EPG Problem

muddyFox143

Standard Member
Reaction score
Hi

I am trying to set Vista MCE up to accept EPG data from localhost using XMLTV GUI and BladeRunner.

When I run setup TV signal in MCE I run through the normal steps and follow the wizard through, choosing to use the guide, and entering my postcode when asked.

At this point, MCE informs me that it is connecting to the internet to download guide listings. (Actually it connects to my local server as configured) But then I get this error:

-------------------------------------------------------------
DOWNLOAD INCOMPLETE

Guide listing could not be retrieved. Guide server error

Details: Headend Service: Unexpected error. Code: 42

-------------------------------------------------------------

I'm stumped...

Any ideas? :lease:

Is there some special reason why you want to use XMLTV & Bladerunner Pro? In the UK, Germany & possibly other countries now when you set up your EPG for DVB-T (Freeview) channels you are offered a satellite EPG (Sky in the UK) as well as the DVB-T channels. If you are in some other country then editing the headend id in the registry after setting will allow you to use a satellite EPG rather than a DVB-T one. There is no need for to use BladeRunner unless you are in a country that does not have any EPG provided by Microsoft.

erm... :rolleyes: no I didn't know that there was a sky EPG, hence the xmltv/bladerunner attempt!

But now I have simply amended the headend in the registry and HEY PRESTO - full EPG.

Thanks nigelbb ;)

Is there some special reason why you want to use XMLTV & Bladerunner Pro? In the UK, Germany & possibly other countries now when you set up your EPG for DVB-T (Freeview) channels you are offered a satellite EPG (Sky in the UK) as well as the DVB-T channels. If you are in some other country then editing the headend id in the registry after setting will allow you to use a satellite EPG rather than a DVB-T one. There is no need for to use BladeRunner unless you are in a country that does not have any EPG provided by Microsoft.

Hi Nigel,

Hope you are well. Happy New Year to you!

I noticed this "addition" to the DVB-T EPG selection the other day and wondered what it was. Does it include all Sky subscription channels or just FTA/ Freesat listings?

Cheers,

Wo0zy.

Guys - just to let you know, I have just swtiched from the Bladerunner/XMLTV EPG approach to the "standard" EPG choosing the "Sky" option from the downloaded options when entering my postcode. This has conincided with me dropping the Premium Movies and Sports packages (wasn't getting much use out of them).

Change over was fairly smooth, except for me attempting to use my prefs.xml editing spreadsheet to re-order/rename the channels as I used to do with the Bladerunner/XMLTV method. This does not seem to work with the downloaded EPG which is a real kick in the teeth for me as this has saved me hours in the past. After days wasted trying to make it work, I eventually just sat down and spent the hour or so re-ordering channels in the MCE interface. Sorting out my transponder list in conjunction with my usual registry exclusion list really helped with this.

@muddyFox143 - sounds like you have yoru issue sorted now? I would definitely recommend the standard EPG now if it covers all the channels you need. I have FTA/FTV and Sky Entertainment Variety and Music packages now and have around 95% coverage (not including radio channels) and its only a few of the crappier channels that have no data. Not sure what the coverage is for other Sky packages.

The Sky channels EPG offered when you configure the DVB-T EPG are the same 290+ that you are offered when configuring analogue TV capture from a digibox. As Julian says about 95% of the available channels are present & have EPG data.

Great to hear. That's one less step needed when configuring from scratch :)

Cheers,

Wo0zy.

I am experiencing the same Code:42 problem running Vista and MCE, any chance you can share with me what registery key you changed to get it working please? Many thanks.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom