Epson EH-LS11000/12000 owners thread

Yep, if anything it actually looks better than the N5 in terms of detail.

If details is what you are after, you should get the best DLP you can afford, equiped with top quality lens. No other display technology can match it, regardless of the price :)

If details is what you are after, you should get the best DLP you can afford, equiped with top quality lens. No other display technology can match it, regardless of the price :)
If only they could crack the black level and rainbow effect I’d be there!

That's why people buy Epson's, JVC's and Sony instead of DLP's.

Personally if I will find a DLP with black levels and contrast comparable to my TW9400 I would definitely try it but there isn't any, or at least one that I can afford :)

Curious to hear from people that have changed from the 9400 to the ls12000 whether it was worth the upgrade?

Curious to hear from people that have changed from the 9400 to the ls12000 whether it was worth the upgrade?
Hopefully won't be too long before I can answer that. 🤞

I would be interested to know.... Only because, due to short stock I will want a temp machine, so the 9400 is on the radar because as soon as I finish my room, I'm gonna want a projector...

I would be interested to know.... Only because, due to short stock I will want a temp machine, so the 9400 is on the radar because as soon as I finish my room, I'm gonna want a projector...
I bought the 9400 as a temporary projector pending arrival of an NZ7 which I subsequently cancelled due to non-availability. Very pleased with the 9400 and in no rush to move on. I will probably look at a laser replacement in the next couple of years, rather than be an early adopter.

Has there been an additional FW update that further improves clarity? Or are we on the same one that previously did that?

I bought the 9400 as a temporary projector pending arrival of an NZ7 which I subsequently cancelled due to non-availability. Very pleased with the 9400 and in no rush to move on. I will probably look at a laser replacement in the next couple of years, rather than be an early adopter.
My thoughts are, in a light controlled room most of these projectors are going to look darn good and the differences, well, I might not notice, in the same way I can hear the difference between my £100 Lab Gruppen amps and some £800 amps.... Sometimes it's a case of just crack on and get the think working as there will ALWAYS be new stuff 'just arriving', also would mean the difference can be spent on Valencia Seating !

Last edited:
Has there been an additional FW update that further improves clarity? Or are we on the same one that previously did that?
I last updated to the EPSONPJ_HA47WWV1101.bin back in early March. From EPSON's webpages it looks like there's a subsequence update available EPSONPJ_HA47_WWV111.bin for Version 111.0 . The numbering implies it's a more substantial update. All information found at the pages:

I don't know what the new update does - but will install it sometime in the next few days when I get some time.

From what I remember you had an obsession with softness of the image in 4k? If it was someone ele I apologies.

Well the new shifting on those Epson's is taking care of this issue. So you will have the same contrast as a 9400 with iris open but with a cleaner and more detailed image. Also HDR processing is better. If you want to upgrade to those lasers, don't buy the ls 11000, go directly to 12000!

It's the Epson £4400 question, isn't it :rotfl:

I guess it'll depend on what you value. Light output, noise, better 4K, laser etc is all a plus. 120Hz gaming too

Black level, colour accuracy maybe less good.

3D and cash in the bank, it's still a Nope

From what I remember you had an obsession with softness of the image in 4k? If it was someone ele I apologies.

Well the new shifting on those Epson's is taking care of this issue. So you will have the same contrast as a 9400 with iris open but with a cleaner and more detailed image. Also HDR processing is better. If you want to upgrade to those lasers, don't buy the ls 11000, go directly to 12000!

I haven’t got an obsession with softness of the image, you must be mistaking me with someone else.

I’ve got a 9400, think it’s great but would like to see if the new one is a decent upgrade. To be fair though I’ve never had a problem with sharpness on my 9400, would like more contrast if possible though so might not be for me. Might wait for the ls13000.

To be fair as well if I had a spare 4 grand or so I might be thinking about it a bit more intently but that’s a lot of money to spend if it’s better but not a huge upgrade as the 9400 is still very good.

I haven’t really got spare money washing round anyway so I don’t even know why I’m looking. Curiosity I guess.

I will definitely let yet know once I have mine. Could be a while though as I don’t think anyone in Australia has gotten stock yet.

I remember when the 9400 came out I was eager to see everyone’s impressions against the 9300 were, but the general opinion was it wasn’t that much of a step up so I didn’t upgrade.

Last year my 9300 had issues outside of warranty. So I purchased the 9400 and I wish I had done it sooner. The clarity, the color, the improvements to HDR, while being small steps, together made an amazing image. I game a lot on this projector but I don’t like HDR for PC gaming. They added the ability to run RGB full 0-255 on the 9400 which was probably my favorite upgrade. Games look so much better now. I could of sold my 9300 and made some money back as well but instead I made a massive loss selling a faulty machine.

My point is some people might not see the point of the new upgrades or tell the difference, and this is fine. For me the sharper image is a no brainer. For movies and console gaming (most 4K movies are up converted and the images on consoles are generally soft anyways) I don’t expect much but for my PC gaming I will notice. The 2nd thing I look forward to is the laser dimming dynamic contrast. I hate the auto iris on the 9400. While you don’t hear it much in movies, navigating through menus in my shield, consoles or when I’m on PC it’s going off all the time. I just leave it off.

Plus the 120hz, smoother motion, better HDR, quieter fan for the same brightness is a winner for me. But I’m one of those people that will throw money at this tech and save money elsewhere to afford it. I guess that’s what hobbies are about.

I will definitely let yet know once I have mine. Could be a while though as I don’t think anyone in Australia has gotten stock yet.

I remember when the 9400 came out I was eager to see everyone’s impressions against the 9300 were, but the general opinion was it wasn’t that much of a step up so I didn’t upgrade.

Last year my 9300 had issues outside of warranty. So I purchased the 9400 and I wish I had done it sooner. The clarity, the color, the improvements to HDR, while being small steps, together made an amazing image. I game a lot on this projector but I don’t like HDR for PC gaming. They added the ability to run RGB full 0-255 on the 9400 which was probably my favorite upgrade. Games look so much better now. I could of sold my 9300 and made some money back as well but instead I made a massive loss selling a faulty machine.

My point is some people might not see the point of the new upgrades or tell the difference, and this is fine. For me the sharper image is a no brainer. For movies and console gaming (most 4K movies are up converted and the images on consoles are generally soft anyways) I don’t expect much but for my PC gaming I will notice. The 2nd thing I look forward to is the laser dimming dynamic contrast. I hate the auto iris on the 9400. While you don’t hear it much in movies, navigating through menus in my shield, consoles or when I’m on PC it’s going off all the time. I just leave it off.

Plus the 120hz, smoother motion, better HDR, quieter fan for the same brightness is a winner for me. But I’m one of those people that will throw money at this tech and save money elsewhere to afford it. I guess that’s what hobbies are about.
You will find the jump to ls12000 massive then. Will be awesome

I found the jump to 9300 to 9400 non existent except hdr slider. Both fantastic. Sad 9300 gimped but the hdmi chipset

The lens on the LS12000 is fantastic, best thing about it for me. If it looks sharper than an N5 at the edges, with no difference at all in detail with its pixel shifting at seating difference, it must be doing something right.

I have upgraded my almost 10 yr old Epson 5020UB + Sony STR-DN1040 to the Epson LS11000 + Denon X4700H projecting on a 120" screen.

I have PS5, Xbox Series X both connected to a 2.1 denon HDMI port switch, both working on 4k/120Hz (when game supports it).

The LS11000 projector turns on very quickly, the quality of the picture is absolutly stunning especially when playing games.

This setup is in my basement, the walls/ceiling are painted white and the projector can show great picture quality from about 13ft away even with a good amout of light in the room.

The black levels as some people mentioned may not be perfect, but it's way better than my old setup (which I have to say was pretty good). When I watch dark scenes like in space, the picture quality is impressive, you can see great details and color depth.

At full power, the projector is extremely bright, and I found that I prefer to have it set on 85% brightness.

The frame interpolation soap opera effect is horrible and I quickly disabled it.

Upon installation I quickly discovered my 25ft in-wall HDMI cable couldn't handle 4k/60Hz, and I had to switch it with a 25ft Fiber HDMI which works really well even with 4k/120.

Watching a 4k movie, Sports, and playing games is a real treat thanks to the improvement in picture quality, but the change in audio quality (Denon+Kef) is also significant enough to add to the experience. Some of the video games feel like a completely different experience. for e.g. I only played Dirt5 twice with my old setup and didn't like it, but I now I can't stop playing it, it's just a much better game in 4K.

By default, turning off the projector requires a confirmation (why?!) but I found out you can easily disable that from the menu, which I have.

Overall, I'm very happy with the upgrade. The projector replacement was quick and easy, it took my a couple of hours to get it to work the way I prefer. The full setup took about 3-4 days (which was much longer than I enticipated). I took my a while to figure out the Denon configuration and I had to replace the in-wall HDMI, but now that it's all said and done the setup is up to date with HDR10, 4K and 120Hz. the quality of the projector and the AV is as good as I could have hoped for.

Last edited:
I have upgraded my almost 10 yr old Epson 5020UB + Sony STR-DN1040 to the Epson LS11000 + Denon X4700H projecting on a 120" screen.

I have PS5, Xbox Series X both connected to a 2.1 denon HDMI port switch, both working on 4k/120Hz (when game supports it).

I purchase the X4700H last year. Didn’t really care about the 8K/4K 120 inputs/outputs as it wasn’t relevant with my set up at the time.

Because I only have 1 input I was just going to use the input for PC as I rarely use the series x or PS5 (plus the drop of quality with 120FPS on console). I was going to plug the PC directly into the projector and use earc to free up the 8K input on the receiver for the Xbox or PS5. Never considered a 8K HDMI switcher as everything is automated with a harmony hub.

Didn’t realize Denon released their own 8K switch the AVS-3. Although pricy, it will still be automated with the harmony.

The only problem I have is I don’t know if my Denon X4700H is one of the ones affected by the 2.1 bug.

I purchase the X4700H last year. Didn’t really care about the 8K/4K 120 inputs/outputs as it wasn’t relevant with my set up at the time.

Because I only have 1 input I was just going to use the input for PC as I rarely use the series x or PS5 (plus the drop of quality with 120FPS on console). I was going to plug the PC directly into the projector and use earc to free up the 8K input on the receiver for the Xbox or PS5. Never considered a 8K HDMI switcher as everything is automated with a harmony hub.

Didn’t realize Denon released their own 8K switch the AVS-3. Although pricy, it will still be automated with the harmony.

The only problem I have is I don’t know if my Denon X4700H is one of the ones affected by the 2.1 bug.
It's easy to check using the AVRs S/N on the denon website or by calling their customer support. I believe you may be entitled for a free HDMI switch as a solution to the bug.

By default, turning off the projector requires a confirmation (why?!) but I found out you can easily disable that from the menu, which I have.

I suspect it’s a throwback to lamp based projectors where unnecessarily cooling down and heating up the lamp again could shorten it’s life, as well as the fact that they have a longer cool down and warm up time. Accidentally turning off the projector could cause long delays and impact the lamp’s life.

A laser projector doesn’t really have those downsides, so I disabled the confirmation as well. (Plus I don’t usually accidentally power down the projector anyway)

It's easy to check using the AVRs S/N on the denon website or by calling their customer support. I believe you may be entitled for a free HDMI switch as a solution to the and

And forgot to mention... I also have the harmony remote and it works nicely with the AVS-3 hdmi switch.

Mate you are a champion. I also read on Denon support that the AVS-3 fixes the 2.1 issue as well, so if my receiver is one of the ones with an issue, I don’t need to get the other adapter as well.

If you are a Gamer then I feel this PJ is pretty much MADE for YOU!

A lot of the upgrades appear to be aimed at gaming, rather than home theatre, though there are some. If you do both then I think you'll be very happy.

Apart from lack of 3D. For some a big disappointment, for other, who cares!

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom