Epson EH-LS11000/12000 owners thread

Yeah will have a play with dynamic today if I get the chance. My Zidoo will do SDR to LLDV so is definitely a work around if needed. I had a little play on Xbox 4K SDR and it was on the threshold of being a bit bright. So we'll see. This screen didn't like being painted and has already developed problems so no harm in painting it GS3 for now. Gaming was really good too btw. I don't have a 2.1 amp so limited to 4K60 but the response seemed very quick.

Watched the latest Doctor strange last night. By far the best streaming I have watched on a PJ in my room. I know Disney plus don't usually have particularly high bit rates, but this looked really good with the HDfury LLDV hack into this PJ. I am happy as is, if Dynamic improves on what it is now then it really will be amazing. Such a clean looking picture overall, edge to edge sharpness and the laser dimming was not noticeable at all. The pixel shifting does seem improved on this, it definitely looks a bit smoother than the 9400. Hard to describe more solid and less digital.

Whilst 75% laser certainly isn't as loud as High on the TW9400 or X7900 it is still noticeable though and there is a pitch which is most likely eshift rather than fan noise which seems to fluctuate and draws attention to itself. Will see whether I get used to it or think of ways to make it quieter. I’m sat right underneath which didn’t help. Just thought I would mention in case anyone gets one and expects silence.

The main advantage of dynamic is the full fade to black which you don't get in any other mode but it may not be able to be as accurately calibrated as natural or cinema.

For the Xbox, you could try plugging it directly into the projector and then use the eArc capability to send the audio back to your AVR so you get 120hz support.

I haven't really noticed any e-shift noise - on the TW9400 this could sometimes be quite noticeable at 50/60hz. I find fan noise is also much better than the TW9400 - 50% laser fan is almost silent and 75% is quite quiet (not enough to bother me or even be noticeable except during very quiet scenes) - projector is ceiling mounted just behind me.

I used the DVS HDR test pattern version 2 to check the HDR Chipping, I noted that LS12000 could display around 1400 nit contents at HDR set as 8 (default?).

So I am now using 1400 nit in MAX luminance [nits] setting of Vertex2, will watch more clips and report the outcome later.

I find 1000 nits works well with Epson HDR projectors (both the TW9400 and LS12000) with HDR slider 4-6 depending on laser power setting and screen size (for dynamic mode try HDR slider 1 with scene adaptive gamma at 14)

if your projector has been calibrated, you should set appropriately for what it's been calibrated to which should give the best results.

I’m still only playing around with SDR so far but had a go this morning with Dynamic. Thought I would use Dave Harpers suggestion on avs to start with GM correction on 0 and 4 for colour temp. An added benefit of doing this is it is a quite low output level

Took a lot of work with the greyscale and cms to get things tracking ok. Nowhere near as accurate as you say as natural but I ended up with 55nits on full white which was great and where I wanted to get to as well as the dynamic dimming benefits. Still needs work though the colours are overblown a little but not too bad. They don’t track as nicely at different saturations as natural.

On another note been enjoying Glastonbury on the PJ with the family. Combined with near reference level playback thumping everyone with bass it’s been fantastic. The blacks of the night scenes looked really good in dynamic mode. Good enough for me that's for sure.

Last edited:
So it looks like my time with the LS12000 is short lived. There's a whine at MLP that I find distracting which is presumably the e-shift. The 9400/X7900 also have e-shift noise but it 's barely noticeable. Even Mrs M commented and she hasn't even noticed the new PJ yet lol. Hardly anyone here or over the pond has mentioned it so it's obviously set up dependent, how far from MLP the PJ is, whether on a shelf/upside down etc etc. Really tried to get used to it given how brilliant the picture is. Hey ho the credit card balance will be happy.

Going back to a 9400. Obviously a bit disappointed this looked the best out there in my opinion close to this price. I did consider trying to build a hush box or something like that but it's going to look silly in my lounge. At least the 9400 is brand new so 5 yr guarantee still which will be nice. Little venture to X7900 and this haven't really cost too much in the grand scheme of things.

Oh that's a shame

So it looks like my time with the LS12000 is short lived. There's a whine at MLP that I find distracting which is presumably the e-shift. The 9400/X7900 also have e-shift noise but it 's barely noticeable. Even Mrs M commented and she hasn't even noticed the new PJ yet lol. Hardly anyone here or over the pond has mentioned it so it's obviously set up dependent, how far from MLP the PJ is, whether on a shelf/upside down etc etc. Really tried to get used to it given how brilliant the picture is. Hey ho the credit card balance will be happy.

Going back to a 9400. Obviously a bit disappointed this looked the best out there in my opinion close to this price. I did consider trying to build a hush box or something like that but it's going to look silly in my lounge. At least the 9400 is brand new so 5 yr guarantee still which will be nice. Little venture to X7900 and this haven't really cost too much in the grand scheme of things.
Sorry to hear that Markymiles. We found the whine on the 9400 we had distracting so to hear the LS1200 is no better is a real shame

Could it just be a faulty unit?

Sorry to hear it mate, especially when everything else was so perfect. Well there is at least one benefit of getting old, your hearing at high frequencies are gone so don’t hear these annoying whines.

Sorry to hear it mate, especially when everything else was so perfect. Well there is at least one benefit of getting old, your hearing at high frequencies are gone so don’t hear these annoying whines.
Or like I did, pulled the house apart looking for a high pitched noise, only noticed later in a quiet room a new bout of Tinnitus had set in :(

One of those things, hey ho. Not willing to pay silly money for an NP5 and not really grabbing my interest, new Sony lacking in features so not much else I can do. Don't want to risk used. TBF I love the 9400 and even now it's still a fantastic PJ for the price so I'm not that bothered.

I'll wait until something else comes along.

Other than the e-shift whine, I was really really impressed with this PJ.

I do have until next week to try anything so I can't hear it, so I will have think over the weekend. I may be able to come up with something discreet on the wall. Got plenty of wood and acoustic foam..............Not overly optimistic

Last edited:
TBF I love the 9400 and even now it's still a fantastic PJ for the price so I'm not that bothered.

I'll wait until something else comes along.
It's pretty much where i've sat all along. It has always been a LOT of performance for a relatively low price. I'm still stuck with locked funds anyway (damn solicitors) but even when i've a silly budget i'll probably still wait :rotfl:

Other than the e-shift whine, I was really really impressed with this PJ.
I do wonder if you have an off sample here ???
Have you seen what things are like with the E-shift off or is that not an option?
Also what do other refresh rates do. 24p, 60hz, 120hz etc as this can change the E-Shift, certainly on the 9400 anyway!

I do wonder if you have an off sample here ???
Have you seen what things are like with the E-shift off or is that not an option?
Also what do other refresh rates do. 24p, 60hz, 120hz etc as this can change the E-Shift, certainly on the 9400 anyway!

E-shift is permanently on, so that's not an option. I guess they've done that so it's "4K". Don't think I've tried different refresh rates, but the majority of what I watch is 24p so that is the most critical tbh. Not going to stress about it, something amazing is just round the corner, I'm sure of it :D

I also wonder if you’ve had a dodgy unit here, I had no whine sound at all when I had my LS12000.

My LS12000 is ceiling mounted just behind MLP and I can't hear any e-shift noise.

Even standing close to the projector the only thing I can hear is the (quiet) whirr of the cooling fan.

With the TW9400 I could hear e-shift noise with 50/60hz content but it wasn't enough to be distracting - movie sound and/or high lamp fan noise drowned it out.

I hate things like this. I bet I’ll take it back and won’t be able to hear it. Or conversely if I were to test a new unit and hear nothing then bring it home and then hear it. Hmmmm what to do.

That’s why my wife said get a demo of all the projectors I was interested in at Ricky’s and see if the new Epson sounds better than the 9400 before committing

Can you use a sound meter app to isolate the frequency then use material(s) best catered to absorb them?

Can you use a sound meter app to isolate the frequency then use material(s) best catered to absorb them?

Good idea, but as it isn't that loud it's really hard to isolate. I have tried. No bother will take it back and go from there.

Can anyone recommend a good mount. Ideally I am looking for something that gets the projector (LS11000) as close to the ceiling as possible.

I'm presuming the mounting will be same as the 12000b which it works well for and is pretty close to flush without feeling weedy

I'll get back to you on that once I've watched a bit after calibrating properly. I haven't used Dynamic yet either which should help the Epson. But pretty obvious answer for now, blacks JVC obviously far better, and therefore contrast too. Motion nothing in it. Sharpness I'd give the nod to the Epson. Brightness no contest obviously Epson is very bright and usable with fan noise acceptable up to 75% if not more. Colours seem to pop a bit more on the Epson too. HDMI handshake nothing in it Epson a bit slower than previous.

After calibrating and testing did you come to any conclusions of the LS12000 vs the 7900?

After calibrating and testing did you come to any conclusions of the LS12000 vs the 7900?
I didn’t really do a great deal of calibration in the end. I think it showed a good deal of promise. Blacks with laser dimming seems pretty good not quite JVC levels but still good. Motion similar and other things were better like sharpness, resolution, brightness, image pop. HDR better simply because you could run much brighter and quieter . High lamp on the JVC for me was too loud so that put the 7900 out of the pic for straight HDR. With something external (DTM) it obviously would have been good but that’s adding another device.

Anyway I’m going back to the 9400 lol.

Last edited:
is anyone using this projector with 2.35:1 screen? how are you finding it in use and watching normal 16:9 stuff?

Thanks

My LS12000 is ceiling mounted just behind MLP and I can't hear any e-shift noise.

Even standing close to the projector the only thing I can hear is the (quiet) whirr of the cooling fan.

With the TW9400 I could hear e-shift noise with 50/60hz content but it wasn't enough to be distracting - movie sound and/or high lamp fan noise drowned it out.
@JPBoggis Hi, my LS12000 just got delivered and I was in the process of mounting it when I realised the bolts used for my previous projector (7900) are too big! I had a quick Google & think I'm right in saying I need M4 bolts for the Epson - can you confirm please, and also advise what length I should get? Thanks in advance.

I just used the same mount and bolts that I had been using with the Epson TW9400.

However, the on-line manual for the Epson LS12000 says to use M6×10mm screws for mounting the projector.

Make sure that you also check the specifications of your mount to ensure it can hold the weight of the LS12000 (which may be heavier than your previous projector).

1657048215662.png

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom