• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Eos300d - Transferring Images To Computer

E

eiriann

hi everyone!

i just got a canon eos300d as a gift, but came without any software.

everything works perfectly and i have got the interface cable to link the camera to my computer.

my xp laptop doesnt recognise the device, so i guess i need some kind of driver for it to recognise the camera as a drive?

does anyone know what kind of software i require? i am sure i can download from canon website, but i dont know which of the many things it is... and i dont need any of the imaging software stuff.

thanks a million for your help!!!

Eiriann xx

E

eiriann

thanks for help so far... what i mean is, which of the 1 to 24 software options should i download to transfer images?

thanks!!!!

eiriann xx

E

eiriann

it came with a microdrive... and i havent got a reader for that one :( so thought in the meantime i just use the cable.

senu

Distinguished Member
Get a Card reader , a a 2Gb CF card for less than £20 and cut down use of the microdrive: Card reader should cost less than a tenner, you can use it on any PC and any OS . Usually faster and doesn't use up your cameras battery or tie it down
You do need drivers which are available on Canons website as well as software for editing
I would suggest you do consider some editing software though to maximise the enhancing of your 300D images:D

E

eiriann

oki then... a new card and card reader it is :thumbsup:

does anyone know of a good website to order from?? (other than amazon)

THANKS!!!

Eiriann x

cedmondson

Good to see another 300D user :)

I'd recommend Play as a source for both reader and CF card.

This would be ideal with a laptop - you almost certainly have at least one PC card slot (credit card sized) and it avoids wires etc.

You may find cheaper 2Gb CF cards than these (Sandisk Extreme III) but they're top quality and worth the small premium.

mbscad

Hi all,
are there any problems associated with card removal/insertion frequently between camera and card reader? For example do the contacts get worn or bent?

E

eiriann

hehehe... i m so dizzy... seeing the link you gave me i remembered that i actually have a card adapter already :clap:

now i just need the new cf card... which i am ordering now.

thanks guys! i'm certain i'll have plenty more questions in the near future... when i get to take pictures.

xx

senu

Distinguished Member
Hi all,
are there any problems associated with card removal/insertion frequently between camera and card reader? For example do the contacts get worn or bent?

There should not be.
It should be fairly difficult to actually force a CF card in the wrong way and I have used them with a card reader with 3 or 4 cameras over the last 4-5 years to date with no problems. The 3 Canons we currently have: Sureshot A95, 350 and 30D all use CF
They seem to make the slots grooved and there is usually a little caption to tell you which is the right way

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I have a 350D and take my cards out of the camera every time I want to transfer photos onto my computer and no problems so far.
As already stated by people, it's much quicker to use a card reader and just copy the files over manually. When I used to connect the camera up to the computer and let the canon software to the transfer it would sometimes take ages to start processing them and it even took so long one time that the batteries on the camera gave up and I had to recharge !

mbscad

Thanks to Senu and JohnG for your experiences of using a card reader. I guess I'm just too cautious (comes from a background of edge connector problems with pcb boards I guess, as pcb's are only designed for a small number of insertions before the gold contacts get too worn.)

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom