Ep-10 sound puzzle?

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD Players & Recorders' started by a4lloxo, Sep 15, 2007.

1. a4lloxo

a4lloxo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +127
    hi all bought an ep-10 last weekend,blown away by the picture quality.one thing puzzles me though.its stated in the manual that if the player is connected to an amp via optical(as mine is),any DD+ or True-HD tracks will be output as a DTS stream which is all well and good.However my denon 3803 displays "Dolby Digital EX" when replaying DD+(i dont seem to be able to select True HD on any of the discs that i own)and not DTS.have i set tyhe player up wrongly? i still get surround sound,but i dont want to miss out on the best possible sound available via the optical,especially as i wont be buying a HDMI equipped amp any time soon.any ideas would be greatly recieved:thumbsup:

2. bsimmer3000

bsimmer3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    I thought you could only get true hd and master audio through hdmi?

3. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    That's not what he asked (and it's also wrong)!

From what I've repeatedly read, the EP10 Toslink outputs HD DVD advanced audio as 640Kbps DD. There was talk of an update being made available that would allow the user to select between DD 640Kbps and DTS 1.5Mbps, but I've yet to see anything indicating such an update ever appeared. The XE1 also outputs DD 640Kbps via S/PDIF when playing HD DVD advanced tracks. (Note that 640Kbps DD is still a worthwhile improvement over SD DVD 448Kbps.)

4. bsimmer3000

bsimmer3000

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +24
    sorry thought he was trying to select true hd when i thought this was only possible with a hdmi connection.

5. TrevorS

TrevorS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +175
    You're right that full bore DD-TrueHD is only available through either multi-channel analogue (not included in the EP-10) and HDMI, but even then the bitstream is unavailable via HDMI. HDMI DTS-HD MA isn't available at all, just its DTS-HD Core.

Both DD-THD and DD+ are available via crosscoding to DTS Surround through Toslink on the E2, but the EP10 and XE1 instead deliver them as DD 640Kbps.