Epson EH-TW 7300 / 9300 Owners Thread

Hmmm....
Anybody had this strange herringbone pattern displayed over the image when sent a 3D Blu-ray signal? Although I haven't any 3D glasses (yet) I'm pretty sure that's not normal?!
(also confirmed that it's not the source, as my Panny VT30 displays just fine)
Any ideas?View attachment 958936

@MoFoHo
I've not updated the firmware yet but on 1.09 I get nothing like that as far as I can tell. The 3D on my unit is practically perfect, so I'm very unlikely to update until I can verify somehow that the new firmware is not a problem for 3D.

I can recommend the Samsung ssg 5150GB glasses. I have 7 pairs of them. I recently bought a pair of the Epsons and they're good, but the Samsung's feel a smidge lighter and are much better priced. I'd much rather have 3 pairs of Samsung glasses than 1 pair of the Epsons.

I wonder if it does the same thing to a piece of white paper? Perhaps its affected by the pattern in your screen material? I use a white wall so I don't have anything like that to compare.

If I remember correctly the default settings for 3D have quite a lot of sharpness etc added. You could try to disable sharpening. If it helps I can post my settings later I kid you not the 3D on the tw9300 can be astoundingly good - better than the cinema.

Last edited:
If it helps anyone, I tried several usb sticks last time - including new and nearly new 4GB and larger usb3 sticks - and none of them worked.

The only one that worked for me was an old one. I would use one of 2GB or under and usb2 maximum, if I had to get another one to work.

Some of the FAT standards don't like anything over 2GB. My old car also specced 2GB max and FAT32 or something.
I used sd card 8gb in usb adapter. Work fine [emoji5]
Remember, you need fat32, no just fat.

thanks for the info. I am right in assuming that it's therefore better to feed the projector a 1080p HDR signal and let the projector do the '4k enhancement', rather than feed the projector a 4K SDR signal (which i assume is downscaled to 1080p before then being '4k enhanced', despite this not being true 4K)? i.e. feeding anything higher than a 1080p resolution to this projector doesnt add anything to the picture becasue this project is not 'true' 4K? or is there still benefit in providing a 4K signal?

Hi, I use the Apple TV 4K. I had mine set to SDR as the HDR picture was too dark and took the fun out of watching certain material. But since the recent projector firmware update I now leave Apple TV set to 4K HDR 24Hz.

I love the Apple picture now, and get HDR on both Netflix and Amazon with these settings (relevant to some of the earlier conversation).

Was previously using my UB700 for streaming services, but I find the Apple TV 4K picture to be much better (this comment is limited to the steaming aspect), and now it has the additional benefit of great HDR too.

As a pointer, make sure you have the latest Apple TV firmware and set it to switch to HDR according to the source (this option isn't available on the original firmware), otherwise it just sends a converted HDR image permanently even if the source is SDR - resulting in the picture being too dark and disappointing across the board.

A good test is to go to the movie store and watch some demos. Watch a film only available in HD, then do the same with a 4K film (Transformers is a good example, as you can see similar content, but the older films are HD). You can notice the difference in image quality.

The final thing missing from Apple TV now, for me, is Dolby Atmos support. But cannot fault the picture. And feeding the Epson 4K definitely gets the the best results.

Quick question (I know someone will know the answer to this).

I am having an issue playing back 4K HDR content. After applying the recent settings provided by @494930 I get a horrid alternating colour change (from light to dark) for some part of the image. Could this be down to the signal in conjunction with the new settings? The image constantly switches every second (or so). Happy to provide more details. At the moment I only have 4K sample videos playing via Vero 4K (KODI).

Quick question (I know someone will know the answer to this).

I am having an issue playing back 4K HDR content. After applying the recent settings provided by @494930 I get a horrid alternating colour change (from light to dark) for some part of the image. Could this be down to the signal in conjunction with the new settings? The image constantly switches every second (or so). Happy to provide more details. At the moment I only have 4K sample videos playing via Vero 4K (KODI).

If you reset the gamma to 0 - does the issue go away?

If you reset the gamma to 0 - does the issue go away?

I shall test a few things this evening. I can't say for sure but I'm almost positive it went away if I 'reset' the settings back to default.

I'll get back....

I shall test a few things this evening. I can't say for sure but I'm almost positive it went away if I 'reset' the settings back to default.

I'll get back....
Sounds like posterisation. If it is, it should disappear once you reset gamma to 0, the other settings for CMS etc shouldn't affect it.

So is it likely to be one of the specific gamma settings, i.e. the +31, or will it be anything that isn't 'zero'? I have read elsewhere about people experiencing 'flashing' images relating to certain shades of colour (in particular those presented by the sky - grey/beige), but my symptoms are not the same as I have seen videos of those symptoms and they are not the same. Mine is definitely more of a 'light....dark....light....dark...and so on'.

So is it likely to be one of the specific gamma settings, i.e. the +31, or will it be anything that isn't 'zero'? I have read elsewhere about people experiencing 'flashing' images relating to certain shades of colour (in particular those presented by the sky - grey/beige), but my symptoms are not the same as I have seen videos of those symptoms and they are not the same. Mine is definitely more of a 'light....dark....light....dark...and so on'.
I noticed a slight bit of posterisation on people's faces in Pacific Rim which I believe is due to the 4000Nit master. Raising point 6 on the gamma from 0 to +2 seemed to cure it, as did lowering the contrast.

It would be best if you can post up some pictures/video showing the problem as it could be something completely different.

I had a quick look at this last night and (frustratingly) I could not recreate the issue, even though all the settings seemed to be still in place. I didn't have a lot of time to be honest so I will investigate further over the weekend. Additionally I don't have a UHD BluRay player yet so I'm fairly limited to what I can play in 4K HDR. I have a friend who does have a UHD BD player so I may ask him to come over and try some stuff out with me.

Last edited:
Hi, I use the Apple TV 4K. I had mine set to SDR as the HDR picture was too dark and took the fun out of watching certain material. But since the recent projector firmware update I now leave Apple TV set to 4K HDR 24Hz.

I love the Apple picture now, and get HDR on both Netflix and Amazon with these settings (relevant to some of the earlier conversation).

Was previously using my UB700 for streaming services, but I find the Apple TV 4K picture to be much better (this comment is limited to the steaming aspect), and now it has the additional benefit of great HDR too.

As a pointer, make sure you have the latest Apple TV firmware and set it to switch to HDR according to the source (this option isn't available on the original firmware), otherwise it just sends a converted HDR image permanently even if the source is SDR - resulting in the picture being too dark and disappointing across the board.

A good test is to go to the movie store and watch some demos. Watch a film only available in HD, then do the same with a 4K film (Transformers is a good example, as you can see similar content, but the older films are HD). You can notice the difference in image quality.

The final thing missing from Apple TV now, for me, is Dolby Atmos support. But cannot fault the picture. And feeding the Epson 4K definitely gets the the best results.
Hi.
What firmware you need to allow
"set it to switch to HDR according to the source (this option isn't available on the original firmware)" ?

Firstly my thanks also to @494930. Great to have access to such generous advice
Secondly Im in the same position with the Oppo and would welcome any thoughts
Lastly once my settings are in for the various options how do I save them?

Can anyone help?

Got my Epson 9300 set up in the new year (after receiving great service from Allan at Ideal). Great picture from UHD’s, and have Netflix and Prime running at 24fps with 4K and HDR via a Samsung Player.

Only problem so far is 3D - no crosstalk to speak of (coming from a Panasonic 5000 that’s a refreshing change!) but I too have the herringbone pattern referred to above. Appears on BD (via 3 different players) or side by side Sky 3D, so seems to be a projector thing. Anyone else noticed this? Sharpness dropped to zero and it’s still there.

Also - any advice on what I should set the projector to for 25fps HDR shows (Grand Tour/Black Mirror)? They play back in 4K and show as HDR but BT.709 not BT.2020. Assume the wide colour gamut can’t be received by the Epson’s with a 25fps signal. Should the image mode be Natural rather than Digital Cinema but the HDR selection be left on (I tend to use the brighter HDR1 on the new firmware)?

Only problem so far is 3D - no crosstalk to speak of (coming from a Panasonic 5000 that’s a refreshing change!) but I too have the herringbone pattern referred to above. Appears on BD (via 3 different players) or side by side Sky 3D, so seems to be a projector thing.
I'm watching 3D using the Panasonic UB700, and no trace of this herringbone pattern - so likely not a projector thing by itself.

OTOH, the Panny doesn't output Netlix/Amazon in 4K 24fps so I'm SOL for 4K HDR. (just 4K SDR)

That’s interesting, Panasonic UB900 was one of the players I tried. Wonder if it’s some kind of interference? Odd it would occur only on 3D though.

Yes, streaming media is a pain. It was hard work to find something that auto switched frame rates and took account of the projectors capabilities when outputting a signal. My Shield worked fine for Amazon, but not Netflix - so invested in a Samsung Player as I’d seen they work well with the Epson.

Still no Netflix Atmos unless I use the Xbox though!

Quick one I'm not having luck in finding a good answer, what is the different between normal and high speed Iris on the 7300?

More noise or less noise [emoji3]

Firstly my thanks also to @494930. Great to have access to such generous advice
Secondly Im in the same position with the Oppo and would welcome any thoughts
Lastly once my settings are in for the various options how do I save them?

Can anyone help?
I've been using the oppo and epson together for over a year now, I replied to you on the oppo thread the other day, did you try the settings I mentioned and did it make any difference?

I would imagine it might improve the handshake time slightly but really auto/default settings on most will be fine in the oppo with the resolution set to what you prefer ie upscale (custom) or direct for HD and lower stuff.

I did play with a good few of the settings last year but settled back on the default settings for most but some may be changed depending on your own preferences rather than causing an improvement.

The settings here are stored once you set them. They can be backed up to usb to restore after a firmware upgrade and reset but if you're only setting the odd setting its not really worth it. To do that its in Device settings - settings management

The video picture settings in the oppo will be completely dependent on your own room and setup if you needed or wanted to tweak them. Personally I set them on the display using test patterns and a meter so found no need to touch them in the oppo.

If you're meaning how to save the settings on the epson, then Memory - save - the select one of the 8 slots. To reload them then Memory - load - select slot

Hope that helps a little? Anything more specific I can have look on my own setup and let you know

Only problem so far is 3D - no crosstalk to speak of (coming from a Panasonic 5000 that’s a refreshing change!) but I too have the herringbone pattern referred to above. Appears on BD (via 3 different players) or side by side Sky 3D, so seems to be a projector thing. Anyone else noticed this? Sharpness dropped to zero and it’s still there.

I'm wondering if it's a bug in the latest firmware? (I never even tried 3D on the older f/w)
Does the pattern sill appear when, say, doing 2D-3D conversion? (My Epson does). That kinda rules out the problem coming from the source Blu-ray player does it not?
Perhaps we should contact Epson about this?

I've been using the oppo and epson together for over a year now, I replied to you on the oppo thread the other day, did you try the settings I mentioned and did it make any difference?

I would imagine it might improve the handshake time slightly but really auto/default settings on most will be fine in the oppo with the resolution set to what you prefer ie upscale (custom) or direct for HD and lower stuff.

I did play with a good few of the settings last year but settled back on the default settings for most but some may be changed depending on your own preferences rather than causing an improvement.

The settings here are stored once you set them. They can be backed up to usb to restore after a firmware upgrade and reset but if you're only setting the odd setting its not really worth it. To do that its in Device settings - settings management

The video picture settings in the oppo will be completely dependent on your own room and setup if you needed or wanted to tweak them. Personally I set them on the display using test patterns and a meter so found no need to touch them in the oppo.

If you're meaning how to save the settings on the epson, then Memory - save - the select one of the 8 slots. To reload them then Memory - load - select slot

Hope that helps a little? Anything more specific I can have look on my own setup and let you know

Thanks so much for this. I missed your reply on the Oppo thread but will pick it up now. B

I'm wondering if it's a bug in the latest firmware? (I never even tried 3D on the older f/w)
Does the pattern sill appear when, say, doing 2D-3D conversion? (My Epson does). That kinda rules out the problem coming from the source Blu-ray player does it not?
Perhaps we should contact Epson about this?

I'm a 3D fan and when I had the tw9300 I never saw this herringbone pattern at all but I changed PJ brands before updating to the latest f/w so it could well be that causing it.

3D will default to one of the 2 3D settings automatically - 3D cinema or 3D dynamic

DVD use natural

Netflix / amazon depends on what you are watching and the way you get it to the PJ and your Netflix subscription

all SDR use natural

all HDR use cinema or bright cinema

you will need a device that limits frame rate to 24fps to see Netflix in 4K and HDR

for Netflix you will need the highest subscription level and decent broadband speed of course

3D will default to one of the 2 3D settings automatically - 3D cinema or 3D dynamic

DVD use natural

Netflix / amazon depends on what you are watching and the way you get it to the PJ and your Netflix subscription

all SDR use natural

all HDR use cinema or bright cinema

you will need a device that limits frame rate to 24fps to see Netflix in 4K and HDR

for Netflix you will need the highest subscription level and decent broadband speed of course
Thanks.

I watch Netflix/Amazon through my Panny UB700 and have the highest subscription.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom