• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

ep35 and yam 2700

Such

I am getting the tosh tmrw from amazon and may be purchasing a yamaha 2700.
If i connect via hdmi, will i get hd sound?
Can the ep 35 output decoded signals via hdmi as is the case with the 5.1 analogue outs?

Is this a good combination?

Thanks

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
AFAIK yes the 2700 will accept audio via HDMI so let the player do the decoding and send to the amp via HDMI.

Both the EP30 and EP35 will ouput decoded signals via HDMI, so not sure why you want an EP35 instead of a EP30, if it's for the Bitstream output of HD audio then check the 2700 can decode HD audio.

(has it got a DTS-HD and Dolby TrueHD logo on it??) :D ;)

EDIT: Ok, just checked and you don't get HD audio decoding on the 2700, and it only has HDMI Ver 1.2 so you never will.. ;)

IMO save yourself some money and get a EP30 to go with this... or even better get a Onkyo amp, from the 605 upwards, which all have HD audio decoding :smashin: (most Onkyo's don't have network functionality BTW, if that matters??)

The 805 would be a similar price to the 2700, or if poss get a 875, astounding with the EP35!! :smashin: And offers some additonal features over the 805.

Have a look here, for some Onkyo deals and great service and advice ;)

Such

thanks, i got the ep35 to connect to my pioneer 2011 via 5.1 analogue outs, but now am considering buying the 2700.

as long as the 2700 can accept hd sound from the ep35 via hdmi (decoded) I will be happy as the 2700 does not have the hd decoders on board.

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
yes it can AFAIK, but check out the amp and receiver forum for more detailed info, if you wish...

Personally I'd get the EP35 and 805, but it's not up to me!! :devil: or save some money and get a EP30 instead to go with the 2700...

What will the EP35 give you over the EP30 if you get a 2700??

sdb123

Distinguished Member
The Yamaha 2700 will accept PCM over HDMI (I used to own one). The player would obviously be doing the decoding in this instance....

jon1

yes it can AFAIK, but check out the amp and receiver forum for more detailed info, if you wish...

Personally I'd get the EP35 and 805, but it's not up to me!! :devil: or save some money and get a EP30 instead to go with the 2700...

What will the EP35 give you over the EP30 if you get a 2700??

Shall we say that was sound advice:smashin::D

jon

Such

thanks for all the above - the onkyo 805 now £695 at av sales!
Seriously considering..... missus will probably kill me too...:hiya:

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
AT lest you would die with a good quality amp in your setup:thumbsup::D

:rotfl: . :rotfl:

So true... and that's a great amp for the money IMHO too :smashin:

Just make sure the wife never sees the size of the box, or feels the weight of the 805 or you'll be a gonna ;) get it hidden away in your rack, and wait till she comments on the improvements before you mention it ;)

gorge

Seriously considering..... missus will probably kill me too...:hiya:

Perhaps we could start a thread that deals with "How to convert the missus that a new amp is more important that new curtains"

:thumbsup:

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
Perhaps we could start a thread that deals with "How to convert the missus that a new amp is more important that new curtains"

:thumbsup:

:eek:

Your wife says she spends that kind of money on curtains!! and you believe her!! :eek:

Have you checked her wardrobe recently ;)

jon1

:rofl: . :rotfl:

So true... and that's a great amp for the money IMHO too :smashin:

Just make sure the wife never sees the size of the box, or feels the weight of the 805 or you'll be a gonna ;) get it hidden away in your rack, and wait till she comments on the improvements before you mention it ;)

As was nearly a gonna carrying the bloody thing from the car cardiac arrest and hernia come to mind:eek::D

jon

Such

:eek:

Your wife says she spends that kind of money on curtains!! and you believe her!! :eek:

Have you checked her wardrobe recently ;)

She wants to spend it on part payment for this years hols for the family... I've just bought an ep35 and she did raise her eyebrows somewhat - another £700 will surely tip her over the edge:eek:

Anyway, just spent £45 on Mark grant cables for the 5.1 out into my pioneer 2011 so new amp will have to wait, unless there is a better price on the 805!:smashin:

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
She wants to spend it on part payment for this years hols for the family... I've just bought an ep35 and she did raise her eyebrows somewhat - another £700 will surely tip her over the edge:eek:

Anyway, just spent £45 on Mark grant cables for the 5.1 out into my pioneer 2011 so new amp will have to wait, unless there is a better price on the 805!:smashin:

A wise move.. :smashin:

Hopefully you'll still be impressed with the HD audio via analogue, you should be ;)

At least you have the right player, which not only supports your current kit but if/when you decide to change your amp will also make the most of that...

Although by then, there will be something even better of course! :devil::D

Yep, The family Holiday was probably a very wise move... :cool:

As for price on 805 :D I doubt you'll get much better, maybe a few quid, but not a few hundred! Not enough to keep the family happy.... the alternative is of course sell the kids, solves two problems at once IMHO ;)

Such

thanks

As for price on 805 I doubt you'll get much better, maybe a few quid, but not a few hundred! Not enough to keep the family happy.... the alternative is of course sell the kids, solves two problems at once IMHO

One can dream.....:D

MacUsers

.......so new amp will have to wait, unless there is a better price on the 805!:smashin:
As a substitute of yam 2700, I don't see any such problem with 705 either. Top of that you can save another 100 quid, to make her less yell at you ;)

sdb123

Distinguished Member
As a substitute of yam 2700, I don't see any such problem with 705 either. Top of that you can save another 100 quid, to make her less yell at you ;)

IMHO, I wouldn't go for the 705 when the 805 is available at that price. For the OP here is a link to a comparison spec sheet between the Onkyo amps.

For the £100 difference the main differences are:

• The 805 weighs 23.3kg as opposed to the 705's 11.5kg
  • The 805 is THX ULTRA2 Certified
  • Better quality amplification
:)

Bald Monkey

Distinguished Member
IMHO, I wouldn't go for the 705 when the 805 is available at that price.

Agreed, and like wise the price AV sales have the 805 for, it seems harder to justify the 875 instead... the 805 at that price seems a steal! :devil: Albeit without the video features of the 875/reon :D

jon1

IMHO, I wouldn't go for the 705 when the 805 is available at that price. For the OP here is a link to a comparison spec sheet between the Onkyo amps.

For the £100 difference the main differences are:

• The 805 weighs 23.3kg as opposed to the 705's 11.5kg
  • The 805 is THX ULTRA2 Certified
  • Better quality amplification
:)

Totally agree;)

jon

sdb123

Distinguished Member
Agreed, and like wise the price AV sales have the 805 for, it seems harder to justify the 875 instead... the 805 at that price seems a steal! :devil: Albeit without the video features of the 875/reon :D

I love the 875....I needed the 1080p upscaling and the extra HDMI in my situation. If I didn't require these, then the 805 would have been a no-brainer. Good thing I like negotiating then. ;)

Shimmyhill

I tried a 605, 705, + 805 before getting the Yamaha 2700 it is vastly better in DD/DTS + Music - it also did a much better job of PCM lossless audio (before the toshibas got the bitstream update)

The 875 was the first Onkyo to compare to the 2700 and the 905 the first to equal it in DD/DTS IMO - remember the Yamaha was a £1300 amp so has much better amps + power supply than the cheaper onkyos.

Having said that the 2700 cant pass 24 frames until the force option is added to the toshiba !

MacUsers

The 805 weighs 23.3kg as opposed to the 705's 11.5kg
Does it make any difference in sound?
The 805 is THX ULTRA2 Certified
That really doesn't matter if your room environment is not THX certified, even if you have THX certified speakers.
Better quality amplification
This is could be a good point but the question is how much good it is? I think 805 got a better processor, isn't it?

jon1

Does it make any difference in sound?

That really doesn't matter if your room environment is not THX certified, even if you have THX certified speakers.

This is could be a good point but the question is how much good it is? I think 805 got a better processor, isn't it?

I ask the same question about the processor in the 805 and the sound difference between the 705 ..that was from the people that know ...they had them setup so they can make comparisons i chose the former

Jon

MI55ION

Distinguished Member
I ask the same question about the processor in the 805 and the sound difference between the 705 ..that was from the people that know ...they had them setup so they can make comparisons i chose the former

Jon

With a £100 price difference, if I was in the market, the decision would be a no brainer. :D

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom