Epson EH-LS300 UST owners thread

Pulse1

Starting an owners thread as this will be a keeper for me and hopefully more owners or anyone interested in the Epson EH-LS300 will post in here.

So i've had this projector for a few weeks now in my living room and using a Sapphire 77inch diagonal 16/9 woven AT fixed frame screen as i have a Monitor Audio SB-4 passive soundbar behind my screen. The projector accepts up to 4k60hz without HDR or 4k30hz with HDR including HDR10, HLG and Dolby Vision. Dolby Vision gets treated as HDR. Although the projector downscales 4k to 1080p i don't miss native 4k at all which i had with an LG 65inch Oled tv. The ls300 is bright enough that i can use it in my living room with my AT screen. I didn't get fooled into the fact that you need an UST ALR screen to get a more than acceptable and enjoyable image from an UST projector. The ls300 accepts a 24hz signal without altering it to 60hz which is quite rare for UST projectors. Also with the ls300 being an LCD there is no chance of the dreaded rainbow effect either. I keep the light output no more than 70% though or then the fan noise becomes distracting. Amazon Prime has now been added to the Android tv interface but still no Netflix or Now apps yet but there are a lot of apps on the ls300 including Disney+ and Discovery+. I think the ls300 is a great UST projector for a living room with a nice bright image with decent black level and colour and have no regrets on purchasing it although it outputs at 1080p.

Brian

ila66

Hi Brian how come you say you don’t need a ALR screen as everything I’ve read says you do

Pulse1

Hi Brian how come you say you don’t need a ALR screen as everything I’ve read says you do
If you want to watch with a lot of ambient light in the room then an UST ALR screen can help. Just like any projector or tv no matter the cost if there is any ambient light on the screen then it will affect the image in a negative way. Period!!! So what would you suggest for a tv when ambient light hits that? Have you ever seen an UST projector in use or are you just going by what you have read? Go and see an UST projector and then decide for yourself if you think an UST ALR screen is needed, until you do you'll never know. For me personally not having an UST ALR screen works, so i'm happy i didn't spend alot of money on something i don't need. Many thanks for your comment.

Brian

Joe Keene

Standard Member

This should help give you an idea on the different a UST ALR screen makes against a white wall! It does make a fairly noticeable difference!

andypuk

Just to jump in on this thread. I've got the big brother LS500 UST and also an ALR screen. I have to say that the image quality with this screen blew me away.

I have blackout blinds in my room, but wanted an ALR screen also and am glad I went for one.

Pulse1

This should help give you an idea on the different a UST ALR screen makes against a white wall! It does make a fairly noticeable difference!
No one is meansioning projecting onto a white wall, the least anyone should have is a screen of some sort, but everyone has different circumstances and preferences and what works for them personally. The best image you will acheive is in a batcave with zero ambient light and a cabable display calibrated to D65 standards, and you certainly don't need an UST ALR screen for that. So unless you have a batcave and a cabable display fully calibrated then it doesn't matter what display/screen you have as it will then always be a compromise and the image won't be accurate anyway. What the video does show though is once the room becomes darker then the image on the White wall and the UST ALR screen changes, so it proves the point that ambient light affects the image in a negative way even on an UST ALR screen.

Pulse1

Just to jump in on this thread. I've got the big brother LS500 UST and also an ALR screen. I have to say that the image quality with this screen blew me away.

I have blackout blinds in my room, but wanted an ALR screen also and am glad I went for one.
Blackout blinds is one of the best things you can do to help stop ambient light. I have them also and the image has improved alot actually especially during the day. Although i don't feel the need for an ALR screen, it can help if you have a lot of ambient light in the room. Dont't think i'll go back to a big tv again as i think these UST projectors have their purpose and are the way forward now. How are you finding your LS500? It has a lot of great reviews.

Last edited:

jborchel

Brian,

I am considering this LS300 here in the US. I have a 106"(269.24cm) Silver Ticket tab-tensioned screen that drops down in front of my 77" wall TV. The problem I'm having is finding an accurate calculator for the distance from the lens to the screen. My issue is that I can't have much or the Epson will be too far out in the room. Can you measure yours for me if your screen is close to my screen's size.

Pulse1

Brian,

I am considering this LS300 here in the US. I have a 106"(269.24cm) Silver Ticket tab-tensioned screen that drops down in front of my 77" wall TV. The problem I'm having is finding an accurate calculator for the distance from the lens to the screen. My issue is that I can't have much or the Epson will be too far out in the room. Can you measure yours for me if your screen is close to my screen's size.
Looking at the LS300s Owners Manual which you can download from Epson's website, for your screen size of 106" 16/9 format it will be between 24"to 24.5" from the lens to the screen surface. For my small 77" 16/9 acoustic woven screen the distance from the lens to the screen surface was roughly spot on for the distance measurment that it showed in the online owner's manual on Epson's website. As my screen and your screen size isn't shown on the size graph in the manual i worked out the screen sizes and distances by going inbetween the 2 nearest shown sizes of screens. That way worked out perfectly for me so i would say it will be the same for you at 24" to 24.5" for your 106" 16/9 screen. The LS300 is a great 1080p UST Projector and well worth the money in my opinion. Don't think you would be disapointed with it at all. If you have any more questions about it then feel free to ask.

jborchel

Looking at the LS300s Owners Manual which you can download from Epson's website, for your screen size of 106" 16/9 format it will be between 24"to 24.5" from the lens to the screen surface. For my small 77" 16/9 acoustic woven screen the distance from the lens to the screen surface was roughly spot on for the distance measurment that it showed in the online owner's manual on Epson's website. As my screen and your screen size isn't shown on the size graph in the manual i worked out the screen sizes and distances by going inbetween the 2 nearest shown sizes of screens. That way worked out perfectly for me so i would say it will be the same for you at 24" to 24.5" for your 106" 16/9 screen. The LS300 is a great 1080p UST Projector and well worth the money in my opinion. Don't think you would be disapointed with it at all. If you have any more questions about it then feel free to ask.
Thank you for that info. I had used an Epson website calculator and got the same thing. Then I looked at Projector Central's calculator and it said about 12.1"s; or half the Epson distance. If I was projecting on the wall or a fixed screen the Epson 2' would be ok. But because of the TV panel my screen is about 6"-8"s out from the wall. The alcove is 24"a deep so I would have to move the credenza out from the wall and it would stick out into the room too much. It's too bad because the LS300 looks like an ideal solution. I've been working with my 1080P projectors for the past couple of years down-scaling 4K to HD and it looks almost as good as the 4K JVC pixel shifter. Haven't figured out how to pass the HDR to SDR HDR though, like the Epson does. Or does the Epson strip the HDR so that you are getting 4K/HD SDR? Or do you get 4K/HD HDR?

Pulse1

Thank you for that info. I had used an Epson website calculator and got the same thing. Then I looked at Projector Central's calculator and it said about 12.1"s; or half the Epson distance. If I was projecting on the wall or a fixed screen the Epson 2' would be ok. But because of the TV panel my screen is about 6"-8"s out from the wall. The alcove is 24"a deep so I would have to move the credenza out from the wall and it would stick out into the room too much. It's too bad because the LS300 looks like an ideal solution. I've been working with my 1080P projectors for the past couple of years down-scaling 4K to HD and it looks almost as good as the 4K JVC pixel shifter. Haven't figured out how to pass the HDR to SDR HDR though, like the Epson does. Or does the Epson strip the HDR so that you are getting 4K/HD SDR? Or do you get 4K/HD HDR?
If you send 4k HDR to the LS300 it outputs at 1080p HDR as it downscales 4k to 1080p. If you send 4k SDR to the LS300 it outputs 1080p SDR. If you send 1080p HDR to the LS300 it will output at 1080p HDR and if you send 1080p SDR it will output at 1080p SDR. Is my answer what you were wanting to know? Pity about the distance issue for you though so you will have to look at a long throw Projector then.

jborchel

Your answers helped a lot. One interesting function that my 4K to 1080P down-scaling solution doesn't do is the 4K HDR to 1080P HDR. When I send 4K HDR it down scales but the picture gets washed out. I have to tell the Shield TV to send only 4K SDR. However, my Directv satellite 4K HLG signal passes through ok. Perhaps I need to spend some more time with my Shield settings.

Also, looking at some of the latest reviews, the latest VaVa just announced seems to have a much shorter throw that might fit. Too bad it's another $1,000 though.

Pulse1

Your answers helped a lot. One interesting function that my 4K to 1080P down-scaling solution doesn't do is the 4K HDR to 1080P HDR. When I send 4K HDR it down scales but the picture gets washed out. I have to tell the Shield TV to send only 4K SDR. However, my Directv satellite 4K HLG signal passes through ok. Perhaps I need to spend some more time with my Shield settings.

Also, looking at some of the latest reviews, the latest VaVa just announced seems to have a much shorter throw that might fit. Too bad it's another $1,000 though.
The new Vava will output 24hz material as 60hz which means possible judder, but if that doesn't bother you then yes it could be the projector your looking for. And yes the extra $1000 is something you have to think about as well. Hopefully you can find a solution.

Spike 2013

Novice Member
Finding the need for UST screens confusing and very expensive it seems to me they're ripping people off who buy a UST projector.
The 100inch screens cost more then what I paid for my LG 55inch CX TV which is absurd.

Pulse1

Here's some 1080p images from my small Fixed 77" woven acoustic screen with the EH-LS300 UST projector. As you can see you can use a woven acoustic screen with an UST projector. Will add more soon.
PXL_20210928_174149213.MP.jpg
PXL_20210928_180312275.jpg
PXL_20210928_171800557.jpg
PXL_20210928_174023193.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Sky Glass, Epson Laser Projectors plus Home Cinema Subwoofers and More…
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom