Envisaging loft space

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I need help to envisage the amount of usable space I could have in my loft if I raised the roof ridgeline by 2 or 3 feet (replacing the roof obviously) and having a couple of dormers on there.

The problem is that the local council has guidelines that a dormer on the front of the property shouldn't be more than a third of the width of the roof and on the back of the property not more than 2 thirds. So I'm wondering if I'll get much usable space with good height if I went ahead?

I'm sure it must be easy to do by drawing scale diagrams of the triangle cross-section but I'd like to be able to picture what I'd end up with.

andyk

Perhaps you should get a loft conversion company to come and have a look? When we did ours they were only too happy to help.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
A builder friend has had a look but I can't get him to show me the available space without having proper plans drawn up and I don't want to go to that expense unless I'm really going to go ahead with it.

Mr_Wistles

Distinguished Member
Have you tried walking around your immediate neighbourhood and seeing if someone has anything similar?

Then prove that you are not a burgular but a neighbour and ask if you can have a look? Only option I can think of without plans.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Have you tried walking around your immediate neighbourhood and seeing if someone has anything similar?

Then prove that you are not a burgular but a neighbour and ask if you can have a look? Only option I can think of without plans.

It's only a small development and only 2 of the other properties are the same as mine and none of the properties have a loft conversion.

I reckon that because the base of the cross section triangle is fairly long, then it won't give me that much more height at the edges even with a 3 ft raising of the roof ridge.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
I need help to envisage the amount of usable space I could have in my loft if I raised the roof ridgeline by 2 or 3 feet (replacing the roof obviously) and having a couple of dormers on there.

The problem is that the local council has guidelines that a dormer on the front of the property shouldn't be more than a third of the width of the roof and on the back of the property not more than 2 thirds. So I'm wondering if I'll get much usable space with good height if I went ahead?

I'm sure it must be easy to do by drawing scale diagrams of the triangle cross-section but I'd like to be able to picture what I'd end up with.

can you do that? We don't have enough room in our loft to convert but I didn't know you could possibly raise the roof!

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
btw, build a scale model out of cornflake boxes? I'd guess the trigonometry to work out where a 1/3 and 2/3 dormer intersects with a sloping roof would be tricky, but I'd expect you could build a roof out of cardboard really easily, and then just measure

maybe use kelloggs variety boxes as dormers - ready made boxes that you can slot into place.

and yes I'm serious :)

HMHB

Distinguished Member
Yes you can raise the roof height. You have to remove the old roof and build a new one with the greater pitch and you'd also need planning permission but it's doable.

richard plumb

Distinguished Member
ah, you raise the ridge only but keep the eaves the same so you have a steeper roof? I think I'd either need to raise the eaves too or have the world's widest dormers :)

figoagogo

Distinguished Member
Yes you can raise the roof height. You have to remove the old roof and build a new one with the greater pitch and you'd also need planning permission but it's doable.

Can this be done on a Semi :confused: (doubt it).

We have a nice long loft space, I did spend a whole day crawling around putting in insulation (horrible job on in a 50/40yr old loft).

I reckon you can just about stand (I am 5' 8") down the centre, but this sides are too low. I would love to convert it one day, but not sure if its possible, none of the other similar houses in our area have been converted.

I also have a garage to convert, and a connie to build, so its a long way off.

HMHB

Distinguished Member
I doubt it could be done in a semi. My loft is only just high enough to stand up in the middle and the roof would have to be replaced because there are trusses all over the place. It would have to be replaced with a roof structure that doesn't have the trusses and it needs raising.

Without having large dormers I doubt I'd get much extra usable space even with the higher roof and steeper pitch. I suppose one option is to build up the lowest walls up 2 or 3 feet so that the new roof would start there and not at the present loft floor level.

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom