Epson EH-LS11000/12000 owners thread

markymiles

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thought it might be an idea to put the other monster Epson laser thread to bed now these are starting to reach owners. Please can we try and stay on topic and not talk about rooms, speakers, politics, relationships, cars, holidays, etc :). AVforums is huge and there are lots of dedicated places and threads for most topics. Also I know comparisons are inevitable and in particular a specific brand tends to be constantly referenced, but let's try and keep this about the products in the thread title as much as possible. :lease:

I am considering one btw, just counting the pennies and seeing what deals are around.

I'll quickly collate as much useful info/reviews from the "other thread" and put it in here. Shouldn't take long......

Some "Reviews"/videos so far:

Image of new pixel shifting post recent firmware update (Feb 22):

Last edited:
I imagine the number of owners will be huge on here.

I dunno why I want to retire my LS10500 and get the 12000 even after being unimpressed following a demo - guess its just wanting something new and shiny :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

I dunno why I want to retire my LS10500 and get the 12000 even after being unimpressed following a demo - guess its just wanting something new and shiny :facepalm::facepalm::facepalm:

Yep, not everything has to be scientific. I'm also close and don't think I'll be gaining that much either.

Well after testing another HDMI 15 meter lead with no luck and then a shorter length which worked I've ordered the following.

1 of these..

RUIPRO 8K HDMI Fibre Optic Cable 15m HDMI 2.1 48Gbps 8K@60Hz 4K@120Hz Dynamic HDR/eARC/HDCP 2.2​

3 of these for the short run to the Denon amp. 7200wa.

8K HDMI 2.1 Cable 2M, Sniokco Certified 48Gbps Ultra High Speed Braided HDMI Cable 6.6FT, Support Dynamic HDR, eARC, Dolby Atmos, 8K60Hz, 4K120Hz, HDCP 2.2 2.3​

Any comments?

Thanks. Oh I can't paste amazon links?

Well after testing another HDMI 15 meter lead with no luck and then a shorter length which worked I've ordered the following.

1 of these..

RUIPRO 8K HDMI Fibre Optic Cable 15m HDMI 2.1 48Gbps 8K@60Hz 4K@120Hz Dynamic HDR/eARC/HDCP 2.2​

3 of these for the short run to the Denon amp. 7200wa.

8K HDMI 2.1 Cable 2M, Sniokco Certified 48Gbps Ultra High Speed Braided HDMI Cable 6.6FT, Support Dynamic HDR, eARC, Dolby Atmos, 8K60Hz, 4K120Hz, HDCP 2.2 2.3​

Any comments?

Thanks. Oh I can't paste amazon links?

Should be able to post direct links to the exact page on Amazon?

Ruipro are a pretty well known cable maker, hopefully should be ok.

You didn’t think much of it then?

I think any demo is difficult unless it’s compared against a reference you know well or own.

Nope...the dealer (I won't mention the name) had the 11000/12000 both on demo and we also saw a Sony 590 in action and the Epson 9400.

590 was the clear winner by a country mile
9400 was second followed by the two lasers

I went with my mate who's also a member on here and we both come to the same conclusion. Obviously lots of different factors - screen size/room/calibration etc etc but my 10500 produced a better image than what we saw on the day from either laser. I can only conclude that the lasers hadn't been set up properly as I certainly wouldn't of parted with my cash on the day and if I had needed a projector within my budget I would have walked away with the 9400. If I had a bit more free cash then it would have been the Sony.

Like I say its only what I/we saw on the day with our own eyes and I'm convinced the 12000 is going to produce a better image than my 10500 hence wanting to offload the 10500!

It’s tricky isn’t it, as @Luminated67 says you have to have a comparison point really in terms of the environment. But then you did see all four PJs in the same place. You sure you want to get rid of your LS10500? If my LS10000 had done HDR without the HD linker, so with Apple TV etc, I may well have kept it. Fantastic image with just the brightness a bit underwhelming.

Nope...the dealer (I won't mention the name) had the 11000/12000 both on demo and we also saw a Sony 590 in action and the Epson 9400.

I went with my mate who's also a member on here and we both come to the same conclusion. Obviously lots of different factors - screen size/room/calibration etc etc but my 10500 produced a better image than what we saw on the day from either laser. I can only conclude that the lasers hadn't been set up properly as I certainly wouldn't of parted with my cash on the day and if I had needed a projector within my budget I would have walked away with the 9400. If I had a bit more free cash then it would have been the Sony.

Like I say its only what I/we saw on the day with our own eyes and I'm convinced the 12000 is going to produce a better image than my 10500 hence wanting to offload the 10500!
Who was the dealer, kind of shocked your experience is so different to reviews.

I'll get my new speakers fitted first and by the time I've got the audio side sorted there'll hopefully be a few more 12000 owners and actual 12000's available to purchase.

If there's a few positive reviews from owners I'll see if I can get £1500 for the LS10500 and make the change. If not I'll just keep hold of it for now as it does produce a nice image still!!

I'll get my new speakers fitted first and by the time I've got the audio side sorted there'll hopefully be a few more 12000 owners and actual 12000's available to purchase.

If there's a few positive reviews from owners I'll see if I can get £1500 for the LS10500 and make the change. If not I'll just keep hold of it for now as it does produce a nice image still!!
I really loved my LS10000, I thought it was fantastic. Just missing the newer features and that bit of brightness really. I reckon you’ll get more than that for it

Well shout me up at £1500..

Did you see all those projectors under same room, same files and same conditions? Because I own a TW9400 and I would jump to another PJ for improvement in terms of cinema quality. And I'm thinking in LS1200, VW590ES and NP5 (N5 2022).

You state that 590 is best of all of them by a mile and I'd like to ask you what kind of content and files you played and what did you analyze in picture quality.

Black Level and Dynamic Contrast​

I FOUND THIS PART OF A REVIEW FROM midiasluis TO BE VERY INFORMATIVE
Epson no longer uses Iris for its Dynamic Contrast, but now uses a dynamic Laser control for it. According to the specifications, the Epson LS-Series would have a Contrast Ratio of 2,500,000:1 and of course it can dim the Laser completely so yes,... Only numbers like this make you believe that the Native black is going to be incredibly deep and that is not. Now I think the black level of this Epson LS-Series is quite nice in this price segment and I can really live with it, provided I don't compare it with the competition.

Those who are familiar with the previous TW9400 should know that we are dealing with the same panels here. The difference is of course that in addition to its 4K Pro-UHD Enhancement technique with which it can now really display a 4K resolution, Epson also uses a Laser light source with which it can dim the image incredibly quickly and which works much faster than a automatic iris. But the Native black has still remained the same. It is the other techniques around it that make the picture look nicer. If you stay below half with the Laser brightness, it also helps to make the black come out a little deeper, because more light through the panel simply lifts the black as the bottom a bit, and that is normal.

During a very dark scene with, for example, only a black starry sky, you can indeed see that the black can get a bit deeper than with the TW9400, whereby the stars also become quite dark of course and then no longer splash off the black sky. A combination of this dynamic Laser function and an Iris could have done more with this, but unfortunately. If more light objects come into the image, the Laser has to give more light and the native black immediately falls through the basket. The picture soon becomes what we were used to from the previous Epson TW9400. I'm really only talking about the contrast and black display here and not about the rest of the image, because this new Epson LS-Series really has more to offer in that regard.

So black levels very similar or possibly slightly better than the 9400, which with all the other benefits to the new model seems like a good show of it. Obviously not JVC level but better than many rivals. Apparently though there is a mechanical iris in the assembly, it must just be applied differently. Too technical for me to know how!

So black levels very similar or possibly slightly better than the 9400, which with all the other benefits to the new model seems like a good show of it. Obviously not JVC level but better than many rivals. Apparently though there is a mechanical iris in the assembly, it must just be applied differently. Too technical for me to know how!
Funny I never felt watching a movie with my 9400 that I was missing out in the enjoyment from lack of blacks. Even with the switch to a JVC I still don’t feel my enjoyment has increased because of this, maybe I just enjoy watching movies and get sucked in to the whole experience and story. LOL

Last edited:
Funny I never felt watching a movie with my 9400 that I was missing out in the enjoyment from lack of blacks. Even with the switch to a JVC I still don’t feel my enjoyment has increased because of this, maybe I just enjoy watching movies and get stocked in to the whole experience and story. LOL

You didn't notice any difference in black levels between N5 and 9400?

You didn't notice any difference in black levels between N5 and 9400?
Not what I said, what I meant was once engrossed in the movie things like blacks etc fade into the background or should I say that is how it is for me.

Actually improved HDR had a bigger impact for me personally.

maybe I just enjoy watching movies and get stocked in to the whole experience and story. LOL
I am totally the same. Have you seen the black levels you get at a commercial cinema, now they are poor yet I still enjoy watching films there.
I buy AV kit to further my enjoyment of films. Others the kit is where the hobby is, best sound and vision they can get. There is nothing wrong with either stance.

Going back to 3D on these, I am not so sure it’s as simple as a firmware update. Do they even have 3D transmitters or the ability to add one like the JVC’s?

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom