Epson EH-TW 7300 / 9300 Owners Thread

heads up guys

the EH-TW 7300 has dropped below £2k rrp until stocks last so anyone thinking about it, now's the time

Allan
Wow, bargin.

Hi

Anyone have thoughts on how much an upgrade the 7300/9300 would be compared to my Sony VW 50 'Pearl' ?

David

heads up guys

the EH-TW 7300 has dropped below £2k rrp until stocks last so anyone thinking about it, now's the time

Allan

This is a motivator for me, and a reason for my initial question. Here in the states, it dropped to $1,800 while the 5040ub also dropped to $2,500. Basically each dropped by $200 while maintaining the $700 difference.

Hi

Anyone have thoughts on how much an upgrade the 7300/9300 would be compared to my Sony VW 50 'Pearl' ?

David

hi David

the Sony 50 Pearl in its day was a nice projector, imo both the 73/9300 will be much brighter than the Sony and the 9300 will have better contrast, infact probably the 7300 will have as well if i'm honest.

What you won't want to be doing is replacing a lamp in your Pearl, the last time i asked about one i seem to remember it was £600 +

from memory it had around 15,000:1 contrast and 900 lumens output so i think you'll find most modern projectors should be quite a bit brighter

Allan

hi David

the Sony 50 Pearl in its day was a nice projector, imo both the 73/9300 will be much brighter than the Sony and the 9300 will have better contrast, infact probably the 7300 will have as well if i'm honest.

What you won't want to be doing is replacing a lamp in your Pearl, the last time i asked about one i seem to remember it was £600 +

from memory it had around 15,000:1 contrast and 900 lumens output so i think you'll find most modern projectors should be quite a bit brighter

Allan

Thanks very much for your reply and information, very much appreciated.

I do have a spare brand new bulb for the Sony, and do I like what I can see as a 'filmic' look to the Sony, though it is the shadow detail, I would like to see an improvement/upgrade..and I suppose a wide colour spectrum would be good...

I do have a spare brand new bulb for the Sony, and do I like what I can see as a 'filmic' look to the Sony, though it is the shadow detail, I would like to see an improvement/upgrade..and I suppose a wide colour spectrum would be good...

for quite a while i've described the Epson's as producing a 'natural' looking image, i like the Epson's colours and once calibrated i feel they show an excellent image which interprets as being excellent value for money

for me the 9300 is on its own at its price point, shadow detail is great, their is nothing i would want to swap it for, and now the 7300 is sub £2K then that for me is a no brainer

Allan

I must say that after the latest firmware and using the Natural settings provided by 494930 for 1080p Blu-ray I am delighted with my 9300
Watching "Sicario" in 1080p is possibly the best PQ I have ever seen in my room
I am also a fan of animation and the colour tones are spectacular

I had a Sony 55ES which I had for 2 years and loved - sold to a mate who is still enjoying it a lot

I changed over a year ago to an Epson 9300W and it is a huge upgrade over the Sony in my view - make the change I suspect you will be very glad you did

Does the price drop mean the models are about to be replaced?

lets just clear this up

the Epson 7300 is as far as i'm aware not being replaced or discontinued, i'm attending ISE week after next and i already know that Epson will NOT be showing me or anyone else for that matter any new models for this year

the price drop is nothing to do with Epson, its my own decision to clear some stock so i hope that puts things back into perspective

Im gonna go out on a limb here and say that at the new price their is nothing to touch it imho from any manufacturer

now i don't have 100's of these and once they have gone maybe the price will go back up again, i can't see whats around the corner, so either fill ya boots or don't, its your choice ;)

With the 7300 does it play nicely with Sky Q? My setup will be Sky Q and Sony X800 plugged into a Marantz SR7011 which will feed the 7300.

Will the project always simply play the best quality it can or do you have to play around with settings every time the quality of the source changes. For example on Sky Q you get SD, HD and some UHD content.

Just wondering how it handles everything and how you need to setup the projector so it’s as seamless as possible.

Hi

David

I went from the VW60 to the 7300 - it beats it in every area. The Sony was very good for its time and I loved it but the Epson is a big step up.

With the 7300 does it play nicely with Sky Q? My setup will be Sky Q and Sony X800 plugged into a Marantz SR7011 which will feed the 7300.

Will the project always simply play the best quality it can or do you have to play around with settings every time the quality of the source changes. For example on Sky Q you get SD, HD and some UHD content.

Just wondering how it handles everything and how you need to setup the projector so it’s as seamless as possible.
Unfortunately it doesn't auto change from SDR to HDR or UHD which is disappointing seeing that it does change for a 3D source

So say you’re watching something on Sky that’s SD and you change channel to a HD channel, what happens?

So say you’re watching something on Sky that’s SD and you change channel to a HD channel, what happens?
I have my Sky Q set at 4k resolution all the time, it scales SD and HD automatically.

So one person saying it’s not auto and another saying it is...confused!
Of course the Epson will upscale SD HD
My reply was to the question Will the project always simply play the best quality
No it doesn't auto change for 4 K UHD discs

Last edited:
Ok so let me tweak my question.

I set my Sky Q box to 2160p 8bit or 10bit, and I watch BBC One HD, I then download a UHD film on Sky and press play. Does the projector just play or am I going to have to go into settings and make changes?

Like wise for my Sony X800, if I play a normal DVD vs a UHD disc?

Just want to make sure I’m not setting myself up for a system that needs constant settings changes. It would be ok for me but this is going in the living room so my missus/kid just want to press play and away it goes.

I set my Sky Q box to 2160p 8bit or 10bit, and I watch BBC One HD, I then download a UHD film on Sky and press play. Does the projector just play or am I going to have to go into settings and make changes?

Just want to make sure I’m not setting myself up for a system that needs constant settings changes. It would be ok for me but this is going in the living room so my missus/kid just want to press play and away it goes.
It just plays. If Sky Q set to 2160p the image enhancement on PJ is automatically engaged as it will always be receiving a 4K signal. The Sky box does the scaling and PJ is receiving 2160p even if you are watching an SD/HD channel.

HDR Blurays etc needs a setting changing to engage the correct image mode (P3 filter) which cannot be done automatically, but that is all and is a couple of button presses. Colour space and HDR mode can be auto detected.

Others may use kit differently hence different answers. No right or wrong, just preference.

Puzzled...I have my TW 9300 W set to start via an Alexa command
“ Alexa projector on” this works fine...trigger operates screen...
I found that Direct Power was needed to override stand by ...all works fine ..trouble is ...” Alexa projector off” works but...the lens cover stays open? Tried most things..any ideas most welcome...

Puzzled...I have my TW 9300 W set to start via an Alexa command
“ Alexa projector on” this works fine...trigger operates screen...
I found that Direct Power was needed to override stand by ...all works fine ..trouble is ...” Alexa projector off” works but...the lens cover stays open? Tried most things..any ideas most welcome...
Hi, are you using the harmony skill with your echo or have you done a custom ifttt? I have both setups and the lens cover opens and closes every time. I have been using this for about a year.

Use some of the recommended settings from this thread, I find that natural or cinema works best for skyq and Blu-ray and digital cinema is best for 4k. So basically once set you press 1 button select which picture mode for the relevant source job done.

I used the settings provided by forum member 494930 from this thread.

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom