EPG on Humax question b4 purchase

Discussion in 'Digital TV & Video Players & Recorders' started by Harry Botter, Oct 14, 2004.

Tags:
  1. Harry Botter

Harry Botter

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Have decided on the 8000T to replace a frustratingly rubbish :mad: Nokia Ondigital box.

How does the EPG guide work? Is it PDC based or purely set via TV schedules?
    As TV programmes very rarely start or finish bang on time, how does the EPG allow for this? Can you program the box to start a couple of minutes early and finish later to allow for over runs?

Thanks,
    Martin

2. macta

macta

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've only had mine for a few days - but it appears to be time based (e.g. when you select from the epg it just sets up a recording with those times).

The good news is that you can edit it afterwards - the bad news is that its a bit awkward - you have to go to a different menu (very annoying). I do wish there was a "Save with Padding" button when you select a program as well as an easy way to edit record times from the EPG (not going to the other menu). My sony VCR works much better in this respect - and I am thinking of writing to humax and seeing if they might improve it.

I do find its not been an issue for movies (you might lose some of the trailing credits) but for 30 min shows I have missed a few seconds.

They do appear to make regular upgrades to the software - and you can update it via your pc - so some changes might appear.

Overall though - its a very good box for the price, with a few niggles. You can spend the money you save on buying a bigger hard drive (upgrading instructions on a different thread - its very easy).

Tim

3. Mr. Wilby

Mr. Wilby

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    I wrote to humax asking for this very feature (save with padding). They replied that they will consider it, but are actually trying to implement PDC on the humax box at the moment and this would therefore make that feature redundant.

That said, I've now missed the last minute of Sopranos for the last 4 weeks running! A tad annoying. Still, wouldn't swap it for the world. Best purchase I've made in a long time.