1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Epia Htpc

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by jameson_uk, Jun 30, 2005.

1. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    OK, just got new TV in the bedroom and was thinking about a tiny EPIA based DVD / music player.

Not interested in TV (will soon have a sky box in there) but was considering a MII-12000 and Meedio.

Any comments / advice ?

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've just bought a MII - 600 (Fanless) - I'm planning on putting it together tomorrow - I'll let you know how I get on.
    The MII certainly seems best equipped for this HTPC malarky

3. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    That would be great :thumbsup:

I have an EPIA 5000 running as a file server with all my pics and mp3 files on. This is running Linux which can cope a lot better with lower spec hardware than Windows. I would be particularly interested in DVD playback (I am assuming there will be few problems with music or pics) and both how you get on with the hardware decoding on the mobo and what sort of CPU usage you get.

Keep my posted...

4. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    OK had the thing running for about 30 mins....

Well - I must say I'm impressed so far.15 mins to knock the H/ware together and 45 mins to install MCE2005 and it all works - even MCE works with the drivers that come with the board :eek:
    The boards is a MII6000E LDVS which has a lowly 600MHz eden processor on it, but this means it runs fanless. DVD playback was a bit stuttery, that was fixed by turning on the DVD H/W acceleration. Music plays fine, pictures are fine etc. etc. The UI isn't as responsive as my other machines, but it's still very useable. All in all v impressed. Yeah so it probaly wont to hi-def, but for a fanless mo/bo fitted into a compact case (thanks to the guys at Eve for the eval unit :) ) it does the job just nicely so far...

Will be trying out showshifter/meedio and others over the course of the w/end if I get time.... Now I'm off to the pub

5. jameson_uk

jameson_uk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +579
    :thumbsup: How did you switch the hardware decoding on ??

What is the picture quality like for DVD (I will be using the VGA output into my little LCD TV)

6. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hardware decoding was an option in the DVD player software settings menu...