1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Entry level Speakers for £200-250?? opinions

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Paoles, Jun 1, 2005.

1. Paoles

Paoles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I’m looking to build a good/entry level 5.1 system and I need to buy two main floorstanders and a central for around £200-250. I’m considering the speakers listed below. I’d appreciate any opinions/help you might have:

1. Tannoy R2 with MX Central (might be able to snatch the R2 at £180 – ex demo – and the central at £50)
    2. Tannoy Fusion 3 with Fusion C
    3. Kef Cresta 30 with Coda 80 as central (not too keen on the color of the Cresta but it’s not the main factor + probably not much sense to have central better then mains)
    4. Gale 3030 or Celestion F30 with relative central (RicherSounds offered me these solutions saying that both Gale and Celestion are better then the Kef Cresta 30 – however I’ve never heard these two brands and I doubt this opinion, although the Cresta 30 might be an old model)

Further considerations (not in specific order):
    · I’ve got a pair of Tannoy Mx2 that I would use as rears
    · I would use speakers for both music and films
    · I don’t like the look of the Mordaunt Short and therefore I’m not including them in the options.
    · Ampli is Yamaha RXV 350
    · I could get all the above solutions for around £200-250 and would like to remain in this range
    · I tried to demo some speakers but not all of them were available
    · In theory I’d prefer to opt for a central with a max 14 cm height (that include the Coda, and the Celestion) but probably exclude all the others
    · Room size: apprx 6m x 5m (something like 19x16 – not too sure though)
    · Sub: considering taking the powerbuy offer on the Velodyne CHT-8

Sorry for the long thread but I would really appreciate if you could provide your opinions on the following:

a. which option would you choose and why?
    b. Which combination would you chose to accommodate the 14cm height on the central (i.e. R2 and Coda? – most expensive solution though)
    c. Which one you would exclude and why
    d. Any other alternatives (excluding used for the time being)

Thanks a lot,

P.

2. eviljohn2

eviljohn2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +208
    If you can get the matching F35c centre speaker the Celestion F30's would be a good choice. It's important to try and get a centre speaker that matches your 2 main speakers.

Also don't discount the second hand market, I've bought most of my speakers 2nd hand and it really does make your money go much further. :)

3. Nobber22

Nobber22

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +111
    RS are correct about the Cresta 30's = plodding bass. Avoid.

4. Paoles

Paoles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the prompt reply - Glad to hear that Celestions are not that bad - I can definitely find the matching centre (and would actually fit my 14cm need) - I'm aware of the good deals on second head but I'm struggling on time to test them and wouldn't buy without checking.
    tks again
    P.

5. Paoles

Paoles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I should have said quick replies then.

I thought to compensate for the Cresta by adding a big Sub but you both convinced me - one option less.
    Tks,
    P.

6. Astaroth

Astaroth
    Suspended

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +882
    You should also be able to pick up something like a Mission M73i & M7c2 within your budget.

You may also want to consider going for second hand items as given your limited budget you will be able to get more bang for your buck.

7. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    The Tannoy R2's are superb speakers for the money - good build, nice real wood veneers, musical, unfatiguing sound, great midrange, sweet treble and deep(ish) bass. If you have less than £200 and want a great floorstander for MUSIC - look no further.

however,

I wouldn't use them for home cinema

The cabinet adds significant colouration at high volumes - you hear less of the movie and more of the speaker, if you see what I mean. Most home cinema packages come with standmounted fronts for this reason.

Smaller cabinets are generally stronger and resonates less than large floorstanding cabs. Bass duties are passed-over to a dedicated sub (which should be very well braced internally, given its function/role).

This, of course, assumes you like to listen to movies at ear-splitting volumes (I do). If you watch movies at normal volumes, the R2's should be OK.

Also remember that they're a 6ohm load and the RXV350 is a bit of a wimp in the driving department ;)

DT

8. hornydragon

hornydragon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Somewhere near the M4 most of the time......
    Ratings:
    +1,218
    have a look at accoustic energy B- stock very good VFM there is a link around here some where!!!

9. Londondecca

Londondecca

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +96
    Dont discount the Mission M71's, incredible sound with a decent stand

10. Paoles

Paoles

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for all your replies.

DT: to be honest I was sorry to miss by few hours your sale of the R2 - however Music still plays an important role for me and I wouldn't pump up the volume to much (I live in a flat!) so I don't exclude the R2 yet, though thanks for the receiver comment - it's in any case difficult to test a system buying in different places.

I've tried to look at the classified on the forums but a part from the missed R2 I couldn't find anything yet, but I'll keep trying - I'm in no rush.

I'll try to have a demo of the Mission next week. And I also saw the B-stock thread, I'll check it again.

I'm more keen on floorstanders in any case otherwise I can probably use my Mx2 as main a find "smaller" rears. In case I had to opt for the R2 or other floorstanders mentioned above would the Velodyne CHT-8 too powerfull? Also, I'm not an expert on this, but can't I adjust volume levels for each set of speakers?

Thanks again,
    P.

11. dynamic turtle

dynamic turtle

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Yeah, sorry Paoles, the R2's have been sold. Seeing as you're going to be listening at moderate volumes, they should definately be on your list.

Standmounts generally give superior (note: more accurate) performance for music too, but budget models can be bass-lite. How about a (used) pair of B&W 602's - a large standmount with plenty of bass!

You should be able to find a pair for £150-£250 depending on their age etc. They're also a lot more sensitive than the R2's, which will make life easier for your RXV-350

I would look at upgrading your receiver next - I owned an RXV-640 and whilst it was technically a very good HC recevier for the money, it did struggle to drive 6 channels (to be fair, they were 4 & 6ohm speakers).

AFAIK you can adjust the volume levels for speakers independently, but check your receiver's feature list to be sure. Usually the range is +/- 6dB.

DT