Epson EH-LS10500 Laser Projector Owners Thread

How do you figure? It's £2000 off RRP and £700 cheaper than the only other new one and still includes the 3 year warranty. Whilst it might not be native 4K that is already reflected in the price given native 4K laser in a reflective projector technology is going to cost you £15000 I would say it's a bargain.

The problem is the JVC 4K projectors are bulb and I considered waiting for an N7 at £7k when I bought mine at a discount (4.5k I think) but just didn’t want a bulb again. I have seen many N7’s and N9 now and I have not been blown away. I am sure side by side there would be an improvement, but I never go home turn mine on and get disappointed. The only PJ’s I’ve seen recently that I was really impressed by was the JVC Z1 and the Sim 2 4s both £30k units. There is a quality and stability about the Epson and colours are terrific

Don’t forget the real progress in projector evolution is slow and at this level if the 10500 had a 4K panel and was the same contrast as it is currently with a laser engine and the wide colour gamut as is it would easily be competitive at £8-10k maybe more. If your on a budget I think £4K is okay

I’m waiting for the next laser JVC or a new Epson I want to stick with laser

If I was buying today if probably buy the Epson again. We need a full 4K laser PJ with as good or better contrast as the 10500 at less than £10k.

Let’s not forget market value of electronics. The LS10500 came out in 2016 and we are 4 years further now. Tech is evolving, maybe not as fast as with other electronics but still...Also the unit doesn’t seem to be in mint condition. If I look at the JVC N5 wich can be had brand new with some dealer discount, the difference in price is too small to take the jump. On the other hand laser gives a certain “calmness” to the image, something what I really like....

Let’s not forget market value of electronics. The LS10500 came out in 2016 and we are 4 years further now. Tech is evolving, maybe not as fast as with other electronics but still...Also the unit doesn’t seem to be in mint condition. If I look at the JVC N5 wich can be had brand new with some dealer discount, the difference in price is too small to take the jump. On the other hand laser gives a certain “calmness” to the image, something what I really like....

I agree you should get a better deal than £4K but it’s still a good unit at £4k if you see what I mean. As it’s not a true 4K unit this will hold back price. In reality 2K and 4K discs look amazing. I’m not sure which comes top black level, motion handling, accurate colour, ANSI contrast, on off contrast, resolution

But for me I know it’s definitely not just resolution

Why not see if you can dem the N5 against it the N5 should win, but it might be less than you’d expect

I’m not sure projectors really fit into that bracket, they don’t sell nearly as much as any other display technology so the economies of scale simply don’t exist and R&D costs aren’t recouped from early adopters or with subsequent yearly releases of models using the exact same components.

Just compare it to the JVC X7900 which came out in 2017 and has been superseded by a new range and is still £5000 new at which point the LS10500 for £4700 new is cheaper comparatively.

Personally I bought it nearly two years ago once I found out they weren’t making any new ones and given we still have no new announcements or even rumours of any laser projectors at the same price point coming out which would match the picture quality and have 4K we could be waiting a long while longer at which point it’s a pretty good investment IMO.

I do wish they’d have done a full 18Gbps bandwidth upgrade though as the Linker I use increases sync time and without fail gives me an unsupported resolution whenever it switches from 4K/60 10bit (downscaled by the Linker) on the Amazon Firestick (or any other source!) to any other resolution.

Have you updated the linker firmware? I did about six months ago and it drastically improved handshake time

Have you updated the linker firmware? I did about six months ago and it drastically improved handshake time
Yeh, I unhooked it all the other day to change firmware, as supposedly the previous firmware fixed the frame rate issue but it didn’t work for me and still just failed with the unsupported resolution message solved by unplugging the USB to turn it on/off but annoying none the less.

Handshake times aren’t ridiculous and still better than most it’s just longer than without the Linker which is a shame.

Have to say since I've stopped tweaking and just enjoying the last couple of films I've watched 'Bad boys for life' and 'the call of the wild' (both 4K) looked stunning on my ls10500. Even Netflix 'Extraction' didn't disapoint.

I'm moving soon and will switch to a ceiling mount what are people using? I see the official Chief CHF3500 is not available anywhere anymore so just wondering what my options are.

I use the Peerless Universal mount Projector Mounts

But I dont think its as strong as it should be for the weight of the 10500, Id buy the heavy duty one if I was buying again. I use the mount and to do the final tweaks to keep it super stable I used small pieces of foam to wedge it underneath. The problem I has was seeking perfection with position I'd get it perfect then tighten only to find it moved a smidgen and also wasn't stable (vibrated) with heavy movement on the floor. Very stable now and perfectly aligned with the added bottom support (The mount is screwed to a board that sits 2" into the ceiling, this was necessary to still use my old PJ cover a it sat too low with the Peerless mount. I have filled this raised base with acoustic foam)

Cinema Room May 2020 7-9209608.jpg

I use the Peerless Universal mount Projector Mounts

But I dont think its as strong as it should be for the weight of the 10500, Id buy the heavy duty one if I was buying again. I use the mount and to do the final tweaks to keep it super stable I used small pieces of foam to wedge it underneath. The problem I has was seeking perfection with position I'd get it perfect then tighten only to find it moved a smidgen and also wasn't stable (vibrated) with heavy movement on the floor. Very stable now and perfectly aligned with the added bottom support (The mount is screwed to a board that sits 2" into the ceiling, this was necessary to still use my old PJ cover a it sat too low with the Peerless mount. I have filled this raised base with acoustic foam)

View attachment 1297593

Is it fine having it right up by the ceiling lens shift wise? The bottom of the screen will be around 0.5m from the floor. Wasn’t sure if I’d need an extension pole or not to lower it to the top of the screen which would be about 0.55m from the ceiling.

I’ll probably need to build some kind of white “vanity” box to please the other half either way since it will be getting setup in the living room. Need to work out how to blend in the black M4T speakers too :rolleyes:. Shouldn’t complain too much though as I’ve almost got free reign.

You should be fine. The motorised lens shift is fine for that adjustment. My alignment is spot on with zero need for any keystone adjustment

I use the Premier Mounts PPG,which has precision adjustments for all 3 axes, which is connected via a chief npt column to a Chief ceiling mount (the round one with the acess for cable routing). The PPG is connected via legs to the PJ

Dont believe any official retailers for Premier Mounts in UK (or rather, ive never found the PPG on sale in Uk) so i have bought their products via eBay typically from USA. I might have got the Chief stuff via Amazon, but again typically can find on eBay.

The mount & plate have massive weight capacity, and good for cable routing/hiding.

(This for LS10000....).

Anyone looking for one of these pjs might be interested to know Audiovisual online have reduced it to £3999 for the bank holiday. Bit of a bargain for a great pj and a heck of a lot cheaper than the Sony 760ES, which as of today would be my upgrade path.

Great price.

I packed up mine this morning for the move, forgot just how big the sucker is! When it's up on a stand it's looks quite svelte and then when you see it top down it's huge :laugh: .

Great price.

I packed up mine this morning for the move, forgot just how big the sucker is! When it's up on a stand it's looks quite svelte and then when you see it top down it's huge :laugh: .

It’s massive isn’t it! My projector-loving friend laughed when he saw the LS10000. I had always thought my Sony HW50 was big but it absolutely laughs in the face of that. Definitely not one to drop on your foot.

I’m amazed that Epson hasn’t replaced the LS10500, even one with the technology in the TW9400 would be one heck of a machine.

I’m amazed that Epson hasn’t replaced the LS10500, even one with the technology in the TW9400 would be one heck of a machine.
Not sure i quite understand this, if a new LS serie projector with the technology in the TW9400, will it not just make it to be a TW9400 then?

LS10500.jpg

What i love about the Epson LS10500 models is what it's technology actually do different from other Epson LCD models.
The use of laser light source that manages a full fade to black, a more stable light output than UHP lamps over time etc, and where the Epson TW9400 use trans-missive LCD panels, the Epson EH-LS10500 uses reflective LCD panels.
The us of reflecting panels make the LS more like a LCOS projector where the light pass trough the panel twice, that helps to increase the native on off and intra-scene contrast.

Do hope Epson will produce a new LS model soon, with the use of laser light source and maybe the use of reflecting panels make it easier to decrease the gap between the pixels and make it more easy to fit more pixels on the same size chip area and make it a native 4k projector.
The laser light source shod maybe be beefed up to get a little higher light output, and maybe have a different way of cooling the phosphorus so it do not need to have any rotating wheel for this.

Last edited:
^What I meant was being able to handle 4Hz HDR at 60Hz for streaming and the improvement Epson have made with both its HDR handling capabilities and its improvement with e-shift.

All small improvements but for most here it would probably be enough if it was around the £4K point.

Yes agree with you about the TW9400 HDMI with full 18Gbps suport and the 4K HDR 60fps improvements.

I do like the fill rate mutch better on the LS vs TW projectors. Here is a picture from a comparison between the LS10000 and the TW9300

Epson-EH-LS10000-vs-TW9300-E-shift-OFF-Sharpness.jpg

There has been improvements in the e-shift between TW9300 and the 9400 according to those that have owned both, maybe further tweaks to the LS range could yield benefits. Definitely HDR and 60Hz capability would be a welcome addition.

It really would be a shame if Epson dont do an ls11000, I was one of the early buyers of the ls10000 when they first came out and still have it. It’s runs through a Lumagen Pro and the image that Gordon has achieved is stunning, I cant see myself going back to a lamp based Pj now, if epson don’t add a new model then the ls10500 has got to be the bargain of the century at this price point !
The next nearest step up in laser pj is the Sony 760 at 14 grand !! Come on Epson do the right thing and add a full 4K board and get them in the shops.

Hello friends, i own LS10500 since 3 years and i calibrate it very often using i1Display Pro + Calman, DisplayCal and other similar software. I have read a lot of documentation, visited many forums, but i still can't fight with some problems which i face. One of them is the long warm-up time of the projector in ECO mode. It's around 90 minutes, until the colors/grayscale/brightness stop to drift completely. Please, can you tell me if this is normal.

Hello friends, i own LS10500 since 3 years and i calibrate it very often using i1Display Pro + Calman, DisplayCal and other similar software. I have read a lot of documentation, visited many forums, but i still can't fight with some problems which i face. One of them is the long warm-up time of the projector in ECO mode. It's around 90 minutes, until the colors/grayscale/brightness stop to drift completely. Please, can you tell me if this is normal.

Hi

Are you saying the image basically shifts in quality for 90 minutes? That doesn’t sound right. Sometimes I have to adjust for focus drift but nothing like you’ve describe. And the colours on my LS10000 never appreciably shift.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom