Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Episodes 7, 8, 9 ?

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by AML, Aug 2, 2004.

1. AML

AML

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +228
    Does anyone know if these movies will ever happen?
    And if so, will they follow whats already been written in the books and comics?

2. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Luca$ has already stated he won't make any further Star Wars films after E3.

I wouldnt hold my breath, but who knows....

3. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Yes heard about this for years. Tell me AML where does the story go after Jedi? You seem to know a bit about it.

Simon

4. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    COSAW, I recommend you pick up the graphic novels of Heir to the Empire and Dark Force Rising for starters. Also check out www.theforce.net it has plenty of archive materials in the books section.

Oh and dont forget starwars.com

5. cosaw

cosaw

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thanks for those links, I'll check them out!

6. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    You're very welcome :)

Also try

http://www.jedicouncil.net

theforce.net's forums, flooded with information about the Luca$ universe and the Expanded universe. Also some great spoilers on E3 if you want.

7. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    The most highly regarded follow-on to Return of the Jedi is Timothy Zahn's Trilogy of novels "Heir to the Empire", "Dark Force Rising" and "The Last Command". They were also translated into comics/graphic novels later on.

I think a lot of fans wouldn't mind seeing that trilogy made into Episodes 7,8 & 9.

There is another follow-up known as The Dark Empire (also Dark Empire 2 and Empire's End), a series of comics which carry the story on. They don't have as good a story as the Zahn trilogy, essentially just reformatting the storylines from IV, V & VI and probably wouldn't make very good films if adapted.

There was a rumour flying around at one point that while Lucas didn't have an interest in making more films, he would allow others to do so.

8. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    Give em to Peter Jackson if thats the case. Bryan Singer would be nice, if he stuck with it for more than 2 films that is. X3's gonna suck without him :(

9. dsw182

dsw182

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    Episode VII - Peter Jackson
    Episode VIII - Ridley Scott
    Episode IX - Steven Spielberg

10. ReTrO

ReTrO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +59
    Crimson Empire and Crimson Empire II make good reading too. Managed to pick them up from Daves Comics in Brighton last year.

11. DynamiteD

DynamiteD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Will never happen.

There is talk of TV series though, in 2005.

12. roversd1

roversd1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Star Wars: Episode one - 'Crossroads in Space''

Enter 'Benny' - dippy space mechanic wearing bobble hat.

'ships readoiy , Mrs Lindaa...''

A Sith lord enters Crossroads Space Motel - he sweeps in glaring at people -

''oh my gawd, luv a duck, its the VAT inspector!''

''Ock eye, Nor!''

The Sith Lord is distpatched by the dodgy Scottish Chef who played 'Ives' in The Great Escape'....

Roll credits.

Coming soon, Starwars Epsisode two- Attack of the Loansharks

13. Setenza

Setenza

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +226
    Shughie McFee :eek:

14. Miniholic

Miniholic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +398
    A mate was telling me last night that ILM staff have had to sign confidentiality agreements about work on episodes 7, 8 & 9. Think he saw it on digital spy, but I'm not too sure if there is any truth to the rumours though. :(

Anyone else think this could all end up a bit police academy?

15. neilo

neilo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +21
    Rumours have started that George Lucas is considering filming another three films in the blockbusting series to pick up the story where Return of the Jedi left it over twenty years ago.

Speculation began when fansite Theforce.Net received a post claiming that employees of Industrial Light And Magic, Lucas' special effects company, have signed non-disclosure agreements preventing them from discussing the possibility of more sequels being filmed. If at least the beginnings of such plans do not exist, then it begs the question why the company's workers would be hushed.

Lucasfilm recently denied plans to film more films in the Star Wars franchise, and George Lucas himself has always denied such plans. Perhaps the agreements allegedly signed by the effects company see the beginning of a change of policy.

16. Squiffy

Squiffy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,136
    Yes, he might not make them, but that isn't to say they will never be made.

There are loads of novels following on from ROTJ. Without giving away any spoilers, you just need to realise that after ROTJ the empire still exists, with Moffs each in charge of their own sector. There is still a whole lot of fighting left to do....

The Thrawn Trilogy are about the best to read, but I also very much enjoyed the X-Wing books with Corran Horn being one of my fave characters.

I'm not quite so sure about the latest series of New Jedi Order books with the Yuuzhan Vong though... Although I will be buying the last book in the series to take away on holiday with me on Saturday.

17. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    He also said that Steven Spielberg suggested he use Harrison Ford for Indiana Jones. (Making of Raiders laserdisc)

He also said that he always wanted Harrison Ford for Indiana Jones. (Making of Raiders dvd)

18. Fordy

Fordy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I know, lets all prove me wrong today.

Just to point out, he as also gone into great detail as to why he wont make anymore episodes. Here are 2 reasons

1 I'll be like 70 when i finish if i do make them, I dont want to spend antoher 10 years of my life making star wars.

2 Its really a 6 part story that ends with rotj, you will understand that after e3 is finished.

or words to that effect. God knows I want more star wars films, I dont care if he doesnt actually make them himself, Im sure they could be made much quicker than he could given the right director and producer.

19. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    Lucas has never had much interest in making the stars wars series quickly, it makes him more money staging releases over a longer period, and if somebody else took over the directors role (while Lucas is alive I don't see him not producing it) then the same schedule would be stuck to.

I also doubt Lucas's ego could take a decent director doing 7-9, it would be to easy for even a half way decent director to do a better job than Lucas - he'd probably get Paul Anderson in.

20. DynamiteD

DynamiteD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    he'd probably get Paul Anderson in.

Ha ha. Lucas likes a 'yes' man.

21. Terrell

Terrell

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Folks, this rumor has been officially debunked by Lucas, McCallum, Sansweet, Jim Ward, and an official ILM spokeswoman. ILM did not sign any NDAs pertaining to new Star Wars films. This rumor got started at TF.N, which is wrong so often, it's not even funny.

McCallum and Sansweet both stated at Comic-Con, that there would absolutely be no more Star Wars films. There will be other stuff, perhaps even on TV. But Episode III is the last Star Wars films. Lucas also reaffirmed publically at the VES Awards that there was no chance he'd make anymore Star Wars films. Episode III finishes the story he wanted to tell, and he wants to move onto other projects. That and he doesn't want to spend another 10 years of his life on Star Wars.

You can't get any clearer than that. I know some people will cling to every rumor and grasp at every straw, in the hopes that there's another SW film. But it's not going to happen.

That has nothing to do with making more Star Wars movies, and it certainly doesn't dispel the notion that Lucas wants nothing to do with another SW trilogy.

22. BrianC

BrianC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +101
    But if there was really NDAs in place, then surely they would deny that they were in place :devil:

23. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    It just means that whatever he says one day, he'll deny the next.

24. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Someone mentioned Spielberg and Star Wars in the same sentence. Noooooooooo.
    He already made Pinnochio meets ET. We certainly don't need "Ewoks In Space".

25. Gary D

Gary D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +838
    we do if they haven't got helmets on :D

Gary

26. Tomaso

Tomaso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ofcourse there'll be SW ep.7,8 & 9..
    If GL lives long enough that is..
    Why?
    One word: MONEY.

27. Peter Parker

Peter Parker
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,721
    I think if Lucas was really that money oriented, he would have released SW on DVD a few years ago, just by putting the existing '97 SEs onto disk, and make a load of dosh. He would then re-release the current version we have now, and make even more dosh. If the original negatives were available, he may even have put that onto DVD first, then the '97 SEs, then the current DVDs.

He didn't though, he did what he said he'd do some years ago - he'd release them in 2004/2005 and not before, as he and the SW resources were concetrating on the pre-qual trilogy.

If there will be a SW 7, 8 and 9, I doubt Lucas will direct them, but he might have an input on the story (IMHO).

Gary.

28. Tomaso

Tomaso

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    too many releases would kinda weaken the hype..
    GL knows this to be true.

29. figrin_dan

figrin_dan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +155
    I think he's more likely to change the episode numbers again and add in more stories at the start and between episodes.

30. Mole69

Mole69

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think some things are best left alone. Although I am a big fan and have great interest in ILM's work, I really don't agree with the tinkering that has gone on with the Star Wars movies since the Special Editions, and I think the whole thing should be left alone after the release of Episode III. It will end up losing it's momentum and becoming a series thing like Star Trek (no disrespect to Star Trek or its' fans). I was never entirely sold on the idea of the prequels in the first place. Maybe I'm getting old. But, let's face it, Star Wars is a cash cow of gargantuen proportions, and will run and run. Wish I'd thought of it.