epic games say windows users are limited to 2 gb which makes it a poor gaming machine

Dave2

Prominent Member
Reaction score
was just reading an article from a guy at epic games which states the ps4 is a perfect gaming pc because windows is limited to 2gb because not many users have 64 bit OS.

Im a bit confused here !> since vista 64bit os started off normal users then win 7 which basically increased the users of 64 bit and now win 8.

But whats more strange is we only use 2gb for gaming ? I thought our graphics card used memory too ?

I don't want to turn this page to a pc v console debate but to me epic is just trying to promote console gaming by bringing down pc gaming so they can make loads of money.

Here is the original article . PS4 like "a perfect gaming PC", says Unreal Engine 4's Epic Games - Gaming News - Digital Spy

Don't get me wrong I love playing games on console and always will but they can never over power a proper pc gaming rig.

An individual process is only allowed 2GB of virtual address space by Windows but applications can be made large address aware. With a 32-bit program this allows it to use 3GB on an x86 OS or 4GB on an x64 OS. If it's a 64-bit program then making it large address aware will allow it to address 8TB of memory but a 64-bit program can't run on a 32-bit OS.

The article clarifies that the majority of computers out there use a 32-bit OS. Consoles do not have this problem as all of them use the same spec.

Alternative method we use is to spawn surrogate processes to do specific tasks (database indexing operations in our case), each of which can then use a further 2GB memory space even on a 32bit OS without use of PAE or similar techniques.

Seems odd as any normal or proper PC gamer isnt going to have a older pc with a 32bit OS. Even my netbook came with 64bit.
perhaps comes from the million who only have bejeweled 3 on steam.

Quite - anyone who is likely to be running the kind of games that might want more than 2Gb to itself are likely to be running a 64-bit OS.

Steam Hardware & Software Survey

Always the same tripe. 64bit OS's make up over 70% of the gaming PC population.

The fact is that developers/publishers are too lazy to write games with true 64bit architecture, it costs more money and requires more know how.

I doubt you will see many games being written for the PS3 that will address the full 8GB for a long time. Besides they will likely split it up between the CPU and the GPU, which is akin to what we see in PC Games.

If games developers really thought there was a business advantage to increased memory addressing and 64bit engines in their games, we would already be seeing them. Most of them just see increased costs for minimal gains. Epic and Mark Rein are always making up stupid stories about consoles and PCs depending on which story suits their business at the time.

Epic and Mark Rein are always making up stupid stories about consoles and PCs depending on which story suits their business at the time.

QFT.

Its console silly season and as Epic are moving from a publisher/developer to more of an engine only provider they are pushing the hype button. Console games sales probably account for a significantly higher number of sales than PC's do, so Epic are fanning the flames. Its only going to get worse.......

Consoles are so much better than PC's.

Dirty PC race.

This doesn't come as a shock. PC gaming is a very real threat to the validity of new gen consoles. We will see a massive increase of propaganda over the next few months talking about how amazing the new consoles will be at the detriment to PC's.

In reality it's akin to North Korea threatening to launch a missile. Yeah it may hit Japan, but "We'd" fire back with missiles from further away and doing more damage. It's just that our missile may have a slightly different FPS for each person.

Epic and Mark Rein are always making up stupid stories about consoles and PCs depending on which story suits their business at the time.

This

They are notorious for talking crap. If the developers wanted to address all the memory they could. I would put money on those that have a machine capable of running a game that uses all that memory and everything that would go with it are running 64bit.

One word:
******s.

You can decipher what the asterisks mean.

Seriously, the PS4 IS a PC. The only difference being that it will be worthwhile for developers to pour the extra time and money into it, since console gaming is more lucrative.

One word:
******s.

Seriously, the PS4 IS a PC. The only difference being that it will be worthwhile for developers to pour the extra time and money into it, since console gaming is more lucrative.

And the cost will be ridiculous compared to the equivalent of a similar spec PC

One word:
******s.

I'm having a hard time deciphering your code, and first I thought it was *******t but then I realized my error.

bullpap aside, I actually think the fact that the ps4 and xbox3 are essentially pcs is going to be great news for pc gamers. Should make converting games between the 3 platforms a doddle (and then if you count the probable steam console as a 4th platform)

Will be so nice to have DX11 embedded into the core of the game rather than tacked on as some (poorly performing) afterthought.

Of course long term wise a pc is going to outperform a console, given the next gen consoles are going to be expected to last 8 years or more, and are going to launch with mid range pc specs.........

I do think however for a few years at least they will punch above their weight - as consoles always do - and will hold their own.... my concern is at what cost however....... RRP of console games is rumoured to be on the up again, why pay £50 for a game when you can pick up the game for half that on pc?.
As for Epics comments......... meh!

It's already been confirmed that games will be more expensive, or at least the RRP will be higher.

It will be interesting to see if the market can stomache this increased cost. It's not surprise that launch titles do very well, when that seems to be when they are at their most cheapest for a period of time.

Do we think that Sony are going to be happy about DirectX though?

I still don't think we'll get the better game, PC has near enough always been the 3rd leg and I can't see that changing anytime soon unfortunately.

I still don't think we'll get the better game, PC has near enough always been the 3rd leg and I can't see that changing anytime soon unfortunately.

We'll probably get a better game than we do currently, because the lowest common denominator on hardware is so much higher than a 360 or PS3. Right now, while we get fancy big texture files, high resolutions and often a few clever shader effects the fundamental game logic has to be something the 360 processor can handle.

Also, with both consoles running an x64 architecture closer to the PC's we won't be subject to porting nastiness to anything like the same degree; the bottlenecks are in largely the same places.

So while I suspect the PC market is going to be a bit shocked when new games are hasty ports from such vastly more powerful boxes - I'm running a 4-year-old CPU well enough because it's still more recent than the chips in 360 or PS3 - these new machines undoubtedly mean we'll see improvements in what PC ports try to achieve.

The 2GB was a reference to graphics memory not RAM

Even though the gpu will have access to 8gb which is shared with the CPU, the gpu won't be powerful enough to utilise all that ram. If a Titan cannot make use of 6gb of VRAM unless it is run in sli what chance does 7850 have? It will be interesting to see what ratio the CPU and gpu use and what is left over. I personally think its going to take years before devs start using most of that ram.

Lets not forget that Sony and the PS3 was not easy to develop for, whats to say the PS4 is going to be much easier. I read a digital foundry preview that shows the UE4 build on PS4 to be inferior to the PC build. Granted its still early doors for the PS4 version but you can see the frames dropping in certain scenes so perhaps Epic has released this statement to counter that.

Unreal Engine 4 Demo: PlayStation 4 vs. PC • Articles • Eurogamer.net

tonyk79 said:
Lets not forget that Sony and the PS3 was not easy to develop for, whats to say the PS4 is going to be much easier. I read a digital foundry preview that shows the UE4 build on PS4 to be inferior to the PC build. Granted its still early doors for the PS4 version but you can see the frames dropping in certain scenes so perhaps Epic has released this statement to counter that.

Unreal Engine 4 Demo: PlayStation 4 vs. PC • Articles • Eurogamer.net

Both Sony and the developers have said its going to be much easier to programme for.

Quite - anyone who is likely to be running the kind of games that might want more than 2Gb to itself are likely to be running a 64-bit OS.

But not everyone, that's their point.

Steam Hardware & Software Survey

Always the same tripe. 64bit OS's make up over 70% of the gaming PC population.

The fact is that developers/publishers are too lazy to write games with true 64bit architecture, it costs more money and requires more know how.

I doubt you will see many games being written for the PS3 that will address the full 8GB for a long time. Besides they will likely split it up between the CPU and the GPU, which is akin to what we see in PC Games.

If games developers really thought there was a business advantage to increased memory addressing and 64bit engines in their games, we would already be seeing them. Most of them just see increased costs for minimal gains. Epic and Mark Rein are always making up stupid stories about consoles and PCs depending on which story suits their business at the time.

Although the Steam survey is an indication without knowing the sample size you can't tell how representative it is so to say 64-bit operating systems make up 70% of gaming PCs isn't true.

I do think however for a few years at least they will punch above their weight - as consoles always do - and will hold their own.... my concern is at what cost however....... RRP of console games is rumoured to be on the up again, why pay £50 for a game when you can pick up the game for half that on pc?.
As for Epics comments......... meh!

360/PS3 games have never been sold at RRP so I don't think it'll make much difference.

Do we think that Sony are going to be happy about DirectX though?

The consoles don't really conform to the DirectX API, they use a custom one.

The 2GB was a reference to graphics memory not RAM

What makes you say that?

If I recall similar things where said about PS3 in the lead up to launch but at least it seems (based on blogs) to be more in line with traditional PC development.

I wonder what Microsoft will have planned with the next xbox as the current model was quite easy to port and from PC on. Hopefully get Halo 5!

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom