1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

EOS adapter for XL1s

Discussion in 'Camcorders, Action Cams & Video Editing Forum' started by SystemBlack, Oct 10, 2004.

1. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    In the manual for the camcorder, it states that the adapter is for lenses which have manual focus only. I think it may have lost something in the translation from Japanese as it may mean lenses which have a manual focus switch fitted. I have an EX1 Hi camera and the EOS adapter does give full AF, albeit a little slow. I want to get the XL lens adapter for my new toy but at £339 if it doesn't give AF, it seems a little expensive.
    Perhaps someone can oblige with their own experience of this piece of kit. :lease:

2. Roy Mallard

Roy Mallard

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I don't rate this piece of kit to be honest.

Any canon EF lens you pop on there will have its focal length multiplied by 7, so that a standard 50mm becomes equivalent to a 350mm.

Add on a big zoom or L series tele and you'll need an extrememly robust tripod and sanbags to keep the thing steady, don't even think about smooth movement.

If you are a stalker this is great, if you want good video without too much hassle forget it.

Are you going to tell me that you've a canon xl1 and you use auto focus?.
    This to me is the equivalent of buying a humvee for the school run!.

The auto focus shall hunt more because the focal range has increased so much, with a reduction in depfth of field that comes with a tele lens, built should still work as all the contacts are present.

Under these circumstances you would really want to focus manually.

3. SystemBlack

SystemBlack

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks. I have only just acquired it to replace my faulty EX1 so I haven't really got to know it yet. The intention is to use manual focus with my 400mm lens for moon shots and nesting birds etc, so much panning isn't really on the cards. I also intend to use my 80-200 L and I will try my other lenses too, my 28-105 and my 70-210, both USM (just to see). I do have an old Gitzo studio tripod which was used to support 10x8 plate cameras and it has the original Gitzo head on it. It has a large support area and it may be possible to support both the 400 and the camera on the tripod head together. As for sandbags, I have got the army to deliver them at the weekend.
    I did realise the 7x factor would affect image stability and will wait and see the results, but I did see on dpreview.com an XL1s, with a 2x EOS teleconverter mounted on a 1200mm f5.6L. (Notice how I said the camera and converter were mounted on the lens ). Thanks again for the reply.