Episode's 4,5,6 on DVD...Never!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by bowenjones, Feb 8, 2003.

1. bowenjones

bowenjones

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +443
    Here's a bit of news from Harry Knowles about
    the original star wars films on dvd...

Friday, February 7, 2003
    Lucas declares that the Original Star Wars Trilogy will NEVER be released in DVD as Originally Seen in theaters!!!
    Harry here... All I have to say is **** This, **** Lucas and **** These DVDs! Sigh... Ok, so I do have more to say. Gone for all time will be the original work of John Dykstra and his innovative motion control work in the original Star Wars. Gone will be the original beauty of the Death Star explosion. Gone will be the original rhythm of the Cantina scene and the exchange between Solo and Greedo. Future generations will never know the wondrous model work, we'll never have preserved the initial miracles that the wizards at ILM created. Those original editions, those mistakes, they're glorious. They are the original footprints that led special effects out of darker times. All that artistry is lost on George Lucas. It was all errors, mistakes... the efforts of the original founders of ILM, the men and women that carved the imaginations of generations... All of that means nothing to him. That work isn't timeless to George Lucas. His complete and utter disregard for his own history, the work that EARNED THAT SPECIAL OSCAR... It all means nothing to him. That work, what possible harm is there in giving us that extra disc, making us pay for it. WE CARE! WE WANT IT! And I will never buy a DVD that doesn't have it. I suggest you do the same.
    Hey Harry,

Just got back from the opening night of the ILM/Skywalker Sound tribute at the American Cinematheque @ the Egyptian Theatre. While it was real cool seeing Lucas in person, there really wasn't a whole lot discussed that would be enlightening to most fans. Much of the Q&A revolved around topics that we have seen or heard in the many commentaries or interviews from the last twenty years. Still, it was pretty damn awesome seeing the man, albeit he's kinda of short in person.

Anyway, about the only major piece of info to come from this night may upset the purists. THERE WILL BE NO ORIGINAL VERSIONS ON DVD!!! Lucas flat out said that we won't see the originals on DVD and I'm guessing any format other than those it already exists, ie laserdisc and video. I have both the originals and specials on laserdisc. Of course, you could get bootlegs but that isn't legal, unless the Emperor makes it legal. This news was met with very little snickering or hissing. Lucas feels the originals weren't complete so the special editions are the versions he intended to make 20 years ago.

That's about it, until next time.

The Film Maven

Well, that's it! The fat b***ard will not be getting another
    penny from me unless he changes his mind!
    Does he honestly beleive that his last two efforts were
    better than the originals because the effects were better???
    The man has lost the plot!
    Mad I say, MAD! :nono:

2. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    All the more reason to buy them on bootleg DVD

3. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Year, saw this on Fox News, too. Lucas also said "that the Sp-Edits were gospel."

So is he gonna change them anymore? I thought he had shot scenes to be inserted into Episode 4. And anyway, most of the effects shots in the Sp-Edits look quite dated now!

I thinks Lucas talks such horse [email protected] I've heard him say different stories, like the one about Jabba the Hutt, in Episode 4.

He says. "We used an actor for a stand-in, for Jabba, and we were gonna replace him with a puppet." Hmmm!!! So why bother putting him in full costume then, George?

Does he think we're stupid? Maybe Yanks are that gullible, but I don't think we are.

The flabby necked one, is mad!!!

4. petrolhead

petrolhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    All the same a shame :(

5. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In case the puppet didn't work, but the scene had to be kept in for plot/character reasons.
    Believe what you will...:smoke:

6. John-D

John-D

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm! So why have Han walk around him, if he has a tail. And why did Han say "Jabba, you're such a human being."

This was because Jabba was originally a large Irish chap! :confused:

7. EvilMudge

EvilMudge

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :devil:

8. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    Jabba was always a human.

In the comics of the time Jabba was a human too.

Lucas pretends all the time like he originally meant the series to start at 4.

liar.

9. paulefox

paulefox

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    anyone know where I can get dvds of the first films , I know they are not available in UK or US but I have seen loads on ebay and asume you can get them from somewhere

10. h0l1yw0od

h0l1yw0od

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Any Star Wars DVD's that aren't The Phantom Menace or Attack Of The Clones are bootlegs/pirates and shouldn't be touched.

Take a look at the Home Theater Forum's Star Wars Petition Thread and sign the form when its up and running.

11. juboy

juboy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    BBC teletext is saying that Episodes I, II and III will come out on DVD but that they will be special edition versions of the special editions of the originals :eek: :nono:

12. Bam

Bam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    U will be....UUU will be:smoke:

13. Apocalypse

Apocalypse
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    This is from HCC news section

Watch this space I guess (pun intended :) )

Phil

14. the.jackass

the.jackass

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    screw lucas and screw Episode3, Episode 3 will be **** and it will be nothing but a special effects show with pathetic acting.

[comment removed by moderator, pleas asterix over alll swear words, and dont post comments like that, may I suggest you read The Rules - Shoka]

15. Shoka

Shoka

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +238
    The Jackass - Please read my comment above.

16. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,466
    We have specific rules re talk and promotion of piracy.
    However, if Lucas won't release the original trilogy on DVD in their original form, then there is no choice than to buy pirate copies, is there?
    Well there are no good sources for the ORIGINAL version since the restoration of the original was then made into the SE versions (with the TERRIBLE Greedo shooting first bit) and released onto VHS and Laserdisc.
    So purists wanting the original versions won't want to talk about pirate copies on DVD since they won't be better quality than the VHS versions they no doubt already own.
    If you want the SE versions on DVD then the best source is a 5.1 copy from the NTSC Laserdisc. These won't be as good quality as normal DVDs, of course, but better than VHS and in 5.1.
    However, they are not the original versions and so why not wait for whatever comes in top quality DVD when George eventually releases them?
    I was given the original trilogy on DVD ages ago and the copies I have are terrible.
    I also have the SE version on Laserdisc and look ok through my HCPC. I still HATE the Greedo scene. But the other scenes are good IMO. Specially the changes to the space dog fights.

I do understand Lucases point of view in wanting to make the story so that you can view it in chronological order and not be sideswiped by the less special effects you'd be presented with in Episode 4 after the (inevitably cutting edge) special effects packed Episode 3.
    But I do think he should release a restored but unaltered version of the original trilogy for the purists and as an homage to the films and the fans. The films were great in their original form. Not facile, over used, can't think of a better adjective great, but like 'Alexander the' GREAT. The fans deserve it.

Sign the petition. I think Lucas DOES listen. After all, where was Jar Jar in Episode II?

17. dfh28

dfh28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Just got them recently for £35 from ebid, and i have seen people paying over £60 for them on ebay.

They are from laser disc, picture quality is ok in the main to poor in parts but no where near dvd quality, but the biggest disapointment was they where marketed as 5 star enhanced widescreen but they only fill about half my plasma screen with a large border about double the size of a normal border at the top and bottom which means they aint very watchable.

The copies i had previously recorded of Sky on my philips dvd recorder are much better quality and when listened to in pro logic 2 are more preferable than the supposed 5.1 on the laser disc versions.

Only really worth getting for the novelty value of having these in your collection.

18. dfh28

dfh28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  19. Darth_Fisto

Darth_Fisto

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +22
    I have to say that I also have the "5 Star Collection" and I'm VERY happy with them. I don't know what you mean about the border - its no bigger than an anamorphic DVD, but on the downside it loses quality opening up. The 5.1 sound on A New Hope and Return of the Jedi is brilliant, but The Empire Strikes Back is quite poor, but the surround track is really strong. The DTS track is a waste of space.

20. TheBigApple

TheBigApple

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    The discs are not anamorphic so you will need to choose the zoom option on your plasma.

21. Allos

Allos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    zoom = blurry picture ;)

any official release info?

22. kev_melon

kev_melon
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2005/6 as far as I know, but only the Special Edition versions. Mr Lucas has (sadly/wrongly, take your pick) decided to deny us the right to buy the original versions. Sob, sniff :confused:

And yeah, the DTS track on the 5 star editions is a waste of space. But the DD 5.1 track doesn't fare much better. It sounds as if the Dolby Surround track has been passed off as Dolby Digital.

AND the picture isn't anamorphic, but what do you expect from bootlegs?

23. Allos

Allos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    2005/6!?! Kick his bloody ****

I went to theatre to see Episode 1, and bought the DVD. I was excited to see Episode 1 and clapped when the opening theme played. And I yawned while watching...

I did not go the cinema for Episode 2. Thought that I should save the money and just buy the DVD. I slept the first time I watched it.

Lucas has clearly gone out of his mind. He just stays in his own world. The story is slow/ boring/ too centered on one character. And the castings, IMHO, were bad. Well, maybe not the casting but the "ACTING". Everyone was like "reading" out their part without any emotion. What a waste.

Heck, I would still buy Episode 3 DVD. I just have a feeling that Lucas will then release Special Robbery Edition of complete DVDs (from Episode 1 to 6) with new special effects/ unseen footage and I would go and buy as soon as they are available.

I am hopeless :p

24. KRRK

KRRK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lucas says and has said things all the time that turned out to be rubbsih. I remember an interview in 1980 when he boldy stated that Empire Strikes Back would never be seen on TV anywhere in the world.
    And, when Phantom Menace came out, he was saying it would never come out on video as he wanted it just to be on DVD.

My guess is that a few years down the road, he, or someone else (he is not immortal) will stick the originals out, warts and all. There is money to be made, after all.

Until then, its the marketstalls, though.

25. dfh28

dfh28

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The reason for my posting was mainly about the "Enhanched widescreen" marketing on the packaging, even on zoom there is a border at the top and bottom that i have not seen on any other dvd.

Whats enhanched about that.

26. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Which version of the Laserdiscs are you referring to NTSC/PAL, originals, SE? DTS:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: ???

DTS Star Wars laserdiscs - there's an oxymoron.

As far as the widescreen issue is concerned, 16:9 is a compromise ratio between standard 4:3 ration TV sets and 2.35:1.

Do you want 100% of the picture and black bars or less than the full picture and fill out your 16:9 set?

http://www.widescreen.org/widescreen.shtml

See the following example for TESB:

http://www.geocities.com/Hollywood/Hills/6781/EmpireCompare.html

:D

27. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Fantastic, my LD collections (yes plural) will go up in value (subject to laser rot not arising!):nono:

28. Mattk

Mattk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The original theatrical version of the films is available in a lovely black box containing 9 laserdiscs, a hard back book and a booklet telling you all about the films! It has so many extras like photos and behind the scenes, interviews etc.

One very good reason to go buy a laserdisc player :)

29. narabdela

narabdela

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5
    :clap: :hiya: :clap:

Couldn't agree more.

30. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,060
    I am seriously contemplating an LD player again. used to own both ntsc boxes and a Pioneer 925, but stupidly sold them a number of years ago. How thick do i look now:laugh: ;)