EOS300D and error message

Tommy139

Established Member
Reaction score
I have a Canon EOS300D along with the 18-55 lens that is supplied as standard.

I also have an additional lens, a Sigma 70-300mm F4-5.6 DL Macro. I bought this lens 6 or 7 years ago and it has been very lightly used on my Canon EOS500N.

When I first got the camera I tried the 70-300 and it worked.

Now when I fit this lens and switch on the camera, all I get is an error message, err 99

I dont get this error when I use the 18-55mm lens.

It says in the manual that this error will show when something other than the other listed errors has occured

Has anyone got any ideas about this ?? :lease:

If think I've read that Sigma have a programme to upgrade lenses that suffer from incompatibility issues. Suggest you search this forum for Sigma & get in touch with them.

[email protected]
01707 329999

crocodile said:
If think I've read that Sigma have a programme to upgrade lenses that suffer from incompatibility issues. Suggest you search this forum for Sigma & get in touch with them.

[email protected]
01707 329999

Thanks Crocodile. :thumbsup:

Found the thread you mentioned and read it.

I will send them an email when I get home later.

If it did work but now doesn't the first thing i'd check would be the lens contacts just to make sure they're not stuck and/or dirty. Sigma might re-chip but a 7 year old lens might be too old.

Hi Tom
Check out this thread at livingroom.org as well (just scroll on down to comments) as it seems a lot of people have had similar issues with Sigma lenses and the 300, though some also mention the problem may also be a design flaw in the 300 itself.

Good Luck

Zone said:
Check out this thread at livingroom.org as well (just scroll on down to comments) as it seems a lot of people have had similar issues with Sigma lenses and the 300, though some also mention the problem may also be a design flaw in the 300 itself.

Many thanks for the link Zone.

That makes interesting and very dissappointing reading... If I had read this thread before buying my camera it would certainly have put doubts in my mind about whehter or not I should be handing over my cash for it. :confused:

Sigma (and other third-party lens makers) have to reverse-engineer their lens mounts, so when the camera makers introduce new features (or new ways of using existing features), the lenses can become incompatible. Sigma can re-chip some of their lenses for free, so people with incompatible lenses should get in touch with them.

Chris.

I have now emailed Sigma to see if anything can be done with my lens even though it was purchased a few years ago and also that I do not have a reciept.

Tommy139 said:
Many thanks for the link Zone.

That makes interesting and very dissappointing reading... If I had read this thread before buying my camera it would certainly have put doubts in my mind about whehter or not I should be handing over my cash for it. :confused:

Worst case scenario, the Canon 75-300 USM is only £119 at 7 Dayshop or try a wanted ad in the classifieds here. Knock out the Sigma on ebay to offset the cost & it shouldn't hurt too much.

Had a reply to my email to Sigma today....

Dear Sir
Unfortunately we can no longer upgrade your lens for digital
cameras.
Please contact us on 01707 329999 as we can offer you an alternative
option.

Kind Regards

Sigma UK

So it seems like ebay or similar beckons for this piece of kit.

And do I phone Sigma to see what they can offer knowing that in the future a similar problem may occur. :rolleyes:

Must be worth the cost of a call Tom to see what they can offer :)

I just got the same reply from Sigma...I bought a 300d 2-3 weeks ago and just assumed it would work with my lenses....bah now I have to shell out some more cash for a new lens. this sucks....

The strange thing is that it works sometimes...very irritating

Zone said:
Must be worth the cost of a call Tom to see what they can offer :)

Gave Sigma a call today to see what they could offer and the deal is as follows.

In exchange for my lens being returned to them, along with a cheque for £105.75 I get the latest equivilant lens from them, this being the 70-300mm f4/5.6 ASP Macro super 2 which they say has a retail of £219.99

I am probably going to take them up on this offer. This lens is available at Jessops for £199.99.

SRXy said:
I just got the same reply from Sigma...I bought a 300d 2-3 weeks ago and just assumed it would work with my lenses....bah now I have to shell out some more cash for a new lens. this sucks....

The strange thing is that it works sometimes...very irritating

I have 3 old sigma lenses and the lenses will work but only at maximum aperture. So if you stick the 300d to Av mode and set the aperture to the widest value then it will work!

I also swapped one for the 70-300APO which arrived today. Haven't had a chance to use it outside yet.

regards

Mark

I spoke to sigma here in south africa and they just told me they can't chip it and that it's just bad luck for me... :mad:

geez...I guess I'll flog the old lens off and get a Canon EF lens instead...although I will miss the macro function...

Am loving my EOS300D with 'upgraded' firmware..works like a dream..

Only niggle is how slow the USB port is...Will it be dramatically speeded up if I use a CF card-reader?

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom