Eos 30d

bob52

Standard Member
My previous Camera used to be a Olympus E500 (17-45mm), and i was thinking of getting a 20D or 1D MkII.

Well i got a the 30D instead with 17-85mm Lens.

I have a little issue....

On the highest JPEG setting the EOS 30D image files are only around 3 to 3.5mb in size...

Where as my E500 it was 5 to 5.5mb in size.. both Camera are 8mp :confused:

Is the 30D jpeg quality worse than the E500, as i only shoot in Jpeg mode, would i have been better off with the E500

tdodd

Novice Member
The size of the file will depend on your quality and size settings, the picture style and parameters (especially sharpening) you chose, the amount of fine detail in your scene as a whole and how sharp that detail is. I've just checked a few of my 30D JPEGs from when I first got the camera and there are files over 4MB in size and even over 5MB. If you have a lot lof sky, for example, or featureless areas then they are easily compressed and will yield small file sizes.

Personally I now only shoot raw, but I never had complaints about the JPEG quality coming out of my 30D and 17-85 lens when I first got them. I still have them too :)

Here's an example at 5.3MB....

20090528_185153_0009_LR.jpg

Last edited:

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: LG C1 Review, Apple Lossless & Dolby Atmos @ no cost, Sennheiser IE900 review + more
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom