EP30 not saving clock settings on hard power off?

probedb

Ex Member
Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bought an EP30 from ebay and have noticed that if I switch it off at the plug, the next time it's on it asks me to set the clock again?

My E1 doesn't do this...anyone know what might cause it? The firmware is also the original one too.

Cheers,

Paul.

Hi all,

I recently bought an EP30 from ebay and have noticed that if I switch it off at the plug, the next time it's on it asks me to set the clock again?

My E1 doesn't do this...anyone know what might cause it? The firmware is also the original one too.

Cheers,

Paul.

This problem is apparent with all EP30's regardless of what firmware you may have. I have the latest firmware and I still lose the clock should I remove the plug. Hope this helps.

This problem is apparent with all EP30's regardless of what firmware you may have. I have the latest firmware and I still lose the clock should I remove the plug. Hope this helps.

Phew...thought I'd bought a duff player! Thanks :)

I used to have this kind of behaviour with my EP30 but not anymore. I am not sure why though. I didn't use my player for a while, upgraded it with the latest firmware and the region hack, conected it to a different tv and after that I never got the screen asking to enter the time and date again. And I do completely disconnect the power every day. Maybe one of the steps I mentioned did it?

Well when I get the discs I'll give it a go and see if the later firmwares fix it :)

Why do you need a clock in a hd dvd player?

Ask Toshiba...I have no idea. I thought possibly in relation to whatever internet functionality it has but no idea really.

My telephone has a clock but it doesn't need one either ;)

My EP35 does this as well and I find it quite irritating. The easiest solution is to ignore it and press open while it is asking for the time.

My ep-30 does it too. Never get the on screen message but notice it if I go into the menu. Never seen the point of the clock either.

My EP35 does this as well and I find it quite irritating. The easiest solution is to ignore it and press open while it is asking for the time.

While playing with the "web enabled" feature, I noticed that if the player is connected to the internet and NTP server is specified then it does not ask for the time when it is switched. Whether it is worth going to this much trouble to shut it up is a difficult question. I have not yet checked whether specifying NTP server but not connected it also shuts it up. I will try tomorrow, enough for tonight.

While playing with the "web enabled" feature, I noticed that if the player is connected to the internet and NTP server is specified then it does not ask for the time when it is switched. Whether it is worth going to this much trouble to shut it up is a difficult question. I have not yet checked whether specifying NTP server but not connected it also shuts it up. I will try tomorrow, enough for tonight.

It seems that I was mistaken. Last night, the player asked for the time even though it had a network connection.

I suspect it's as simple as the player not having a battery to retain the clock when the power supply is removed (like most PCs have). It was probably designed to be always connected to the mains. Not good for green credentials as I power off my entire system (apart from the TiVo and Sky box) to save power.

Why it needs the clock though I don't know, other than it has NTP in it to set the clock via the Internet (why it can't set the clock when the player boots though I don't know). Web enabled features I guess could have something time dependent, but whether any ever did I don't know. Obviously it's never going to be used in the future as the format is dead.

I'm sure you're right - no internal power unit to keep the clock ticking coupled with poor & stupid design from Toshiba which insists on the screen clock nagging.

I used to have this kind of behaviour with my EP30 but not anymore. I am not sure why though. I didn't use my player for a while, upgraded it with the latest firmware and the region hack, conected it to a different tv and after that I never got the screen asking to enter the time and date again. And I do completely disconnect the power every day. Maybe one of the steps I mentioned did it?

Funny you should say that, as I've only just realised that my ep30 no longer asks me to set the clock on every power up.

Mine is also MR/FW 4.0...

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom