1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Episode II at the best Quality!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Xeonic, May 16, 2002.

1. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    According to the US forums, there are a several "theatres" that are screening the film in a completely digital form. It's stored on digital media and projected via commerical DLP devices (hopeful, sans rainbow :D )

Basically does anyone know if any UK "cinemas" are following this, if so which ones, especially in the Midlands? I'd like to see this, with THX sound and that kind of pic quality !

2. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,215
    UGC Solihull has THX no idea about digital projection

3. baileych

baileych
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    According to Anthony Daniels (in person!), we were seeing it 'completely digital' at the Odeon Leceister Square this morning :D. I don't know if this means what you say, but he seemed to imply that AOTC was a first in this respect.

Charles.

4. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright
    AVForums Founder Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,415
    The Odeon Leicester Square is one of the few cinemas with a DLP projector in there. It will look considerably better than from a 'public' print through a typical projector.

5. david plunkett

david plunkett
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I seen it today at the uci in north shields(even though i am pretty sure its not really in north shields). and the screen split for about 5 mins so the heads were at the bottom of the screen

6. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,415
    Money back if that happens.

7. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers guys

It looks like a trip to London then, unless I can find one more local. I've got about 60+ screens (at the last count) in about a 10 mile radius - quantity, not quality :rolleyes:

STOP PRESS :blush:

After a bit of digging around, I found this link : http://www.dlp.com/dlp/cinema/movies.asp

So it looks like a trip to star city then! Oh yeah, notice something?? 3 screens in UK , about 20 times that amount in US !!!

8. Phil Hinton

Phil Hinton
    Editor Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,984
    Screen one at Star City Warner Village is a dlp presentation with SDDS sound and is a THX screen.

Enjoy!!

9. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Err, but isn't the US also more than 20 times bigger than the UK?

And I'm no expert, but I think their population might be a bit bigger.

get real.

their bound to have more.

10. andyk

andyk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +165
    Does anyone know of a site reviewing screen size, auditorium quality, sound quality at various cinemas (not just DLP ones).

The last two times that I went to the cinema (LOTR in Harrogate and York) were both unsatisfactory (marks all over the image in one and an exit light giving a green colour to any dark scenes in the other).

I want to get the best I can for AOTC in the area.

11. stalefish

stalefish

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Brixton Ritzy and Odeon Leicester Sq (Obviously) are both DLP.
    Apparantly the print is sent digitally to the Cinema ??
    Don't know if this is correct.
    To try and stave off pre-screening piracy etc

12. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Cheers T, This sounds like the biz! I'll definitely give this a go and let you know about the pic and sound quality

13. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,415
    I'm going to swap my Thursday next tickets at Rubery for some credit and we're going to Star City instead. It's a bit further but no big deal.

14. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Guys

If you see the movie in a DLP format then it will not be in SDDS, DTS or DOLBY soundtracks and will be uncompressed PCM.

Mahmood

15. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +128
    I watched Attack of the Clones at The Warner Village near Chester. It was in screen 15 which is THX, Its the best I have heard Dolby Digital, but the picture quality could have been better, a bit to fuzzy for my likeing, but the print quality was much better than SwTPM.

16. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Mahmood,

Why is this? Unless there's a technical reason with cinema presentation for this, I would think any sound format could go with any picture quality. Especially if the "print" is supplied on electronic media, you would want to go with a DD5.1 sound track, not the mountains of disk needed for 2 3/4 hrs of uncompressed PCM :blush:

17. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Before booking my Tickets for ATOTC I spoke with the projectionist at Odeon Leicester Sq and he told me that it would be shown on DLP with THX, I mean come we all know how picky George is do you think he would be watching it on PCM...
    After all that they were sold out.
    Did see it in DTS at Marble Arch which is what I wanted being a DTS junkie and the screen is amazing. I'm going to Odeon Liecester Sq next week

Odeon Marble Arch
    Screen 1 DTS
    Screen 5 SDDS

Odeon Liecester Sq (THX Cert)
    Screen 1 DLP THX Sound

Samir
    All we need now is DTS ES on the DVD:)

18. Xeonic

Xeonic

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well I actually got to see EP2 today, and it was well worth it too. I won't try to review the film itself, since that has been done quite well in other threads. The most interesting thing for me is it that, as Mr Lucas said himself(!) EP2 makes the phantom menace a much better film.

Personally I was one of the few people who thought EP1 was a good film anyway, just less "serious" than the original trilogy. I watched EP1 on dvd again and realised that a lot of the "inconsistences" now make sense. This bodes well for EP3, which should tie all the loose ends together and link nicely to those originals.

As for the film presentation - very very good! Screen 1 Star City is THX (thanks THX! :D ) and the display was definitely Digital Media to DLP - well the pre-film on screen logos said that anyway! (Hey do we still call these things "film" now :) )? The difference in picture quality between the ads and the start of the presentation was stunning - as well as watching the film I tried to take a good look at the picture during difficult sequences, and was impressed by the lack of artifacts, the colour sharpness and general uniformity of the image on all areas of the screen. It's a good film for "dark space/bright daylight" scenes next to each other, and these transistions were handled very well.

Downside? Well the technology is obviously a bit expensive, but 4 screens in the whole of the UK is a bit poor. And there were a couple of fast moving scenes where i noticed "motion pan judder", this should disappear as the technology gets better. I think those features which have colourful animations or lots of breathtaking landscapes (real, not CGI!) would definitely benefit from the clean display. Obviously it will never make a badly written film seem better!

19. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Seen it at Leicester Square last weekend and at my local UCG (Harlow), on Thursday.

The DLP at Leicester Square was way superior to the regular projection. Also he sound appeared to be very badly balanced at the UCG, with the surrounds hardly in evidence at all.

Going back to Leicester Square this afternoon with a friend :D

20. Stuart Wright

Stuart Wright

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,415
    Saw Episode II at screen 1 Star City yesterday. I was disappointed. The brightness of the picture kept flickering. Brother-in-law and ex-projectionist Gary who came with me reckons that the lamp was on the way out. It was distracting and spoilt the experience for both of us.
    In addition the contrast level was only ok. Not spectacular. Just as with a traditional print, blacks were actually dark grey.
    Yes of course the picture was solid, sharp and totally dirt free - just like I get from my HCPC and CRT. If I hadn't already been used to a stunning picture from my system I would have been blown away.
    They also didn't open the curtains fully until the first big explosion.
    The sound was good except the centre speaker sounded too quiet. Dialogue was sometimes unitelligable and sound effects which should have been coming from the centre channel (e.g. blaster shots in the big battle) were inaudible in amongst the rest of the channels.
    I could also occasionally see some jagglies.
    So overall, it was better than the traditional print screening at Rubery's THX screens, but I'm afraid aside from the sheer size, it wasn't better than my setup in terms of picture and sound quality. My system has a better contrast ration but then I have the advantage of being able to get my room pitch black and I'm not bound by law to have green exit signs lighting up the room.
    If the picture hadn't been flickering, it would have beaten my system for picture hands down simply because of the much higher resolution.

21. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

22. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    Army Bloke, the MRs and I came to that exact same conclusion. It is well worth the exrta money over our locals.

23. Samir

Samir

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi Army Bloke

I know that THX is not a sound format but THX surround EX is and this is what i meant in my post.

24. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'll let you off;) :p :p :D