Entry level V-logging camera

The Terrible Tiggy

Novice Member
Hello! I've been looking for a 4K (or at least fairly decent) camcorder for making youtube videos. I really would like to get something under £200, but I don't want it to be terrible. I've been thinking about maybe a cheap action cam as they seem to be reasonably priced, and I can record audio separately if need be (especially if they're capable of streaming to OBS). The snag is I can't go in a shop and try any of them out while the pandemic is on. Can anyone make any recommendations?

12harry

Distinguished Member
Hi, the main issue with Action-Cams is their wide-angle lens. This is wonderful for skiing in the Alps, -or- a Bike-ride in well-lit woods... playing on the beech . . . these activities are more about "recording" the Event in case it can't be repeated.
For YT . . . . I doubt you can combine 4K, Wide-angle and have change from £200.

For a "better-presentation" you need to Edit the clips. include "Cutaways" (1-2 sec close-ups of something interesting that would go missing.), . Audio is something you need to target...possibly a separate tie-clip mic and dedicated Audio Recorder (Zoom start at £80)... If you don't get the presentation "right" - then another start is easy enough (to replace the first).... or restart part-way if the talking is flagging.

Do you expect to make money from these clips? They will need to be very good - that's something that will come with experience...- For something like £50 you can buy GoPro look-alike action-cameras - but these aren't ideal IMHO, since just about everything is "fixed".... you will see similar faults during Lockdown-TV where the bookcase behind the politician is in focus and ( if they are close )-their face is distorted.

These clips also demonstrate that "Lighting" is something to consider seriously, so the politician is the centre of attention.

I really think you will need to budget higher - although a cheapo-Action camera (~£50?)...could be a good way in. .. . as long as you accept its limitations . . . . and as they come with helmet-straps you could enjoy cycling-trips next year round.

Good Luck.

The Terrible Tiggy

Novice Member
Thanks for the help! I'm intending to just talk into a camera about writing, so nothing fancy. I don't really want to to be super wide angle, and in fact I would prefer if it wasn't because I don't want to look bloated. Lighting is covered (I'm a photographer) and sound shouldn't be a big issue as I have a semi-pro mic. It's just that I don't have the camera part.

D

Deleted member 765458

Can your present camera record video ? And at what resolution , maximum time length of recording?

Last edited by a moderator:

The Terrible Tiggy

Novice Member
Uh? I don't know what that first line means, but as long as it can do 1080p or above and look good doing it I don't mind. I don't think time is a factor as I'm not taking it out and about.

D

Deleted member 765458

Can your present photography camera record video ? And at what resolution , maximum time length of recording?

The latest video from AVForums

Maverick UK Premiere IMAX Review + Top Gun, Tom Cruise, Tony Scott and 4K + Movie/TV News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom