Epson 1080UB

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by rubberducker, Jan 23, 2008.

1. rubberducker

rubberducker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Can't believe this projector hasn't got its own thread.

from all the reports it sounds like a watershed projector that the average man might be able to afford without remortgaging his wife.:eek:

http://www.projectorcentral.com/projector_news121807.htm

i have just sold my aging epson EMP 74 (with a contrast ratio of 800!) and really would love a 1080p projector. the 1080UB sounds like the perfect fit - but I cannot see where to import one from. any ideas?

a newb would appreciate enlightment - impressions or opinions of the projector welcomed.

2. sahara_desert

sahara_desert

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16

;)
    Art Feierman at Projector Reviews likes it 2!
    http://www.projectorreviews.com/epson/powerlite-home-cinema-1080ub/index.php

I've been looking at this Epson to,in US they let you pick the color you want to (not to bad)
    have been googling around for one hour or so and i find a somewhat intresting shop that sell's this puppy,for what i think maybe is amongst USA's lowest price 2733$
    It seems to be a rather secure&respected shop 15 years in buisniess,located in Ohio,US
    with international shipping&BBB acrediated buisniess confirmation AND Epson authorized reseller!

http://www.compsource.com/ps/V11H262120/Epson_155/#ship

http://welcome.bbb.org/

http://www.aresllc.com/zip-codes-finder/

~1720£ in your UK livingroom inclusive all taxes and shipping...not bad for a JVC HD1 rival!
    :uk:

3. RamonD

RamonD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    I have been living with the Epson TW2000 the europoean version of the 1080ub for about 8 weeks in far from ideal viewing conditions, no screen etc in anticipation of the completion of my cinema room. I chose this over the panny as it was better to my eyes and looked a lot sleaker (physical charecteristics) The image is amazing even on patterned wallpaper!!!

It felt like I made the right decision when viewing the both, I was lucky enough to take advantage of the promotion at the what hi fi show and received the unit with full 3 year warranty for £1975 from Epson which was more in line with the price of the panny, I havent seen a HD1 as it was clearly out of my 2k budget, so may have fluked the best bang for buck 1080 PJ around. I still use factory settings they seem fine to me, will tweak or calibrate once I get the room finished.

You must demo though, the panny is huge and ugly but wont matter in a dedicated cinema room the epson is much smaller and sleaker, happy hunting.

4. rubberducker

rubberducker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    thanks for that! great work.

i would love to hear some impressions on it from the members of this board that know a thing or two about projectors.

can't believe more people aren't talking about it. the projector sounds too good to be true...

is the TW2000 the same as the 1080UB? i thought the 1080UB had only just come out?

5. jacko5

jacko5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    The Epson 1080UB is the US name for the European Epson TW2000. They are the same PJ.
    The reason that there is not more enthusiasm for it in the UK is the fact that it is overpriced against the Panasonic AE2000. Even if it is better in some respects, most people would begrudge paying the higher price for what may be marginal differences.

6. rubberducker

rubberducker
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    i thought it was a JVC beater?

7. jacko5

jacko5

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    If you read Art Feiermans review in Projector Reviews, he rates the Epson 1080UB/TW2000 very highly, but still short of the JVC HD1/RS1.

What impresses him most is its value for money against performance.
    In the US the 1080UB can be had for the equivalent of £1300, with rebate, whereas the JVC RS1/HD1, is roughly equivalent to £750 more expensive. ie over 50% more.
    In the UK however they are roughly the same price, so people are asking, why should I pay that for the TW2000 when I can get an HD1 for the same price?

8. Hugh

Hugh
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,187
  9. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    Exactly...

Which is why no one in the UK with bother buying the Epson.

The JVC-HD1 is better and the PT-AE2000 is much better value.

10. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,252
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I happliy use an AE2000 in our living room. ;)

11. sdb123

sdb123
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,252
    RamonD - can I just ask a quick question.

If you hadn't been able to get the Epson for the price you did, what pj would you have plumped for? Or would you still be looking?

12. Zag

Zag

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +65
    At that price the Epson really does make a lot of sense. Whilst the HD-1 & VW60 are incrementally just slightly ahead in terms of performance. The Epson could make a great budget compromise between the two LCOS machines.

13. Tribeless

Tribeless
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Isn't the 1080UP the TW1000, NOT the TW2000?

If so be very careful. I own a TW1000, and am generally happy with it, however, regarding HD, what it was designed for, it has a fatal flaw, being the 24fps, hence, judder, fiasco. Which Epson doesn't seem to feel it is ever important replying to my queries regarding a possible firmware fix for.

Next time around I'll be going Mitsubishi, Epson after sales service being what it is: crap.

14. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
  15. RamonD

RamonD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    If i didnt get it for that price it would have definatly been the the panny, I like single chip dlp as well as i dont suffer from rainbows but the offsets for many of these did not work in my room.

For the record being an owner I would not have gone for the epson at 1k more than the panny as it was over my budget and as noob a 2k budget for me was reasonable.

At the current price, I feel the epson will struggle against the likes of Infocus IN82 and HD1 that I have seen in demo, but I know that an uncalibrated epson comes close to those in respect of image quality so I cant wait for a full calibration and perhaps someone who is not a total noob pick one up and offer you a better comparison with past PJ that I cant do.

16. RamonD

RamonD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    PS Remeber that in the US they sell the Home and Pro version. The TW2000 is the pro version of the 1080ub with better calibration functionality.

17. C4man

C4man

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    Lots of the price comparisions on this forum seem to be comparing the UK TW2000 and the US 1080 UB and hence the massive price difference. We should be looking at the price difference between the 1080 UB pro and the TW2000. Although there is still a substantial saving to be made.

Also remember that when buying the US verison (the 1080 UB pro) you get a replacent bulb as well. Whilst in the uk you get a 3 year or 2000 hour waranty on the original.

This is yet another reason IMHO to import this projector. Come on Epson give us a chance to buy this projector in the UK at a reasonable price. Otherwise another one is going to be winging it's way across the Atlantic to me!

18. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    The full details of the two models taken from Art's blog here
    http://www.projectorreviews.com/blog/
    * Black case instead of pearl white
    * Higher price point ($3999 with spare lamp and mount), vs $2999 less $200 rebate, for the HC1080UB
    * Different Presets, i.e. Silverscreen instead of Theater Black1… (smoke and mirrors?)
    * ISF Certified. (Better color out of the box - that was the case last year, I haven't seen a new “Pro”)
    * Two extra modes for ISF Day, Night
    * A 3rd year warranty!

So going by easy to lookup precendents like Wii/PS3/Xbox/iPod/laptop prices we should reasonably expect £2999 for the pro (including bulb!) or £2240 for the non-pro version.

Personally, the thought of potential dust is enough to steer me towards the HD1 if the prices are that similar.

19. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Just noticed that according to this page...
    http://www.theaudioworks.co.uk/nsav/
    There's a chance that Chris Frost will be showing the TW2000 at the Northers Sound & Vision Show this weekend. I'm going anyway, so I'll report my findings if it's there.

20. RamonD

RamonD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Trying Times, If you go to the show and se the PJ, their may be a chance that they may offer you the same price as I got at the What Hi Fi show as it was a show promotional offer, just remeber I paid £1975 from that offer and the supplier even threw in a free 1.5m HDMI cable, have a good look at the PJ, check out the different colour modes and ensure the automatic iris is on. Do try to take some demo material with you, as at the what hi fi show they only had a blue ray demo disk, a ps3 and a blue ray player.

If you can get it that price, you will get a 3 year warranty on the PJ and the bulb and makes it a no brainer when compared to the competition.

21. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    My credit card will be in tow :)
    It will be interesting to talk to Chris about it as he is a long-time CRT man (used to work for Owl - the Seleco distributors). I know he also worked for the Cineversum distributors for a while too, so he'll be familiar with the HD1 (or at least the Blackwing version of it).

22. RamonD

RamonD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Trying Times, did you mange to view the PJ at the Bristol store? Did they offer it to you at the promotional price?

23. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    Chris wasn't showing the Epson, but a screen manufacturer was showing it.
    It looked good. I noticed a few issues, which would have bugged me quite a bit. What I'm trying to find out is whether these issues are setup/source related or inherent to the PJ.

One thing we noticed is a strange streaking of light areas into dark areas. For example there was a man with black hair walking along a corridor towards the camera. The corridor had strip lights horizontally across the screen behind the man's hair. We noticed that you could see the light from the striplights go across the dark areas in his hair. As he bobbed up and down you could clearly see the light stripes bleeding over from the striplights.

I see a similar artefact on my CRT PJ, but I know the reason for that - I can't for the life of me think why this should have been present on a digital.

Can any owners check if they see this - for example a candle light in a dark room - does the light have a horizontal trail across the dark areas?

The other issue was the elevation of black level in mixed scenes - The iris must have opened up quite a bit to achieve the brightness. It took away some of the 3D punch present in some higher priced competitors. Black level was good enough for black bars to be hidden during dark scenes. Unfortunately I didn't get to see a 2.35 movie with higher APL scenes to see what happened there.

All-in-all though it was hard not to imagine that almost everybody would be happy with this machine. Most of the other PJs I've seen are far more distracting with their limitations.

Unfortunately, I'm yet to see the HD1, VW60 or Mitsubishi models. My experience at this price point is mostly Panasonic, VW50 and most of the infocus and optoma DLPs.

24. tryingtimes

tryingtimes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +531
    It was the Northern Sond & VIsion show at Manchester Airport. It wasn't the same price as the London show, but yes, there was room for haggling. Anyone interested might fancy visiting the Bristol show.