1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Eos 300D and studio lighting

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by Ricardfred, Jun 22, 2004.

1. Ricardfred

Ricardfred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    I would like to buy a studio lighting kit, such as the Interfit lighting kit at Jessops, to use with my Canon 300D/Digital Rebel. However from trawling the internet I came across some posts mentioning these kits having too high a voltage and could damage the 300D. I must admit that I am confused and would love to hear if anyone is using the 300D with studio lighting. Would the 550ex speedlight be my only option? I will be photographing mainly art paintings indoors and have to avoid direct flash and lighting due to glare on paintings. Any tips? :confused:

2. Juliesinar

Juliesinar

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +51
    I have a 10D but have not tried using studio lighting yet, but I do remember reading about a little device called a WEIN Safe-Sych which is supposed to reduce flash voltages to 6V.

They are available from Jacobs web site for £45.79, it might be worth doing a little bit of research to see if it would be suitable for your needs.

http://www.jacobsdigital.co.uk/products.php?productId=8730

Sorry I can't offer any more advice but I have never photographed paintings, I would have thought bouncing a 550ex would offer decent illumination, but of coarse you would have to be careful of the colour of the surface you were bouncing of to prevent colour casts. I often use a lumiquest pocket bouncer which is great for diffusing flash light. Jessops sell them for £18.99

http://www.lumiquest.com/lq871.htm

Julie

3. Ricardfred

Ricardfred
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Julie
    many thanks for those links. The LumiQuest Big Bounce is something I will investigate along with the flash. It certainly would be lot easier to carry around.