Entry Level Vr

chaz206

Ok people. finally got a phone that i can use with a vr unit but not sure which one to get that doesnt cost the earth.

Just looking to watch some movies and play some games to get the experience, any reccomendations plz

cheers,

css_jay99

If it is a samsung phone, you could look out here or auction site for a used Samsung Gear if your phone is compatible. If you get tired of it. You can sell it off with minimal loss for trying out VR.

I would have done this (as a starter) rather than buy an oculus + alienware laptop but I have no love for android phones and talked myself into needing a laptop

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
I own a few headsets for my smartphone and so can recommend these two as the best for comfort, focus adjustments.

My main purpose for smartphone VR is watching movies on a big virtual cinema screen. Its fantastic for that use provided you have a smartphone with a sufficient high resolution display. What phone do you have?

Number one recommendation is Vr Fiit for best quality optics with no chromatic aberations, very good FOV, ergonomics, adjustable focus on individual lenses (though not very smooth in its adjustment), minima light leaks. This is the one I use mostly which has an added bonus of having enough space for me to mount a modded USB laptop fan I use to cool the phone.

Number two recommendation is the BoboVR4 which has a built in set of over ear speakers which are not bad. Drawback is you cant use your own higher quality headphones if you own a pair. FOV is supposedly 120deg but I dont actually find much difference to the VR Fiit 102 deg FOV. I found that BoboVR suffers a little bit of chromatic aberration. But a nice all in one convenience.

The app I use for my virtual cinema experience is CMOAR Virtual Cinema. Wonderful feel of watching movies on a big screen.

As for games...you wont get proper VR gaming experience as you would on a PSVR/Rift/Vive. What you do get is plenty of VR "experiences" apps like rollercoasters, short story horror experiences etc. Pretty good stuff actually but not in gaming terms.

One other accessory that is pretty essential for mobile VR is a bluetooth controller. I recommend the GameSir V4 which you can use on multiple consoles as well. Or a simple bluetooth controller can sufffice too as most mobile gaming requires just simple one button pressing (most actually just require gaze activation but a controller makes it easier)

However, with some tech effort, it is possible to play Steam games on your smartphone/VR headset by streaming from the PC. But takes some effort to configure that setup.

If you bought a new Daydream compatible phone, then you might want get the dedicated Daydream headset...but applications and games are not quite up to the numbers of the old Google Cardboard apps.

If you bought a Samsung Phone then as css_jay recommends, then by all means get a Samsung Gear for its built in positional sensors (costs quite a bit more, though).

Both Daydream and Samsung Gear supports Netflix VR home theatre app...which if movie watching is your priority, might be the deal maker for you if you have a Netflix subscription.

I hope that helps. Dont forget, Google cardboard compatible headsets are dirt cheap because their just simply smartphone holders with lenses but highly effective for VR experiences and movie watching.

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
I cant really advise on which one to get (sorry) however I will say one thing... and to me this seems mind numbingly obvious however after reading one user who has written his rather scathing thoughts on where VR is at today and the future of VR, basically telling folk its too early, dont bother buying yet........ and it turns out he has not even tried a rift CV1 or a vive Soi will say this.

DO NOT judge VR as a whole based on your experiences in google cardboard or even gear VR.

I aint saying dont give them a go, i am certain there will be interesting experiences on them... but they are not the full fat VR experience.

IMO VR needs some key ingredients, and imo the only devices currently to offer them all are both the rift and the vive.

a decent quality high resolution screen (vive/rift is not perfect but its a decent minimal level right now)
6 DOF tracking (only the rift and vive offer this AFAIK)
as little screen door effect as possible. (& is why the rift DK2 falls a little short with CV1 the leader)
a decent level of compute behind it.
a good field of view (something the rift *just* manages and the vive a little better still)

manage expectations accordingly.... the vive and the rift are the best complete packages and even then each are a little lacking in different areas... but both are better than any other solution currently out there.

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
I cant really advise on which one to get (sorry) however I will say one thing... and to me this seems mind numbingly obvious however after reading one user who has written his rather scathing thoughts on where VR is at today and the future of VR, basically telling folk its too early, dont bother buying yet........ and it turns out he has not even tried a rift CV1 or a vive Soi will say this.

DO NOT judge VR as a whole based on your experiences in google cardboard or even gear VR.

I aint saying dont give them a go, i am certain there will be interesting experiences on them... but they are not the full fat VR experience.

IMO VR needs some key ingredients, and imo the only devices currently to offer them all are both the rift and the vive.

a decent quality high resolution screen (vive/rift is not perfect but its a decent minimal level right now)
6 DOF tracking (only the rift and vive offer this AFAIK)
as little screen door effect as possible. (& is why the rift DK2 falls a little short with CV1 the leader)
a decent level of compute behind it.
a good field of view (something the rift *just* manages and the vive a little better still)

manage expectations accordingly.... the vive and the rift are the best complete packages and even then each are a little lacking in different areas... but both are better than any other solution currently out there.

Vive/Rift/PSVR will win for that all round VR experience....just let's not dismiss the impressive achievements that mobile VR has in specific areas for very little cost excluding smartphone cost. The worry that people experiencing mobile VR will lead to them judging VR experiences on Vive/Occulus/PSVR will be similar, is rather unlikely but even if they do, let them! Its their way, so be it. Its like living in a caravan and assuming all homes are like that. Some people might actually think that, who knows...but that's who they are. Otherwise, generally, most knows there is a better overall upgrade without experiencing it. However, sometimes not necessarily better in every way. For instance, a caravan can move around different locations with different sceneries, a mansion cannot despite its higher cost. But no doubt the mansion is the overall the better home. But some people may stick with caravans for the love of that mobility.

I love mobile VR but I am under no illusion that its overall better than PC tethered VR headsets. And I look forward to buying a PSVR to play Rogue One VR and blu ray watching. Then down the line maybe a Rift/Occulus later gen. Games cost cheaper on Steam than on a PSVR for a start (well I imagine so, as that's always the pattern of consoles and PCs).

Regards your list, agree with all that except just a couple of adjustments:

Add PSVR too amongst "complete all round packages".

The VR leader for minimal screen door effect is actually the PSVR (out of the big boys headsets). Despite its lower resolution, it actually has the highest sub-pixel count due to having an RGB display with 3 sub pixels as opposed to Vive/Oculus with just 2 sub pixels (PenTile matrix). Its the sub pixels ppi count that determines the level of screen door effect.

I own a Sony Xperia Z5 Premium that sports a 806 PPI 4k display and on top of that, has an RGB 3 subpixel arrangement. So watching VR movies is an astounding experience that CV1/Vive/PSVR cant match (although, I will be getting PSVR myself because I want to watch my blu rays which mobile VR can't achieve without my ripping blu rays). Smartphones with 1440p IPS LCD displays (all have RGB 3 subpixel arrangements) will also perform better than Vive/Rift/PSVR...for VR movie watching.

Some Mobile VR headsets actually have up to 120 deg FOV (BoboVR4) and its a good experience with some VR experience apps and 360 videos. They can differ in lens quality though, suffering some chromatic aberration (My BoboVR4 does). My Vr Fiit headset seems to strike the best balance of good FOV 102deg and lens quality (no aberrations and no distortions).

But for VR gaming, Vive/Rift/PSVR absolutely wins hands down for sheer power, better sensor tracking, refresh rates and smoothness of gaming. But some VR experiences on the mobile VR are still impressive with the right smartphone. Phones with SUPER AMOLED (2 subpixel Pentile) screens have low latency and so perform smoother while IPS LCD screens have the RGB 3 subpixel layouts for less SDE but with higher latency. And of course the lastest higher powered snapdragon 835 smartphones will improve that experience for simple VR demo experiences.

It only costs £6 for a VR Fiit headset or £50 for a GearVR with with built in tracking sensors. Mobile VR has that advantage of being tether free, so that VR can be enjoyed anywhere (really handy for me for my movie watching).

BUT just just like with the Vive/Rift needing high spec PCs, so does the mobile VR require from smartphones.

Last edited:

chaz206

Sorry guys completely forgot about this thread.

To answer the man question I've got a samsung s8 which should be perfect for vr

Not looking to spend the earth in fact cheaper as poss but I know this will not be the best vr experience.
Just don't have the time or money to spend on a proper vr kit not to mention the pc or lappy either

Going to give it a couple weeks and see what come up for sale

MikeKay1976

Distinguished Member
Samsung s8
Gear vr the sensible choice then :)

TheyCallMeTJ

Distinguished Member
Sorry guys completely forgot about this thread.

To answer the man question I've got a samsung s8 which should be perfect for vr

Not looking to spend the earth in fact cheaper as poss but I know this will not be the best vr experience.
Just don't have the time or money to spend on a proper vr kit not to mention the pc or lappy either

Going to give it a couple weeks and see what come up for sale

I recommend Gear VR too but there is also Daydream View to consider which is Google's new VR specific platform to exclusive apps that will surely be expanded over time and just this month encompassed the S8/s8+ in its limited compatible range of phones. Daydream View is considerably cheaper at £70 I see it going for. Currently, Gear VR has the much bigger app store of course than Daydream.

However, whether you choose one of the above or not, you might as well also buy a google Cardboard compatible headset, regardless, as the larger base of Google Cardboard apps dont run on Gear VR (and currently, neither on Daydream's portal, bizarrely). And you say you want to spend as little as possible....no problem! A really good comfortable Google headset can be picked up for just £6 on Amazon: (I have this one and wrote a review on the product page under name TheyCallMeMrGlass).

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B01CCOX0MQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_1?smid=A2LLBZM8214R8Q&psc=1

As you mentioned a desire to watch films, GearVr or Daydream View for the Netflix VR app (if you subscribe to Netflix) to enjoy Netflix films/shows in an adjustable big screen room and for Gear VR/or Daydream platform exclusives that make use of the extra head tracking sensors and motion controllers.

If buying a Gear VR, try get the latest 2017 model (version 3 at around £110) for the slightly improved ergonomics, hugely better ventilation to avoid overheating (a huge issue with previous headset and phones) and for the first time comes with a motion controller (previous and current headsets have the control buttons on the headset itself on the sides, but a motion controller in hand makes game playing much more intuitive). There will be a newer version being released with Galaxy Note 8 but the only difference is that it can also accommodate the new Note 8.

Edit ALERT!: Samsung just lowered their price of Gear VR (without controller) to £39!

If you do buy an older cheaper version of Gear VR and find that your phone overheats too quickly, you can mod it with a USB fan. I have done this with two of my headsets and it allows me to watch a whole movie without any overheating issues. Basically, I get a 5V laptop fan, rewire and replace the molex plug with a USB cable plug and plug it into a 10mah 5V portable lithium battery. On a Gear VR, would also have to cut a square hole in the cover as hardly any space to fit the fan in between cover and back of phone. Just throwing options to you. There is lots to tinker about with mobile VR!

Whatever you get, hope you enjoy it!

Last edited:

css_jay99

Since I could not be bothered to fire up the oculus due to tethered cables + SHMBO gives me not so good looks when the cables come out, I decided to buy the New gear headset for tryouts since I picked up an S7 edge from the forum for my Dad

I have just about set it up and downloaded a few apps and I am impressed. What i don't understand is how samsung is able to create a cheap headset that does not require me to use my glasses while I need use glasses in the Vive and Rift?

Also whats the best way to watch on gear the films and Tv series sitting on my NAS or plex?. I hope I don't have to start copying to the S7?

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom