1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epos ELS-3 First Impressions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Jimmysil, Oct 4, 2003.

1. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi all

Having just received my new Epos ELS-3s, I thought I would give my impression so far.

My original speakers where Kef Cresta 2s, which I loved but when combined with my Arcam Alpha 7 cd player and Marantz SR5300 amp, they sounded a little to bassey and warm in the midrange.
    So I wanted speakers that would give me more detail without having to turn up the volume too high.

I saw a couple reviews of the ELS-3s which said great detailed speakers, but lacking a little bass.
    I thought this maybe the perfect speaker.

I have only had my ELS-3s 24 Hours, so they have not even been run in yet.
    But I could tell as soon as I fired them up, that the sound was different from my creatas.
    More detail was present at lower levels, but they still sound great if pushed.

The dead giveaway is listening to Foo Fighters - One by One. A couple of tracks on this album are very bassey and I felt with the crestas that I was not getting the "whole picture". With the EL3s this is improved.

Before my ELS-3s, I was a Kef only man. But now I am a Epos convert.
    I can't wait for Epos to bring out the matching centre speaker.
    Also I think the speakers look great.:D

Regards

Jimmysil

2. Jimmysil

Jimmysil

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Update on the Epos

Although I considered selling my epos for a more bassey speaker, I am pleased I didn't

I am currently using them with a Denon AVC A1D in direct mode with a Rega Planet.

My music sound is the best I have every had. The Epos are so fast that anything the rega can fire at them they can cope with.

I have listened to a lot of my cds again since get the Rega planet and I must say I am very impress with the combined performance of the Rega, Denon and the Epos.

Some tracks sound so much detailed than my old setup.
    Every time a play a cd for the first time on my new setup, I can't stop smiling.

So if you looking for a good pair of Sub £200 speakers give the Epos a go.