Entry-level (VA) TV with best up-scaling/processing?

ab12

I'm in search of a new tv for my folks. They happily own a Samsung UE46D5000 which as a FHD Chi Lin/Innolux VA-panel. But they want something more modern with smaller bezels and such, and also a lager screen size.

They are basic users and watch non-hdr content, such as regular tv broadcast (1080i), IPTV and occasionally movies/series via Netflix or Blu-ray. Smart platform doesn't matter. Most entry-level tv's of the major brand's would probably suffice. However, I'm not quite sure which one will handle lower quality and resolution content the best?

Options (most likely their 55-inch as their viewing distance is about 3.20 meters): Samsung 7 series, Hisense A6/B7 (difficult to get in NL), TCL EP64, Sony XF70 (more expensive) Philips PUS6/7 or perhaps some IPS entry-models of LG or Panasonic? Their budget is around 500 euros.

Dodgexander

From purely an upscaling perspective any Philips model with the P5 picture processor will be good. With Sony you'd probably want to step up to at least the XF85/XG83 range.

Samsung's and LGs upscaling is pretty decent too, but you are probably looking at their higher end LCDs/OLEDs to get the very best upscaling.

EUR500 budget I'd probably try and find a Philips 7 series, last years models ending with 3 should come with a VA type panel, although its not 100%.

@desinho is from NL so may have a better idea of availability right now and which is the better buy.

EDIT* for regular TV I'm not sure the current TV won't be better. A new TV will always have to apply upscaling and it will be larger too. Unless they are watching HD or higher, its probably best not to get a 55" model and maybe not a good idea buying a new UHD model at all.

ab12

Thank you for your reply. Does the P5 offer that much over the others to really consider one or would the difference be minimum to really notice in real life compared to the others?

Regular TV will be HD and the same goes for movies/series now and then. I know about the upscaling that's why I was wondering which of the picture processors and perhaps algoritmes works best at this level. I'll look into the Phillips line up, thanks. Also would you, in this case/scenario, drop tv's from TCL and Hisense as their processing lacks compared to the 'better known' brands?

Is their any difference between VA and IPS panels in this case with regards to lower quality content, upscaling and processing or do those things only depend on the picture processor etc? Lastly, would spending a tad more for higher models be worth the money for better processing and such?

zeppelino

Distinguished Member
No difference with panel types, it’s purely processor based.

I’d discount TCL but not Hisense. The latter lag slightly regarding hdr processing not upscaling.

Look at Hisense U7B or B7500/7100 or variations of those model numbers. If hdr is not going to be used at all then the B7100 should suffice.

Dodgexander

I'm not so certain with TCL in respect of their picture processing, it certainly won't be any worse than Hisense's which is still very good.

But if you want the very best, I think the P5 processor will be best, if only because its the same processor that Philips use in their higher end TVs whereas with other manufacturers you tend to have to pay a lot more to get a better processor.

Is there much of a difference? Well not really, certainly not without comparing each TV side by side, whats far more important is the quality of the source material and how far they view/how big the TV is. 3m away with broadcast HD on a 55" you can probably get away with. But a 50" would look sharper.

ab12

Unfortunately, Hisense TV's are almost non-existent here (parallel import) and therefore overpriced compared to others. The option and prices are as follows at the moment:

TCL 55EP644 ~ €420€600 ~ €630
Hisense BE7000 ~ €460Panasonic TX-55FX613
Samsung RU7100 ~ €480Philips 55PUS67
LG 55UM7400 ~ €530Hisense A6400
LG 60UM7100 ~ €555Samsung 55RU74

For now, I guess it's between the TCL 55EP644, Hisense BE7000 and Samsung RU7100. Which one is the better choice in your opinion considering the use and price? That said, I'm probably going to wait for Black Friday deals and see what else might come up.

Dodgexander

There are no 7 series Philips TVs in budget with the P5 processor?

I think out of all those options, if you want to avoid a chance of an IPS panel then Hisense B series, LG UM7100 and TCL EP644 are your best bets, no idea why last years Hisense A6400 is more expensive.

Last edited:

ab12

There are no 7 series Philips TVs in budget with the P5 processor?

I think out of all those options, if you want to avoid a chance of an IPS panel then Hisense B series, LG UM7400 and TCL EP644 are your best bets, no idea why last years Hisense A6400 is more expensive.
Phillips 7 series start at €649,-. You mention the LG UM7400, but it's IPS? Very few stores sell Hisense TVs 'officially' here. The ones that do charge too much and only offer 2018 models. Result is an odd price difference with stores which offer one or two newer models obtained from parallel import. And unfortunately, Amazon (DE or IT) and others don't ship large TVs abroad...

Dodgexander

I have since corrected my post, its the 60" LGs that shouldn't be IPS. Sorry for the mistake.

There's a Philips 7 series here: https://tweakers.net/pricewatch/1163797/philips-50pus7303-zilver.html

50" models will always come with VA, so the Philips is for certain VA. They have a 2019 model too but its more expensive.

It may be smaller, but that is not a bad thing in the respect of upscaling and normal TV usage.

desinho

I would go for the 60" LG (but I see it's not in stock at the moment and this store is notorious for trying to sell you something else instead in such cases. Of course they might also offer something interesting).
A friend of mine has a 65" entry level LG with IPS panel (possibly still a RGBW even) at maybe 2 meters distance and to my 'surprise' it's quite watchable with HD cable tv. Motion/pixel response bothered me less than on the 43" FHD HiSense :laugh:.
The 2018 7 series Philips models from a later production date probably all have IPS panels (except of course the 50").

Last edited:

ab12

I've narrowed my search down to the following models, as I was able to find some stores in the EU that actually ship fairly priced Hisense tvs abroad.
  • Hisense 55B7300 ~ €400
  • Samsung UE55RU7100 (VA) ~ €480
  • Hisense 55B7500 ~ €560
  • Hisense H55U7A ~ €560
Dropped TCL due to slow software/interface, presumably bad motion and questionable upscaling. Its Hisense alternative is also cheaper. 60'' LG is most likely too large, but still may be an option for that price. 55'' Philips P5 models are too expensive and 50'' is too small. Other brands/models are either IPS or too expensive compared to the ones above.
  • B7300 - is the cheapest option, a 2019 model, has many positive user reviews, but no prof. reviews yet.
  • RU7100 - (VA) has good reviews, but mediocre motion handling? It's also a recognized and esteemed brand (to regular people).
  • B7500 - found two positive reviews, supports WCG + Dolby Vison, but perhaps pricey compared to U7A?
  • U7A - positive reviews, WCG, best motion and better upscaling (processing) than others??
I'm most drawn to the B7300 for its price and probably performance (ratio) too, but unfortunately no decent reviews to be found yet. However, is paying extra for the proven RU7100 and the better specced B7500 or U7A worth it?

Dodgexander

• Samsung UE55RU7100 (VA) ~ €480
You won't know for certain its using a VA type panel. Samsung mix it up too much with panels. If you are sourcing info from displayspecifications.com its often incorrect.
  • B7300 - is the cheapest option, a 2019 model, has many positive user reviews, but no prof. reviews yet.
  • B7500 - found two positive reviews, supports WCG + Dolby Vison, but perhaps pricey compared to U7A?
They are practically the same TV. When a TV is in the same series they come with identical picture quality. The higher tier model number has Dolby Vision so when you play content that has dolby vision such as HDR titles on Netflix or certain UHD Blu-Rays, it will display it with less problems.

• U7A - positive reviews, WCG, best motion and better upscaling (processing) than others??
Only option that comes with a 120hz panel so yes, likely better motion. Picture processing is very good, maybe not as good as LG/Samsung though.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Marantz SR7015 & NAD T 778 AVR + Mission LX2 MKII Speaker Reviews, AV & Film News and More
Top Bottom