1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Episode Spanning DVDs

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Azrikam, Jul 25, 2002.

1. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing that has annoyed me about buying series of TV shows on DVD is that few of them allow you to watch the whole series, uninterrupted.

My South Park DVD set, for instance, plays through each episode until it reaches the end. Family Guy, however, jumps back to the main menu after each episode.

Does this bother anybody else, or am I just nitpicking? Sure, it only takes a few clicks to jump back into the next episode, but I'd much rather if I could start up the DVD, and not have to mess with it until the series is finished. (or, I have to swap discs) Any idea why companies do this?

2. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree it is very annoying:mad:

As you say, how hard can it be to add a "watch all" option:confused:

3. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Annoys me too. "Coupling" has a "play all" option in the menu and also whatever episode you start watching it from, it will continue to the end! My "Men Behaving Badly" DVDs force me to watch one episode at a time, after which I'm returned to the menu. :mad:

It also annoys me when they don't put a chapter stop just after the opening credits. :mad: I like to just skip straight to the episode.

4. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    There's a lot of minor stuff like this that annoys me; like DVDs that don't allow you to change the audio track in mid-movie. :mad:

Considering that programming a DVD menu system is probably dead easy, a lot of companies still seem lazy when putting together their front-end. I still get a kick out of seeing "interactive menu" as an item in the Feature List of a DVD. Oooh, it has a menu? That's a must-buy! :)

5. Serpico

Serpico

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Yep. Does my head in too, especially when I'm engaging in a Buffyathon. But my biggest gripe is having to sit through copyright notices in 8 languages at the start without even being able to fast forward. Grrrrrrrr :mad:

6. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Can't you just hit the Audio Track button on your remote? :confused:

7. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I never realised it was the DVD, I thought it was the player.

Its just that I have only experienced not being able to change the soundtrack, since I changed players.

Silly me:blush:

8. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I could be wrong (I'll check when I get home), but I'm pretty sure I've got some DVDs that allow me to switch from audio commentary to regular audio track via the audio button, and others that can only be set from the main menu.

It was the same with my old DVD player, but maybe not all of them.

9. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    It´s down to the disc, not the player, when it comes to being able to switch Audio tracks. Some you can, some you can´t.

10. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Jase knows everything, he is my hero:D

11. Jase

Jase

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +932
    :blush: :D

12. Nike Swish

Nike Swish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I can honestly say that it does not bother me at all! Sorry! :blush: :D :devil:

13. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm not aware of any disks that I own that I can't switch the audio track for mid-film using the remote on my Sony DVP NS300. :confused:

If you can see one in my "owned DVDs" (link below) that this applies to, please let me know so I can test it out. I'm curious now :)

14. Azrikam

Azrikam

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, I was ready to come back and admit my mistake (before I saw Jase's post), because after I tested my current batch of DVDs, they all allowed me to turn the audio commentary on/off in mid-movie.

I was positive that I had older DVDs (back in Canada) that didn't list the audio commentary as an audio track. So, the only way to turn it on/off was through the main menu.

Course, I can't prove it now, but I still think some DVDs work like that.

15. Whatts

Whatts

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On some discs you just can't change the audio while playing the movie, no matter what brand/model player you've got.
    One example is my European R2 'the fast & the furious'.
    This has an English and a Russian audio track and for some reason always selects Russian as the default track unless you've specifically selected English in the audio-setup menu...

I've even had a few discs where I couldn't change the subtitles while playing (the R2s on sale over here in Belgium often have 10 or more different subtitle-languages).

About the original question, on some discs it really annoys me (Buffy is a good example indeed because of the copyright notices), others less so because you are swiftly returned to the menu and can quickly select the next episode...
    But they really should add a continuous play option, it can't be that hard, can it?

- Tom -

16. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The HCPC boys can skip warnings and copyright notices so surely something could be done when a player is being multi-region modded?!

Coming back to the menu between episodes also annoys the hell out of me. And yes a few of my more recent disc purchases won't allow soundtrack changes during playback... I check and post an example or two.

17. Squirrel God

Squirrel God

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Dear all,

I have found out why I haven't had a single problem switching audio tracks on any disk. The above quote from James above suddenly triggered something in my mind.

The reason is that my Techtronics multiregion mod for my Sony player also removes all user prohibitions. My info sheet that Techtronics bundled with my player says:

:D:D

I knew it enabled me to skip through the FBI warnings but I never realised it also turned off all the other user prohibitions as well :)

This is also the reason why I have been able to access subtitle tracks that don't even exist in the menus :eek: :)

18. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    you lucky swine!:D