Epson announce two new projectors with Ultra HD & HDR support - news discussion

Allan - so if I'm not interested in the Wi-Fi bit of the 9300 - in a black-outable room - is the better contrast ratio of the 9300 really worth the £800 difference over the 7300 ?

Also (but slightly OT) as you supplied my Oppo - any sniffs of news on their 4k player yet ?
Well you don't need to buy the wireless version so you save a chunk of money right off the bat
You also get more than just better contrast for your money buying a 9300 than the 7300

ah ... my bad - didn't see the Wi-Fi model was different *and* extra £ ! ... might have to demo side by side then to see the difference between 160,000:1 and 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio ...

Bit of a tech question, my old Epson tw5500 had 12bit HQV video processing the 9300 does 10bit. I hate banding so wondering if am I actually dropping down in terms of colour bit depth?

Has anyone checked out the 3D performance of the 9300 yet or am I the only one still interested in the format..

Allan - so if I'm not interested in the Wi-Fi bit of the 9300 - in a black-outable room - is the better contrast ratio of the 9300 really worth the £800 difference over the 7300 ?

Also (but slightly OT) as you supplied my Oppo - any sniffs of news on their 4k player yet ?

well let's just say if it was me I'd spend the extra to get the 9300 not only for the contrast as Andy has mentioned

in a darkened room then a black projector I'd say was my preference, then theirs the extra 2 years warranty and 5 years unlimited lamp warranty rather than 3 years 1 lamp

I believe the optics to be the same but there was a difference in contrast to be seen which I'd say you'd see in your room also

at the end of the day I doubt you'd be disappointed with either unit tbh

regards the OPPO, no news yet I'm afraid and I do get asked everyday, it will be posted in the OPPO thread no doubt as soon as something is released :smashin:

I apologize as I understand it was because of my awkward "comparing" question that all these issues and tensions roused. Sorry Allan, I totally understand your point of view.

absolutely no need to apologise my friend, it's sometimes difficult to please someone without peeing someone else off ;)

the one thing I can add with confidence is I simply cannot see why anyone would be disappointed in the sub £3K projector market with all the offerings available ATM :thumbsup:

Last edited:
Has anyone checked out the 3D performance of the 9300 yet or am I the only one still interested in the format..

I tried 3D on a 9300 and IMHO it's as good as I remember the LS10000 to be, it wasn't a long session though so not trawled through endless discs but certainly very good from what I remember 3D to be

I tried 3D on a 9300 and IMHO it's as good as I remember the LS10000 to be, it wasn't a long session though so not trawled through endless discs but certainly very good from what I remember 3D to be

Was there much crosstalk?

If you (any member) had a choice between the 7300 and a Sony HW45ES what would you buy?

I'm torn between the two... my heart is telling me to get the Epson but my head is say the Sony as it's cheaper and more in my price range.

EDIT
Maybe this will be a bit biased in the Epson thread... didn't think about that at the time.

all I watched was a bit of Christmas Carol and didn't remember seeing much at all if any

That's great to hear..I live in deepest Cornwall so getting a demo is proving to be difficult..I've only heard positive things about this projector so I may have to just buy it blind..I'm sure I won't be disappointed..

Go with your head every day of the week
Also within your price range

Thanks Allan ... is the non wifi 9300 available in white ?

If you (any member) had a choice between the 7300 and a Sony HW45ES what would you buy?

I'm torn between the two... my heart is telling me to get the Epson but my head is say the Sony as it's cheaper and more in my price range.

EDIT
Maybe this will be a bit biased in the Epson thread... didn't think about that at the time.

if its cheaper and more in your price range Ben then "go for it" is the obvious answer, however the obvious answer is not always the best choice :D

as you know via our emails both are great projectors

Allan

Having seen both I would go with the Epson both are nice but the Epson is a steal...

ah ... my bad - didn't see the Wi-Fi model was different *and* extra £ ! ... might have to demo side by side then to see the difference between 160,000:1 and 1,000,000:1 contrast ratio ...

Those are advertising specs. With normal video modes and content, the difference without the dynamic iris is more like 1500:1 and 7000:1. With the DI it's more like 9000:1 and 42000:1. It will vary a little depending on the amount of zoom you use (and there is a further manual iris in the lens of the 9300).

There may be ways to get more on/off contrast (if you want that), but that will require testing/filters/recalibration and we can't do that until dealers start getting them in.

Last edited:
According to Light Illusion when watching TV the human visual system is in a state of full adaptation and the static dynamic range viewable is around 10,000:1.

Do they mention what the range is if the eyes iris comes into play? Got a link? Thanks.

I'm wondering if the size of the image on the retina has a lot to do with that, along with the typical brightness a direct tv display has - that's often why bias lighting is used for tv - because it can cause eye fatigue with the iris constantly working and the image being a relatively bright spot in an otherwise dark surround. Movies on a big screen aren't a problem because they take up a greater field of view and are dimmer (or should be).

Do they mention what the range is if the eyes iris comes into play? Got a link? Thanks.

I'm wondering if the size of the image on the retina has a lot to do with that, along with the typical brightness a direct tv display has - that's often why bias lighting is used for tv - because it can cause eye fatigue with the iris constantly working and the image being a relatively bright spot in an otherwise dark surround. Movies on a big screen aren't a problem because they take up a greater field of view and are dimmer (or should be).

Light Illusion

As I thought, it's for watching tv as described.

When you take into account the adaptive abilities of the eye, we have a huge range which they say is around 1,000,000:1. In extremes of dark and light the eye can take some time to adapt, but for the limited contrast of tvs and projectors, it will be a lot quicker - unless you have full fade to black ability. I think most people can easily see the difference between the black levels of an Epson 9300 vs a JVC X5000 for example.

So just to be clear, the 10,000:1 figure shouldn't let people think they don't need a pj with more than 10,000:1 on/off CR.

Gary.

9300 in black only

9300w in white only

7300 white only

Allan

Ah ... that makes the process of quietly swapping one white projector for another a little more difficult ! ;-)

After all the toing and froing I paid my deposit and added my name to Allan's Epson list.... just got to play the waiting game now.

Thanks for your help :smashin:

After all the toing and froing I paid my deposit and added my name to Allan's Epson list.... just got to play the waiting game now.

Thanks for your help :smashin:

you won't be disappointed Ben

that i can assure you

Allan

i've changed it because i've been asked if its native or not a couple of times which it isn't, which is why it didn't say so in my signature, so as i didn't say that it was "native", just 4k, why on earth do you think that was being dishonest

it can accept a native 4k source and it can upscale to 4k so why was i being dishonest, please explain that to me

thats you just being an @rse :nono:

It seems some people Al....are deliberately nit picking and just clutching at straws mate....in their misguided attempt at causing issues where there aren't any....!! They can't have anything else better to do mate....!!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom