eos 600d or 650d

jrl

Ive been given a canon eos 600d ,its unopened with the receipt and I've been told they wouldn't mind if I changed it , its from curry's and has an extra battery and remote
I dont know if I should keep it or pay the extra to get the eos 650 ,i like the idea of the touch screen and the HDR night mode, is the 600 as good on hand held night shots, as that is my main concern, I also have a very old eos 600 [35mm] and was hoping to use the lens off that if it would work ? its a 35/70mm ef lens
I really need to decide what to do by tomorrow so I can change it [or not] I would prefer not to spend the extra money but don't want regret not doing later
Bob

RobDickinson

The ef35/70 will work but because the xxxD are crop cameras wil give you a narrow field of view, the 18-55 kit lens is actually pretty good and worth getting.

650d touchscreen is nice and for video it can make good use of the STM lenses too. If your not interested in video I would stick to the 600d.

loz

Distinguished Member
Ive been given a canon eos 600d ,its unopened with the receipt and I've been told they wouldn't mind if I changed it , its from curry's and has an extra battery and remote
I dont know if I should keep it or pay the extra to get the eos 650 ,i like the idea of the touch screen and the HDR night mode, is the 600 as good on hand held night shots, as that is my main concern, I also have a very old eos 600 [35mm] and was hoping to use the lens off that if it would work ? its a 35/70mm ef lens
I really need to decide what to do by tomorrow so I can change it [or not] I would prefer not to spend the extra money but don't want regret not doing later
Bob

The 650D HDR Night Mode only simplifies/automates something you can do on the 600D.

And for good results, both need to use a tripod.

It isn't that the 650D has a better sensor or anything for night shots. HDR Night mode is just in-body automation of producing an better image by combining several shots and optimizing the settings for those shots. You could do the same, and probably better using either camera by shooting in RAW and them merging them later on your computer.

jrl

Just took some test movies with the eos 650 and kit lens [18/55] the sound was awful on servo auto focus, like a couple of blackbirds chattering away ,whats the best way to take films , and still be in focus ? tried with movie servo focus disabled , got rid of the noise ok but was mostly out of focus !
dont have any problems with my Nikon P510 bridge camera
Bob

loz

Distinguished Member
Just took some test movies with the eos 650 and kit lens [18/55] the sound was awful on servo auto focus, like a couple of blackbirds chattering away ,whats the best way to take films , and still be in focus ? tried with movie servo focus disabled , got rid of the noise ok but was mostly out of focus !

Was it the new STM kit lens? (I think that is new to the 700D)

Quiet, smooth focusing in movies

STM Motor technology provides near-silent focusing to leave your video soundtrack uninterrupted by noise, and adjusts smoothly and precisely as you shoot.

The problem you raise is why they introduced STM lenses.

Last edited:

jrl

Its the EF-S 18/55 , how can canon send a camera out like this ? just about unusable in video auto focus mode !

loz

Distinguished Member
Its the EF-S 18/55 , how can canon send a camera out like this ? just about unusable in video auto focus mode !

Good question. Technology keeps evolving and unfortunately you bought a kit which combines a new body and an old lens. The latest version - 700D - now combines a new body and a new lens.

But an observation on STM lenses was noted in the first reply to you.

650d touchscreen is nice and for video it can make good use of the STM lenses too.

You could think of upgrading to something like the 18-135mm STM lens.
(or see if you could return your kit and exchange it to that, as the kit would be cheaper than buying the lens separately)

Last edited:

jrl

Yes the STM lens was mentioned but I didn't think the EF-S would so bad , can't change the camera now I've used it but probably couldn't afford to anyway
Any tips on focus settings, will be shooting a lot at night [going to Las Vegas at weekend] wearing glasses doesn't make it any easier trying to manually focus
Bob

RobDickinson

The kit lens is a basic lens to get you started, its not supposed to do everything well.

Video is way down its list but with the new STM kit lens on the 700d its got a bump I guess.

loz

Distinguished Member
Yes the STM lens was mentioned but I didn't think the EF-S would so bad , can't change the camera now I've used it but probably couldn't afford to anyway
Any tips on focus settings, will be shooting a lot at night [going to Las Vegas at weekend] wearing glasses doesn't make it any easier trying to manually focus
Bob

Go for maximum depth of field.
Wide angle, small aperture, will help ensure more things are in focus.
(not that small aperture goes well with shooting at night!)

Don't try to refocus mid shot.
Focus. Shoot. Stop. Refocus. Shoot...
Each time you stop, you can of course use Autofocus. Then switch back to manual so it doesnt try to refocus whilst shooting.

It won't be available to you this weekend, but longer term install Magic Lantern Firmware once it is available for the 650D.
That gives you Focus Peeking which is IMO is essential for manually focusing video.

You might feel a bit self concious, but use a magnifying loupe hood over the LCD. It works wonders - makes it more like using a video camera. Particularly with regard to manual focusing when all you have is an LCD. See my thread on that.

jrl

Thanks for the advice loz going to practise shooting before I go on hol, its my first week of retirement so I've got more time now !
Bob

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom