Epson announce two new projectors with Ultra HD & HDR support - news discussion

The Epson site doesn't seem to be working for me right now, what is the main difference between the 7300 and 9300?

One of the differences looks like there is a manual iris adjustment like in the JVCs, and the 7300 doesn't seem to have that option - in the advanced menu on page 78 of the user manual - lens iris on the 8300 and 9300 only. I think there is also an ISF mode too which isn't on the lower model.

Forgot to mention support for anamorphic lenses which the 7300 doesn't have. I think that was mentioned earlier in the thread

Last edited:
Is that correct that we can only take advantage of DCI in one mode only?

I don't know - the menu shows that as an option in the colour menu on page 32 of the manual, so I guess you can't choose things like dynamic or natural with the P3 colour space. I don't know what that may limit elsewhere

Yes it specifically says that you can only use DCI in the Digital Cinema mode which me no like... I found Natural to be the best on the LS10K when tested it (I think).

Any idea of a release date (or month) for the 9300? I was going to go for a 9200 but the room it's going in won't be ready for a couple of months so I might as well wait for the 9300...

Any idea of a release date (or month) for the 9300? I was going to go for a 9200 but the room it's going in won't be ready for a couple of months so I might as well wait for the 9300...

I'm waiting for confirmation but a couple of months should be fine

I have heard from a good source that they shouldn't be too long ;)

Yes it specifically says that you can only use DCI in the Digital Cinema mode which me no like... I found Natural to be the best on the LS10K when tested it (I think).

Natural is the closest to Rec.709 which is why it would have looked best. Digital Cinema is the one designed to go closer to DCI-P3, so most likely looked overblown in your viewing?

The thing to remember with Epson projectors, is that they have memories, so you can 10 different calibrations using Digital Cinema memory if you want, or 5 under natural, and 5 under Digital Cinema.

For people wondering about the size of the projector. It is very similar to the outgoing models, with a slightly larger 'hood' at the front. You can almost see the join in the picture, where it is 'bigger'.

CmsvyqRWIAUROsi.jpg

Differences between the TW9300 and TW7300 are going to be similar to the differences between the TW7200 and TW9200, i.e. warranty etc. Contrast is better on the TW9xxx range too. I have seen this on the outgoing range.

The big difference and improvement for me (for the TW9300 vs TW7300) is the addition of a manual iris (that @Gary Lightfoot ) has picked up on. This we have been asking Epson for, for years, and whilst it appeared in the LS10000, it is good to see it in a sub £3k Epson. In the same way it helped the Sony HW55/65 increase contrast over a HW40/45, I expect the same for Epson.

Not sure if it has been covered in here already, but the quoted fan outputs are also significantly lower (especially in high) this year. 20dbA/24dbA vs 22dbA/32dbA.

All in all, looks like the Sub £3000 projector market could be ready for a shake up after going a bit stagnant over the last few years:)

Have you got one on demo already Ricky, or is that one you've seen elsewhere?

Have you got one on demo already Ricky, or is that one you've seen elsewhere?

Seen elsewhere unfortunately. They also were not allowed to turn it on though, although looked like a final production style unit (maybe software needs completing)? With a bit or wind behind the sails we should see demo units around September hopefully (if not before). Certainly the production process seems to be well under way, looking at the sample I saw today, and the fact the details are on the Epson website, along with pricing and manuals, so September looks like an achievable goal:)

Last edited:
Someone asked about anamorphic support with 4k - page 35 says:

• When a 4K image signal is being input, you can only select Normal, Anamorphic Wide, and Horiz. Squeeze

Which sounds like a lens is supported with 4k

Natural is the closest to Rec.709 which is why it would have looked best. Digital Cinema is the one designed to go closer to DCI-P3, so most likely looked overblown in your viewing?

The thing to remember with Epson projectors, is that they have memories, so you can 10 different calibrations using Digital Cinema memory if you want, or 5 under natural, and 5 under Digital Cinema.

Yes probably why. So are you suggesting that any mode can be calibrated for P3? Also if they come any close to their claimed brightness and won't lose as much after calibration they might get away with using low mode for HDR me thinks, just to avoid the hair drier mode.

I think some people in the US over on avs are using a HDFury or similar with other projectors (JVC, Sony, LS10k?) to get all of the UHD features but strip out the HDR part so they can get 10 bit WCG UHD without the pj going to high lamp and high fan. That may need looking into if that's also the case with the Epsons and people don't want HDR but want everything else.

Last edited:
Or just simply turn it off at the player or the projector if the facilitates are there.

Is it as simple as that without impacting other areas? Otherwise I don't see the need for the HDFury type products that people are using - they use them to tweak the EDID etc to override things, unless it's for a specific model (LS10k) that isn't fully compliant so needs external intervention perhaps. It's certainly a lot easier to just be able to turn it off in the menu that's for sure.

Well on my current 300ES I have no need for the Fury it's sitting idle as the image I am getting is superb. I am getting the 320ES very shortly which can do HDR so will see if simply turning it off on the PJ will flick it into SDR mode. I think the challenge is to keep WCG with HDR off which is perhaps where the Fury is needed. I will be able to test hopefully over the weekend. Sorry don't want o derail this thread. Perhaps will open a new one for this.

Excuse my ignorance but why would you want HDR Off ?
I thought it was a must have for 4K UHD

I think the issue is possible fan noise in HDR mode and given the general consensus that these projectors won't be bright enough to do HDR justice, the HDR option might as well be switched off for a better listening experience.

Thanks Ninja
That's a pity on both counts
In saying that I have seen films on my AE3000 with certain scenes (Not many granted) that sear your eyeballs so much I have to turn away till they pass.
Of course the Panasonic AE3000 is a bit long in the tooth and cant be compared today's projectors but in saying that it is the one piece of kit that I have never been inclined to upgrade.

I think the issue is possible fan noise in HDR mode and given the general consensus that these projectors won't be bright enough to do HDR justice, the HDR option might as well be switched off for a better listening experience.
Not just that, projectors in this category simply do not have what it takes to display HDR properly so some prefer to have it turned off but they do not want to give up on WCG at the same time. Lets hope these new machines can actually really deliver as promised. Mind you I've managed to achieve some very good HDR results with a JVC I had.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom