Epos

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Epoman, Jan 4, 2002.

1. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    I'm new to all this AV stuff and I'm trying to get a system up and running.

I've got a pair of Epos ES11's which I was proposing to use for front speakers. I've also been offered a second pair which I could use as rears (side). I hear that Epos are bringing out a dedicated centre channel so that could complete the setup.

Does anybody have any experience of a similar setup and whether the Epos are suitable for AV use? They are after all an audiophile music speaker. What speakers would be complimentry for rear (back)?

The rest of my system includes:
    Denon AVR 3802 AV amp.
    Sony KV32FX60U widescreen TV
    Sony DVPS536D DVD player
    Rel Q150E subwoofer

Also: Has anybody tried connecting a Naim NAP250 to the pre outs of the Denon for front speakers? Overkill?

Cheers
    Imran

2. SimonInd

SimonInd
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I'm using a pair of ES22s as my fronts with B&W 601s as rears - not an obvious match but I had them as spare speakers. The ES22s are powered by my Denon AVC A1D which seems to be more than adequate power wise and I'd imagine adding Naim Power amps would be pointless as the Denon pre-amp would be an obvious limitation in the setup.

Epos are bringing out a centre (soon I hope) and some smaller rear speakers sometime soon so you could always wait for them - although if the ES11s are cheap then you might as well snap them up...

As far as are they any good for Home Cinema - well they're excellent for music and generally that's harder to get right than movies so I shouldn't worry, most people have complimented me on the sound of my system and that's without a centre speaker. I've just added a DIY sub to fill out the bottom end but your REL probably does that, but one thing I won't be changing anytime soon are the front speakers!

If you don't want the extra ES11s and they're still going, let me know....

Cheers

Simon

3. Epoman

Epoman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85
    Thanks for the reply Simon.

The ES11's that I have need new mid bass units which are going to cost £180. From your reply it seems that it's probably worth spending the money on them and using them as fronts. I ceretainly don't know of any speaker that I can get for that price that will out do them (from a music point of view).

I'll let you know about the other pair.

From what I read on the Epos forum Naim and Epos make a particularly good match so I might invest in the necassary cable to try out the NAP250.

Epos web site dosn't tell you very much about the new centre and rears. Let me know if you hear anything.

Cheers.
    Imran