Question Epos M Subwoofer or BK12-300SB or XLS400?

JamesR100

I had a very quick question. I've had a BK Gemini 2 for a while now and it has been fantastic, I am considering upgrading it. The build quality of of the BK has been impeccable, so I'm a fan of the brand. Some options have come up. So I've heard good things of the EPOS M, and there's one that I might be able to pick up for £300 or slightly below. Two other options are the BK12-300SB and it seems I'd bee looking at around £350 (new) for that and similarly the XLS400 for that price second hand.

So my conundrum is which one to go for, I haven't got a huge lounge, probably 12ft by 16ft, it might be the opinion that it's not worth upgrading and if so, which of the options out of the EPOS M, the BK-XLS 400 and BK12-300SB would you go for? The system it fits into is Q acoustic 7000i speakers. and q acoustic ceiling speakers.

Luminated67

Is it a lot more bass you are after and is the £350 to upper limit of what you want to spend. I had a BK12-300SB which I sold to a mate, brilliant sub which real detail instead of the usual thud associated with a lot of subwoofers but if you want more volume and depth you should also consider the new P12-300SB-PR, occasionally B-Grade ones appear on eBay for little more. It's what I am currently watching for.

JamesR100

Thank you a lot for the reply, I appreciate it. Well, I'm not really after a lot more depth, just even more detail, the Gemini is really pretty good, but slightly more power and definition is exactly what I'm after, I'm not really interested in the entire room shaking to bits. So I'll take a look at the P12-300SB-PR, to be honest it gets such great review at the price, it's probably the one to get.

Dolus

There is another option. As you like the Gemini 2, have you considered getting another one?

The two co-located they will give more output as if you had a bigger sub. Spread them out and they will cancel the nulls and peaks giving a smoother bass response across the room and finally place the second one near field and get some tactile response.

And not forgetting the Double Gem- BK Double Gem

JamesR100

Thank you very much, that's a great suggestion, I hadn't considered that, as I don't have a huge lounge, well practically speaking it's a through lounge, where the lounge and dining room have been knocked into one so whilst the seating area is 3m x 4m, in fact the lounge is more like 10m wide.

Sorry, thinking out loud here, I am slightly restricted I suppose by the fact that visually I have the Gemini in Mahogany, so finding another one used is going to be very tricky. But I'm guessing it's not an issue if one subwoofer is sat next to the sofa with a small gap between the sofa/sub/corner of room at the back of the room (then colour of the sub is irrelevant as it'll be out of sight? I can lift floorboards, so running a cable under the floor wouldn't be a huge issue. Does it matter if you have for example a double gem/gemini at the back near the sofa, and the gemini at the front near the screen?

Dolus

A new Gemini 2 in Mahogany at £264,95 +£12.95 for delivery looks to be within prices you quoted in your initial post.

Your room layout and size is not dissimilar to mine, lounge/diner knocked into one. Listening area 12ft x14ft and the total width 21ft. I have two BK Monoliths at the front and a Behringer 1200D sub behind the sofa. Placing the subs is a combination of where it sounds good, looks good and feels good. I have a concrete floor so have to run all cables round the walls in plastic trunking.

JamesR100

Two monoliths, is impressive and a third sub is more relevant. That is a great point on the placement. I doubt I'll get three subs.

However I would like to say thank you for your advice though. A BK P12-300SB came onto eBay within ten miles of me almost as soon as I replied to you. So I've bought it. Decent price too. Will go and check it out and pick it up this weekend.

Graham

The 300 is supposed to be great - I have the 400 and love it (previously had a gemini II so am a big BK fan) but it's pretty big and heavy!

asdonk

I have a BK P12-330 sb and a P12-300sb/PR

Both great subwoofers for music and movies.

Attachments