Epson EH-LS100 Laser LCD Projector Review & Comments

Interesting concept... Should work well for mixed use rooms

Seems like Epson is putting a toe in the consumer market for this type of product to gauge reactions, which if it sells well probably means they will bring out a dedicated 4K consumer version in the future. (Or if sales are poor forget it altogether)

Bill

I find the price horrendous for a thing that will give neither a good contrast nor good blacks and limited to 2K with so-so colours! Even a 55" we can clearly see the difference between 2K and a good 4K. I do not understand how those 2K projectors make any sense at those prices.

I find the price horrendous for a thing that will give neither a good contrast nor good blacks and limited to 2K with so-so colours! Even a 55" we can clearly see the difference between 2K and a good 4K. I do not understand how those 2K projectors make any sense at those prices.

Sometimes a short throw and 100"+ size are both required (e.g. short and wide media rooms). Trading a bit of contrast and 4K to get to it is worth it in those situations and will be more cinematic than the very best 65" OLED...

This is a good option to have. What comes close at this price?

Sometimes a short throw and 100"+ size are both required (e.g. short and wide media rooms). Trading a bit of contrast and 4K to get to it is worth it in those situations and will be more cinematic than the very best 65" OLED...

This is a good option to have. What comes close at this price?

I think I understand what you're saying, but I must say I am quite sceptical about 2K at 100".

Even a 55" we can clearly see the difference between 2K and a good 4K
Really? How close do you sit to your tv?;)

Seriously though, there is much more to a good picture than simply resolution. A good quality full HD projector can produce a fantastic image at sizes up to 120in, assuming you are sat at a sensible distance. I don't include this projector in that description, by the way

Personally I would take an 100in projected 2K picture over a 55in 4K TV all day long.

I think I understand what you're saying, but I must say I am quite sceptical about 2K at 100".

4K (even upscaled pseudo 4K) would look better at that size, with a close seating distance, but the prices for such short throw projectors are stilll very high...

And at 100" and say, 3+ meter seating distance the size is still a better tradeoff than resolution for movies in my opinion.

I haven't seen this specific projector, but going off of other projectors that I've seen at that size/resolution, it probably makes sense for people who are looking for size.

I wonder if pairing this projector with a grey screen would make more sense than a 1.0 gain white screen.

I definitely think that this kind of projector has a future in the mass market. Something like this Sony that combines style with function. . Sony’s $30,000 4K projector is its crowning CES achievement

I can see this kind of thing being very popular if the prices start to come down in a few years. A lot of people want a big picture and decent sound but don't want a huge TV or a projector hanging from the ceiling and all the faff of AV receivers and speakers.

Pro:

If burglars break into your home, they'll likely mistake it for an all in one printer / scanner and not bother stealing it

Is there something like an ugly consumer product award? I think they could win it.

Surprised no one's mentioned the Xiaomi Mi UST laser projector by way of comparison (for half the price). Oh, bum, I just did.

This projector has been out ages ago last year, Epson can't think much of it, only seen it for sale in a couple of places.

I watch 1080p Blu-rays on a 10 foot wide screen all the time and they look spectacular. Just because we now have 4K that hasn't suddenly made 1080p redundant. In fact as we often say about Ultra HD, it's not so much about the resolution but about the dynamic range and colour gamut. The majority of the films you see at the cinema are still finished at 2K but do they look terrible on a massive cinema screen?

I watch 1080p Blu-rays on a 10 foot wide screen all the time and they look spectacular. Just because we now have 4K that hasn't suddenly made 1080p redundant. In fact as we often say about Ultra HD, it's not so much about the resolution but about the dynamic range and colour gamut. The majority of the films you see at the cinema are still finished at 2K but do they look terrible on a massive cinema screen?

Yes, we heard the same things about DVD when 1080p appeared. The truth is, DVD look terrible at anything above 50".

The fact that many 4K Blu-Rays are actually 2K does not imply that 4K looks like 2K.

I agree HDR is a bigger game changer than 4K vs. 2K, but only up to a certain display size. And by the way, that expensive projector of course deprives you of HDR too.

I have seen Blu-Ray on a 65" TV we had for a week before returning it. At 65" it starts to break down on a TV. I understand that the fuzziness of a projection (compared to LCD sharpness) kind of hides that up to a point, but being fuzzy is not a positive attribute in my opinion.

I do find that most cinema projections look terrible indeed. I am totally spoiled by my OLED TV and plasma before that.

Now, I am not saying it is silly to project Blu-Rays. I am sorry if I appeared to say that.

What I am saying is that those 1080p proectors cost a lot of money compared to even OLED TVs and when you add the screen budget you end up with something that in my opinion offers bad value on the image quality front.

By your logic we should all be watching movies on a 4k 17" laptop display.

@StephaneBosman I'm glad you like your OLED better than home projectors and commercial cinemas... This product isn't for you.

A lot of us find that projection is far more cinematic than any 65" OLED TV can ever be... Even at 1080p... To each their own...

For me, i't not really cinema if the screen is smaller than I am... :cool:

By your logic we should all be watching movies on a 4k 17" laptop display.

I'd dare say the experience is quite different between a 55" OLED and a laptop display.

Featured on tonight’s Gadget Show on C5 in comparison to a TV, the projector won with commensurate ease. (Although the comparison could have been better)

Should also be available to view on Demand 5

Bill

Steve was just on the telly :cool:

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Is Home Theater DEAD in 2024?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom