With the X3 I didn't really mess with any settings and had one setting for sky/bluray and one for gaming (but gaming on it wasn't much fun due to lag). With the 9300 I have one for gaming, one for sky, one for bluray and one for 4K UHD HDR. There is definitely a need to play with the settings To get them looking how i like.

If your finding your X5000 is noisy I'd speak to your dealer, but with regard to swapping an X5000 for a 7300 I would say you need to have proper demo as I think it would be a downgrade. Just my personal opinion :)[/QUOTE]

Blacks being washed out are most likely due to the much increased brightness compared to the X3, coupled with the fact that my room is not blacked out (medium coloured terracotta walls, white ceiling, terracotta carpet and black furniture, not ideal but not the worst).

The X5000 is jaw dropping. Today's use and tests revealed even more amazement as I got my X Box One S earlier and watched a 4K video for the first time in rec.2020 and was simply floored. W.O.W - see photos, taken lat afternoon, so moderate ambient light, and still the X5000 impressed without even struggling!

Nothing is calibrated yet. Photos: Clear Black: Low, Lamp: High, I think in most shots. Enhance: 5, Dynamic Contrast: 3, Smoothing: 0, NR: 0, everything else: default/ 0.

Only reason I would switch/ downgrade is to do more gaming, but I don't game much at all anymore, few a year at most. On that note, how do you find gaming thus far on your TW9300? I know Art Ferierman of Projector Reviews (still eagerly awaiting his final review) measured around 30ms, or somewhere else did. I'm eager to know how 4K upscaled gaming is, must be more lagy...

I'm not sure how upscaling HD Blu-rays works with the Xbox One S. I put in Mad Max: Fury Road but it remained in 1080p. Checked Xbox One S settings but everything is set to output 4K, HDR etc automatically already. However, the Xbox One S dashboard and YouTube app/ 4K YouTube vids show the proper 3840x2160 resolution. And man, even the dashboard and menus look amazing.

My gut told me to go with the X5000 over the TW7300/ TW9300 as I knew what I'd be getting and I knew I wanted more! More JVC. I do look forward to demoing the Epson sometime soon though, and to reading more on owner's responses and reading the full reviews as they come in.

Was expecting and hoping for Manager to phone me back as to resolution earlier today, but nothing, so hoping tomorrow it's a phone call with a 'we've ordered a replacement for you', so that it's a simple exchange at my door.

Attachments

• IMG_20161006_180220960.jpg
    IMG_20161006_180220960.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,444
  • IMG_20161006_173056499.jpg
    IMG_20161006_173056499.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,285
  • IMG_20161006_180911896.jpg
    IMG_20161006_180911896.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 1,333
  • IMG_20161006_180151021.jpg
    IMG_20161006_180151021.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 1,314
Note: The photos above aren't even in 4K, taken with my cheap Moto G 2 phone.

Quite a few paralells between you and I, in terms of gear, previous PJ and we also use the same enchancement settings, but different PJ's! :) I'ts a lot for me to take in and get my head around, all new waters 4K and HDR and new colour depths. I'm going to take my Yamm RXV381 out of chain for bit and try the One straight in to JVC.

I'm going to PM you about XB One S..

If I buy the 7300, Will I need to replace my HDMI cable that I've had since 2013 for a new one? Think it's v1.4.
Its got to be 10m , and wondered if I need a newer version for when I feed UHD signals to the Epson?
Thanks.

If I buy the 7300, Will I need to replace my HDMI cable that I've had since 2013 for a new one? Think it's v1.4.
Its got to be 10m , and wondered if I need a newer version for when I feed UHD signals to the Epson?
Thanks.

To my knowledge, no you should not need to upgrade your cable as the Projectors HDMI chipset is limited to 10.2Gbps so can't take advantage of the increased bandwidth of HDMI 2.0.

That is of course your not using a long cable run.

Thanks.

Good evening Ricky, been chatting with some others on the X5000 thread about this, very good advice, feedback and a balanced round-up below:

From Rock Danger,

"There's no such thing as 1.4 or 2.0 cables. Just high speed or the old regular HDMI cables.

I run a 15m cable to my pj from the AVR. Nearly all these problems are hardware related. Any reasonably priced cable should be fine at about £2 per metre.

Technically speaking anything over 8m is not guaranteed to work, even with diamond encrusted unicorn horn shielded magic fairy cables".

From scrowe,

"My learnings are in line with Rock Danger. A good quality cable should just work, and the only certification it should have is 'high speed' for 4K. But with 4K resolutions/colour combos that start to exceed the 11Ghz bandwidth, we are starting to reach the limit of what 'high speed' means with cheaper cables. So you are starting to see more premium brands either stating 'guaranteed to work at 18GHz' or similar, or now you can get 'active' HDMI cables for longer distances with USB power cables at each end. In my case I run an Optical HDMI thought the ceiling (35Ft length) which also requires USB power".

From bandyka,

"Agree with scrowe except active cables can create issues. What I have also realised is the output of some devices are weaker then others which means one device may work at say 5 meters the other may not. Example my PC does not work directly into the projector but going via the AVR using the same cable does. Unfortunately there are lots of variables and the best you can do to avoid endless troubleshooting is to get the best quality cables you can afford. Some "guaranteed to work at 18gpbs" cables also failed in my theatre when transmitting full 4K 60Hz. Which is why I had enough and went straight to the manufacturer to get a 2.0b cable made, no issues since".

From Rock Danger,

"Again there are no HDMI version cables, it's false advertising. You can however claim that the cable has been tested for this and that, but HDMI dont spec cables, only chipsets.

On the topic of that, if your chipsets and logic boards are not quite up to snuff then you will run into handshakes, edid and other issues denying full fat HDR".

Thanks.

My experience is in line with the responses above: All of my old cables, £4-£15, specced as 'high-speed 1.4a etc', work fine, Xbox One S straight into JVC X5000. But soon as I introduce my AVR into chain, I can't get the full XB1S 4K HDR compatibility checklist. So it's either hardware and or needing better HDMIs. Not better as in a number attached to it. I'm just running XB1S directly to PJ, with optical into AVR, for now.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom