Epson 1060 vs 2100 vs others? Outdoor Viewing

Too Fresh

Novice Member
Reaction score
I’m looking to buy my first projector for outdoor viewing and occasionally in my basement. This will be used for sports and movies. 4K is not needed, I’m good with 1080

I’ve read that the Epson 1060 is a great outdoor projector due to the 3,100 lumens. I’ve also heard the contrast/black levels are lackluster. I can get this projector refurbished for $380.

I have someone near me selling a new Epson 2100 for $300 which I’ve heard is much better with contract/black levels. However I’m worried the 2,500 lumens won’t be enough outdoors.

Can anyone weigh in their advice on which one they would go with and if the 600 difference will be as big as it sounds?

PS: if you recommend any other projectors please let me know (please not one that will give the rainbow effect)

I’m looking to buy my first projector for outdoor viewing and occasionally in my basement. This will be used for sports and movies. 4K is not needed, I’m good with 1080

I’ve read that the Epson 1060 is a great outdoor projector due to the 3,100 lumens. I’ve also heard the contrast/black levels are lackluster. I can get this projector refurbished for $380.

I have someone near me selling a new Epson 2100 for $300 which I’ve heard is much better with contract/black levels. However I’m worried the 2,500 lumens won’t be enough outdoors.

Can anyone weigh in their advice on which one they would go with and if the 600 difference will be as big as it sounds?

PS: if you recommend any other projectors please let me know (please not one that will give the rainbow effect)

If you haven't seen a DLP projector how do you know you're susceptible to RBE? It's rare with recent projectors.

The way to get the actual lumens in whatever preset and lamp mode is from reviews that have actually measured them, not from the lumens number next to the projector's name.
Or use this calculator:

The recommended fL value is 15, but since lamps dim in time it needs to be higher.

This is in the dark of course, not sunset/dusk, etc.

If a projector is bright enough depends on the screen size/fabric, which should be chosen after the projector has been used for a while on a wall.

Have you decided on a seating distance?

The HC2100/2150 have slightly better black floor, but it's a subjective topic.

If you haven't seen a DLP projector how do you know you're susceptible to RBE? It's rare with recent projectors.

The way to get the actual lumens in whatever preset and lamp mode is from reviews that have actually measured them, not from the lumens number next to the projector's name.
Or use this calculator:

The recommended fL value is 15, but since lamps dim in time it needs to be higher.

This is in the dark of course, not sunset/dusk, etc.

If a projector is bright enough depends on the screen size/fabric, which should be chosen after the projector has been used for a while on a wall.

Have you decided on a seating distance?

The HC2100/2150 have slightly better black floor, but it's a subjective topic.

Good point regarding RBE. So I have not tested any DLP projectors personally. However, I plan to use the projector mainly outside and with some friends/family over.

So even if I don’t experience the rainbow effect - I don’t want any of my guests to either and figured it would be better just to opt these type of projectors out and not have to deal with it. Let me know if this is a bad idea?

I appreciate the calculator link - I will try and play around with it and see what I come up with. Being completely new to all of this it is a bit intimidating/confusing. But I’ll mess around with it and see what I can learn.

This will be in my backyard so I guess seating could be anywhere up to like 30 ft back or closer

Good point regarding RBE. So I have not tested any DLP projectors personally. However, I plan to use the projector mainly outside and with some friends/family over.

So even if I don’t experience the rainbow effect - I don’t want any of my guests to either and figured it would be better just to opt these type of projectors out and not have to deal with it. Let me know if this is a bad idea?

I appreciate the calculator link - I will try and play around with it and see what I come up with. Being completely new to all of this it is a bit intimidating/confusing. But I’ll mess around with it and see what I can learn.

This will be in my backyard so I guess seating could be anywhere up to like 30 ft back or closer

Just set the screen size, and choose a projector and you'll get fL values in the calculator.

The HC1060 is bright enough for around a 200" screen, the HC2100 for ~130".

General ratio for diagonals are from 10-12" for every foot in distance. So 30' distance would be between 300" and 360". Obviously that's too large so the seating would have to be closer.

The larger the screen the dimmer the image.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom