EPSON 2013/2014 - EH-TW5200-TW7200-TW8200 and maybe TW9200

Well, I had Chris Frost round last night looking at both the Epson and the Panasonic and after an hour and half of tweaking the 9200 was starting to assert itself over the 6000.

Even though the red - pinky tone was still their and it looks like it might require a full calibration to iron this out it was easier to create a more realist image than it was with the 6000 during that period.

I have to mention the black levels again on the new 9200 as they also surprised Chris to.

Regards, Shane.

Epson are certainly getting their as both the 7200 and 9200 are projectors that I would be happy to have in home.

I would have to agree. The 7200 will be strong this year for the price I think. First impressions have been impressive in this neck of the woods.

I drove up to see Allan at IdealAV on Wednesday and to collect my 9200. Anyone who has ever dealt with Allan will know that he cannot do enough for his customers and he was very willing to set up 'my' 9200 in his 'dark room' so that I could see it before committing myself to buy it (although it was never really in doubt that I would be taking one home - LOL).

Before demoing the 9200, Allan put the latest Sony 500 through its paces - and the result was as awesome as one would expect for a £9k PK. I wondered out loud if this was going to make me disappointed in the 9200.

So, we plugged it in, turned it on and played a Bluray through it. We adjusted the brightness down by 4 'notches' - and then we both sat there amazed. I have set up a lot of displays over the years and I can genuinely say that I have never seen such amazing out-of-the-box performance (this with the unit in 'natural' mode). Considering we had made NO adjustments to ANYTHING at all, other than the small adjustment to brightness (and turning off all the usual 'enhancement cr&p) the PQ was astonishing.

Allan gave his time as generously as ever and we played through various scenes from several of his demo BDs. I was impressed with the sharpness (coming from DLP this was something I was particularly interested in) and also with the black levels which were deeply satisfying.

Next morning I installed my Peerless mount and set up the 9200 in my own HT (quick and easy thanks to the Epson's vertical and horizontal shift adjustments and the 'peerless' micro-adjustment capability of the mount) and within a few minutes I had a stunning picture on my ReactII screen. The very good black levels give the image a solid foundation and noticeable 'depth' while the excellent sharpness brings out all the detail from the image. Tonight I will adjust the settings using my S&M setup disc and, once the lamp has settled down with a couple of hundred hours on it, I will dig out my colorimeter and Calman 5 and do a full calibration. It is already superb and it can only get better!

So, once again, thank you, Allan - you have a thoroughly satisfied customer!

Does anyone have a url for the page where one can register the 9200 for the 5 year warranty? I scoured Epson's website and the only reference I can find to a 5 year warranty is for a load of business PJs. Allan is looking into it for me, but if anyone has actually registered for the extended warranty, I'd be grateful if they could post the link for me. Thanks.

Does anyone know where I can buy the Epson 9200 online. I'm in South Africa.

Any info on whether the wireless module increases the input lag? Read somehwere that on the Benq w1500 using the wireless hdmi increased inputlag to +100ms! Thinking about upgrading my Benq w1070 to the 9100W but since I game a lot on my projector, this is important to me.

I would say keep clear of a wireless set-up if you are using it for gaming.

I've been testing the 9200 at home and found that football in HD is not as smooth as I had hoped for, so please go and demo before purchasing to see whether the 9100 is fast enough for you.

Regards, Shane.

I'm using a 9200 and 9200W in both my rooms to demo and watching 1080p footy looks great Shane, certainly as smooth as the X35 and maybe the Sony as well

I never use any for gaming though so can't comment

How does the 9200 stack up against VPL HW55ES? as in the grand scheme of things there isn't much difference in price between the two, and last years Sony looked amazing.

to be honest the 9200 this year looks better than last years 9100, black level is better and so is sharpness

the ootb image looks fabulous to me

but so does the new Sony 55 as well, that is also improved on last years 50

demo is the only way to pick them apart

Allan

Last edited:
Can anyone who has the TW7200 comment on how happy/unhappy you are with yours? Looking to get an upgrade for my Benq w1070. Important for me: gaming and 3D. The Benq is pretty good for that, but I find it a pretty loud projector (fan) and I suppose the Epson should have better blacks too.

Interested in the TW7200. Bit above what I initially wanted to spend but seems like a big jump from the 6100. Anyone got any experience with it?

I took delivery today of a 8100 from projector point with the lower profile bracket. Very impressed. 3.5m screen, 7.5m throw.

Last edited:
Anyone got any idea if the wireless module on the tw9200w adds any input lag?

I'm wondering how the new models compare to last years models - I assume the blacks improvement wouldn't be worth me upgrading in a light room?

The 9200 is by far the best LCD I've seen for black detail so yes that side has been improved. As for the differences between the 9200 and the 7200. Yes you can see it however I feel the x-pounds more you'll pay for the 9200 over that of the 7200 a very tough decision.

For me as I've put in our review, the 7200 is the gem of the series. I've played with the7200 and 9200 at home I have found that both projectors are great in poor room situations whereas the 9200 has a better level of black to grey scale in better rooms. My only grip is the red tint that needs to be ironed out.

Apart from that, I would recommend anyone thinking of buying either to buy with confidence.

Regards, Shane.

The only issue with 3D pictures, really, is that they suffer with more motion judder than 2D ones. However, although there isn’t anything you can really do to get rid of this, it’s only during fast camera pans across large-scale environments that it can become a distraction. And even then it’s not as distractingly ‘billowy’ as the judder seen on some 3D projector rivals.
Read more at Epson EH-TW7200: 3D and Verdictl

Just remember to turn the frame creation on. Even though this is a detestable thing to do with a projector. I saw the 9200 doing 3D with it on and off and it sorted the movement issues out.

9/10. As I said before. I felt this was the gem in the new Epson line-up. Glad to see a trusted review has seen what I have seen.

Regards, Shane.

How would you guys say the 8100 compares to the newer models?

I'm holding out for 4k, but this is just sounding interesting.

if its only a slight upgrade, i may as well wait for next years models.....

the 9200 is sharper, better focussing, contrast is up so improving blacks, I think panel alignment is improved so convergence is very good as well

its not massive but nothing is, I`d say the 9200 is a step up from the 8100

I've ordered the TW7200. Had a call that it's ready to pick up but they shut at 17:30... Same time that I finish work!!

Picking up tomorrow as they open later on a Thursday. Getting excited..

Have had a TW7200 for a few days now at my home to play with. Unfortunately it did not work with my hdmi-over-utp solution so I had to buy a wireless hdmi device. This works fine (syncing takes a little longer). I just wonder if the TW9200 would be a major improvement, keeping in mind I have the TW7200 in my living room which can be darkened but has a light-grey ceiling. Blacks look a bit grayish but this is probably due to a combination of the light coloured ceiling and my 6-yr old screen which has a 1.5 gain (too much).

Had a brief play around last night and Sky 3D would not switch to 3D.
Got an error saying something along the lines of this source is not compatible for 3D.

Any thoughts?

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom