1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epos ELS3s Vs Diamond 9.1

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Ronan1, Apr 6, 2005.

1. Ronan1

Ronan1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Has anyone demoed these speakers side by side? Are the epos worth the extra outlay over the Wharfedale considering here, where I live they are twice the price? It would seem that on output and build they are close enough but as I haven't heard either yet I would appreciate any opinions.

2. chito

chito

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Here in the philippines, many audio enthusiasts are in love with diamond 9.2 instead of 9.1. Epos is 2 to 4 time the price of 9.1.

3. Ronan1

Ronan1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Thank you Chito for your reply. Unfortunately Wharfedale have not released many of the new 9 series to the English market yet so I cannot find any reviews on the other models in the range. Its a good sign if the other 9's are getting positive reviews elsewhere, it means that they should be up to the standard set by the 9.1's. The only exception being the 9.4 floor standers which got a very poor review. Anyone heard the new 9.5 floorstanders? Saw them at the Wharfedale retailers when I picked up my sub (SW150) but did not get a chance to listen to them.

4. bumblebee

bumblebee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    hi ronan,

what does the review say about the 9.4?

5. Ronan1

Ronan1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Hi there Bumblebee,

Sorry for the delay, missed out on your posting for a while. The 9.4's got 3 stars out of 5 when they were reviewed. I will find the review tomorrow and post some of it here for you to read! Ronan

6. jazzman

jazzman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    ı got the wharfedale 9,6's a week ago i must say thery are well built and solid speaker ok its not wood venner or anything but to me untrained ears the sound very good i am using a marantz sr 7500 and dv 6500 with them so the sources are a little higher level then the speakers as people may say but i like the combination so far.

7. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    Is this just for stereo or surround sound? I think the Epos's provide a better sound although they're shy some bass compared to the 9.1's. That's only in stereo though as I think the centre (and sub) are really the weak components in the range.

The whole Wharfedale Diamond 9 arrangement that I heard seemed more cohesive overall in a surround context. :)

8. Ronan1

Ronan1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    The review on the Diamond 9.4 is roughly this: Well made and compact but diamond 9.1 are so good that they make the 9.4's sound humdrum and mediocre.

High frequencies are tidy enough, acceptable levels of detail and sufficient attack and the midrange communicates adequately.

These are fine attributes but there is no animation to the sound they produce, speakers should invest a recording with life and soul and here the wharfedales are found wanting.They plod along sucking the life out of even the most engaging music. Review finished stating that 9.1's on a good stand would leave them standing (sonically).

Hope this helps, by the way the Epos M5 won the test and the B&W 602 s3 were the runner up speakers.

9. Ronan1

Ronan1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    I can only find Mission, Wharfedale, Tannoy, B&W and Mordaunt short where I live. The Mordaunts are really over priced, the B&W are not too expensive and the Mission and Tannoy are also way overpriced. I have a Denon 1604 amp and am just learning that I am probably forced to run smallish bookshelf speakers from this amp to achieve my 6.1 surround which I am a little ****** off about as I thought I could run some floorstanders or something like a pair of B&W 602s3's from this amp.

Looks like I will buy some wharfedale 9.1's for the front, Diamond 9cs centre to replace my old diamond 8 and run some diamond 9 dfs which I all found on an Italian website at 127 euro for 9.1's, 108 euro for 9cs centre and 108 for the 9 dfs at the back. Seems you are being really ripped off in the UK for these speakers!

Can someone please let me know if my amp will be able to handle all this? Bought an SW 150 sub by the way which has run in and is really sweet. Its just showing up everything else so I am impatient to change fronts and rears asap.

Last question, are small B&W like the 600S3 that much better as front and surround compared to the Diamond 9.1's. Are they really in a different league? If so I will try to audition them.

10. bumblebee

bumblebee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thanks ronan :) seems the 9.4 didn't live up to 8.3's reputation. oh well, best to find out myself.

11. Ronan1

Ronan1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Dear Eviljohn2

Is this just for stereo or surround sound? I think the Epos's provide a better sound although they're shy some bass compared to the 9.1's. That's only in stereo though as I think the centre (and sub) are really the weak components in the range.

The whole Wharfedale Diamond 9 arrangement that I heard seemed more cohesive overall in a surround context.
    I am talking about a surround situation which means purchasing 2 pairs of either the Wharfedale 9.1's and using my existing Diamond SW150 sub and buying a new Diamond CM centre or buying the Epos (2 pairs) and buying the epos centre. The Epos sub got a rave review, nothing about the centre that I read but I am sure its fine.

Thing is, the Epos cost exactly twice the price here in Budapest compared to the 9.1's. In your opinion, considering future proofing and all that, is it worth the extra for the Epos Els3 X 2 pairs over the wharfedale 9.1's by 2 pairs?

Do you think my Denon 1604 amp would be better suited to the wharfedales rather than the Epos as I hear they are particular about what is driving them. I will test both sets next week and will bring my amp with me to test them but before I make a fool of myself in the high end shop which stocks the Epos here in Budapest, should I wait until I have the cash for a better amp before considering them?

Thanks, Ronan

12. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    I can't really comment on how much power each model needs as they had plenty of amplification available in the situation I heard them. I don't think the Epos speakers are twice as good as the Wharfedales. It really depends what flavour of speaker you want but I strongly suspect you'd be very happy with either model as there isn't much between them. Getting a demo with your amp would be the best possible idea so you can try and judge for yourself what is important within your system. :)

13. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    Like eviljohn2, I heard the Epos speakers at the recent Bristol Hifi show and whilst the conditions there weren't ideal for an in depth evaluation they sounded quite fine even though the music that they were playing wasn't very demanding.

By all means take your amp to the shop for a test session and don't worry about "making a fool of yourself" in the high end shop as many dealers and other so called experts don't know nearly as much as they think they do.

I don't know what your proposed speaker / amp combo will sound like but it will certainly sound better if driven by a better quality amp.

14. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    If the Epos's are twice the price of wharfedale 9.1's, if you can get them where you are, then I would recommend the Quad 11L's, which are £379
    in UK, whereas the wharfedales are £180. The Quad's really are a classy sound & very welll made.

I recently tried demo of:

Monitor Audio B2's (sounded over pronounced in middle frequencies)
    Wharfedale 9.1's (sounded very good. Good tone & balance)
    Quad 11L's (A very big obvious jump in quality from wharfedales)
    Quad 12L's (slightly boomy if they are close to rear wall)

Basically I would have been happy to have the wharfedales, they sounded great on all types of music I tried dance, rock, pop. However, on Norah
    Jones her vocals sounded a bit too "middly", whereas on the Quad 11L's
    they were very open & clean.

T.

15. Ronan1

Ronan1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +78
    Thanks Timbo,

I think that if the sonic benefit is not huge between the Epos, or Quad 11's and 9.1's that I should just save a fortune and buy the Wharfdales. I could not justify spending twice the price on the Quad's or Epos if the sound is not strongly superior especially since I will be buying 2 pairs to use for home cinema use.

I am not planning to use these speakers for music, just movies and thats why the Epos seemed like a good choice as they recently walked away with best surround package in What Hi*Fi sound and vision's group test against monitor audio, dali, wharfedale (with the 9.4 as fronts) and Kef. If I can surround myself with Wharfedale 9.1's fron and back for £110 per pair compared to the Epos at £220 then much and all as I like the idea of the Epos, I can have front and back speakers for the price of fronts if I go the Epos or Quad way.

I am curious as to what you would do if you were in my position?

Thanks for the advice, Ronan

16. Debs67

Debs67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi!
    I have the 9.5's and think they sound great!
    I cannot give you any tech. comments as I really am a novice!
    And I did not audition them against anything else.
    As long as the source is good,I have found them to sound really good in my system.
    I was particularly impressed with the sound of Robbie Williams "Swing when you're winning"! All jazz style songs.It was so clear and full I couldn't get over it! Like Robbie was in the room with me...dream on Debs!! :rolleyes:
    I'm a big hip hop/rap fan too :cool: and that equally sounds deep and full,probably helped by the sub though! ;)
    I think they look cool,I have the Cherry colour!
    Debs :)

17. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Well, I have to say there was a huge extra sonic benefit increasing from the
    Wharfedales to the Quads (probably not what you want to hear) and I felt Wharfedales are good for music, but I found the Quads were amazing with music & although I didn't try any film soundtracks on them I know they will be awesome for film surround. But after saying all this if I had to go with the
    Wharfedales I wouldn't be upset, but if you will be using for films then I think
    the Quads would blow the Wharfedales, and you, away.

I can't afford full surround package of Quad so I will be getting

Quad 11L's front L + R
    Quad L centre
    Wharfedale Diamond 9DFS bipoles for surround rears
    Rel Stampede or MJ acoustics Ref200 subwoofer

The most important speakers to match are L + R fronts & centre. So you could always look at doing something similar like the above where you spend money on the front setup & a bit less on rears of different make & cheaper sub. Later you can always sell the rears & sub & update to Quads or Epos. With Quads you can switch 11 L's to rear & then get 12L's or 21L's for fronts!

Well, in a way, I am in your position. Originally I was just going to get a Denon
    500 all in one system & it then escalated to the above.

I guess it depends on how broke the extra cost will make you. For me I want
    to get a system I will be happy with for the next 15 years or so & I know I will
    be with the Quads & I can easily upgrade system.

18. Timbo21

Timbo21

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +263
    Quad 11L's front L + R
    Quad L centre
    Wharfedale Diamond 9DFS bipoles for surround rears
    Rel Stampede or MJ acoustics Ref200 subwoofer

PS with above system it will cost me about £1400, whereas if I bought whole Quad surround system it would cost just over £1900. Worth considering! :)

T.

19. docb

docb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Ronan

Could you provide a link to the Italian website with the 9.1's at 127 euro please.

I will see if they will ship to UK and the likely cost.

Thanks

Doc

20. bumblebee

bumblebee

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone read the review on the 9.1 together w/ ae evo1, ma b2 and others? is it possible to post some excerpts here?

many thanks.

21. rombi

rombi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I recently aquired the 9.4 and 9.1 modles as part of a package deal, long with the centre speaker. At first i was a bit hesitant as the 9.4 received only 3/5 in a What Hi-Fi group test. While auditioning both in store i could understand exactly where the reviewer was coming from (claiming that the 9.1 on a good stand would leave the 9.4 dead). The salesman reasures me that both had been run in for over a month so my concern about run in is soon seen to. Somehow the 9.4 seems not to project the sound out and at you, but the sound somehow seemes to get lost withing the speaker enclosure. this leaves me puzzled. How could Wharfedale get it so wrong. the 9.1 is singing whereas the9.4 is struggling to breath probaly.

it then dawns on me that these are floorstanders designed for small (smaller) rooms (only on mid/bass driver, as oppose to the 2 on the 9.5 and 9.6).

Well, where is the obvious place to place a floorstander in a small room? Well the corners is where most people would squeeze it in. So to the corners they go and WOW. The once timid 9.4 are transformed. The bass seems to appear form nowhere, suddenly there a soundstage where there there once was almost none. Now after spending what now seems an eternity in forums like these little honeys contradictes everything I thought I had learnd about speaker placement.

It seems that the guys at wharfedale actually got the sums right after all. Floorstander + small room = corner placement = 9.4 = floorstander for small room.

I am now a hugely satisfied and proud owner of both the 9.1 and 9.4. :thumbsup: :thumbsup: